What's a good sleeper head - $500 or less

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jeffhef, Oct 8, 2005.

1. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I like EL84'sa but may be interested in anything. I've just picked up a 4x12 REALLY CHEAP and I'd like to get a head - less than 50 watts - to run into it.

jeffhef

2. Swain

Swain Member

Agreat amp, is an old tube P.A. amp. Bogen is a great brand. With a few tweaks, you will have a KILLER guitar amp head. :D

3. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

4. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

traynor bassmaster yba-1

5. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

To me this one is an absolute no-brainer ...if you can find one and you frequently can .. a black face fender bassman!! A good one will give any vintage marshall a run for its money. Check the clip someone recently posted under: "ive done the unspeakable" thread. They are great amps. And still a good bargain.

6. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

7. gearo999

gearo999 Member

8. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Peavey Classic 50, Ultra 60/120
    Laney TT20, GH50L
    Sovtek Mig 50, 60 and 100

9. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I absolutely agree about the blackface Fender Bassman! But dissagree about it giving a run for the money with a vintage plexi. They don't compete as it's an apples vs oranges comparison. But you can't get a plexi for the price of a Bassman, so grab a Bassman.

10. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

+1 on the Traynor Bass-Master YBA-1

11. Reeek

Reeek Member

The Sovtek MiG-60 is a fantastic amp for the money running EL34's and can smoke when tubed and biased properly. It has huge transformers and a trim pot inside the chassis for biasing to make it easy.

I owned one and it really rocked big time.

12. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

sovtek tube midget

laney aor50

laney gh50l

13. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

I just picked up an 80's EL34 powered Laney AOR Protube 50 for $300.00 and as long as you don't try to use the max gain available it sounds pretty sweet. It'll clean up by rolling the guitars volume back just like my 2204 then if I need more gain I slam it with an OD pedal(a classic setup for Marshalls). Very JCM800'ish and with the bass and mid knobs pulled (EQ boost) its a bit more lowend ballsier than my 2204. In fact, because of the versatility of the tone knobs, it has replaced my 2204 for gigging. I'll still use the 2204 for recording though.

14. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Peavey Classic series or a Trademark 60.............I've seen a few Mesa's right around that price point as well if you look hard enough. The Hybrid Marshalls are cool............But the Best!?

Music Man..................Hands down. :dude :dude :dude

best kept secret in all of Vintage land. Magnatones are usually combos but they make awesome back ups and studio treasures as well..............

15. Nigel11

Nigel11 Member

I have a Carvin x-100b,it's a great amp.I have had it for about 13 or 14 years with no problems.I don't know if you could find one though,they were discontiued about 10 years ago.You could try guitar.com or ebay.If you don't mind solid state try a Marshall valvestate or Vox valvetronix.I really like both of those and you can get them cheap new.

16. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

Well its all a matter of opinion I suppose..but I had a '72 P2P Marshall at the same time I had a '64 Bassman and I didnt find them to be all that dissimiliar really. I had one guy who was recording tracks for an album and had a old P2P marshall hear my bassman and ask me bring it into the studio so he could track with it cuz it had similar gain to his Marshall but just sounded thicker. --also begged me to sell it to him-- Im not a circuit nerd by anymeans and i know a BF is a bit different than the tweed circuit but as I understand it the 1st Marshalls were copies of the tweed Bassmans so I wonder how much really they diverged by the time the BF's were out. I grew up near this guy guy named Karl Cochran --who is a moster player really, and always has a great heavy sound-- and he had some of the best P2P 69-72 Marshalls ive heard..but he has a BF bassman that he plays out sometimes and to me you cant really even tell the difference. It is possible his BF was modded in some way..--maybe running EL34's--not really sure on that. That said..glad you agree on the BF Bassman issue..they really do kill if you get a good one. And certainly can be picked up for a bargain.

17. Antero

Antero Member

Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 (HOLY CRAP I LOVE IT SO MUCH)
    Silvertone 1483 (which is almost the same thing)
    Sovtek Mig (the various models)
    Traynor YBA-1
    Carvin Vintage 50
    Carvin X-100 and the ilk
    Bogen and such

18. gulliver

gulliver Member

Old Bassmans are nice, but missing that awesome Fender reverb found on old silverface amps that may cost even less ... if that's the sound you're looking for.

Traynor Blues 50s are nice, just over $500.

19. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I don't use reverb. What I'd like to know is where you guys are getting these Bassman heads for less than $500. I'd love to score one of these for that kind of money.

The Mig's seem to be definitely in the price range. I've never played one but have heard good stuff.

Isn't there another Canadian brand other than Traynor? Seems like I heard a clip someone posted about a year ago having people guess what he was using. I can't remember the name of the head but it looked kinda small and seemed to be in the price range.

jeffhef

20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Hey you guys, stop telling people about the YBA-1, the prices are going up as a result. ;)

[​IMG]