Whats a good small cheap amp for church use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by squeally dan, Jul 12, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

What amp would sound better than my powerblock I am currently using but will still be small and portable?

2. groovadelic

groovadelic Member

3. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Fender G-Dec, Randall RM20.

4. guitarmind

guitarmind Supporting Member

Try a tube Fender Champion 600 :AOK

5. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Better than the powerblock?

6. hunter6726

hunter6726 Member

I like those little vox amps. A friend of mine has been running two black hearts through his ear monitors playing big stages. He says its the best sound he has ever had. He is even using them on master sessions.

7. albuht813

albuht813 Member

Victoria 5112. tube, 5W, 12" speaker. Super light.

8. Ascension

Ascension Member

Best Rig IMO is the Zinky 25 wat Blue Velvet combo. Bruce designed the Velvet to get solid tones at low volumes and that makes it perfect for Church use.
    One of the best inexpensive tube combos I have found for Church use is something you would not expect. That is the 100 watt Carvin MTS!! The MTS is great at pulling nice crunch tones at low volumes. Better in fact than any Marshalls or other Carvins I have tried as well as any of the Boogies. The MTS is small and relatively inexpensive but is pretty heavy though.
    Low wattage in an amp does NOT mean it will get solid tones at low VOLUME!!

9. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

What about the small Fenders? Epiphone? Roalnd?

10. SoulToStrings

SoulToStrings Member

Roland Cube ! I swear by this amp for practicing. Plus the built in effects aren't bad.

www.soultostrings.com
    You will see my boutique amp collection. I trust the Roland Cube for all of my practicing & small gig needs. Let me know if you have any questions.

11. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Thinking about finding a used Roland cube, Fender pro junior, or Fender BLues Jr? What you say? Whats the difference between the 2 Fenders?

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Fender Super Champ XD. Nothing is even close in the price range.

13. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

14. pdouds

pdouds Member

traynor ycv40 is a great little amp.

15. klaetos

klaetos Member

A step up from the blues jr is the HK Edition Tube 20. MF and Music 123 had a great sale going on this. I think they are out of stock but more may come in. Two channel, tube, loop, reverb. I had this one for a while.

Blues Jr would also work fine though or even the Crate V15 (Palamino 15 at GC). You might also check out the Vox AC15 or I have heard the new Line 6 Valve Spider works pretty good. Lot's of options in the under $500 category and you can pick some up for a lot less used or on Ebay.

16. Ascension

Ascension Member

Had a Roland Cube 60 andf never could get a tone live I could live with. Sounded ok by itself but when I got in a full band situation it just didn't cut through and felt "fake".
    I used a Fender Super Sonic for a while pretty cool rig. Now I am using a trio of Fender Prosonics.
    The Carvin MTS is shockingly good for the $ I tell ya!! The 100 watts are easier to controll and get solid tones out of than most 15-20 watters I have used at low volumes. My 100 watt MTS flat nuked my Boogie Subway Rocket at low volume crunch tones even running both through the same cab!
    Bro aren't you in the Birmingham Alabama area? Seems like I saw a couple of your posts in the Birmigham Music Store recomendation thread. I was the house guitarist for several years over at Cathedral Of the Cross in Centerpoint and all I do is worship stuff.

17. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I don't know about church use. But a good, no GREAT small amp is a Fender Champ. Run it into your favorite speaker cab and you are golden.

I also have an Alamo Embassy amp. I picked it up for $50 bucks from a guy out in western mass. Its essentially a champ but with a ten inch speaker. I hear the company released several different amp designs using the same name. But they are great sounding amps, that can be had for a fair price. I check ebay for them all the time.

dk

18. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

+1. Or the Tech 21 TM series.

Mike

19. tmuka

tmuka Member

I have a '76 VibroChamp into a Weber 12A125 that I use at church- it sounds fantastic and I can run it at about 4 on the volume knob which for me is fender touch sensitive breakup territory, perfect for strat volume knob work.

20. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

I can't help but think that if you can swing the $$$, the new Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue would be perfect. I suspect an AC15 might be a second choice.