What's a good speaker for a Supro type amp?

thisday1

I've recently come into a Supro style amp. Its the 24 Lite model from the turretboards site built by Joe Morgan. It came with a G12H30 which was good but the overdrive tones were kind of all over the place, not focussed, but it was LOUD. I replaced it with a Greenback and it sounded good. It was more focussed and mid-rangy, but quieter. It gave the amp more of a fender sound. I'm looking for something that will give it more of a Vox sparkle while still remaining focussed like the Greenback, but more volume like a G12H30. I'm not a huge speaker guy. i've only tried a few. Any suggestions?

cranqued

Gold Supporting Member
I don't have any direct experience with this, but Mike Moods (builder of Magic Amps) talks about speaker selection for his Supro-style amp in this thread.

As far as the Jensen vs the Celestion... The best sounding speaker I have heard with this amp is an old Jensen Vibranto. Nothing else comes close... if you are trying to get an "authentic" Supro tone. The Vibranto is the bomb and I have Weber building me a wanna-be replica. None of the modern Jensen speakers sound like the originals. Not bad but no cigar IMO. I will offer the amp with a Jensen-ish speaker when I find a suitable model. The Celestion brings the amp into a very gigable level and adds a Marshall-ish element and intensity that a lot people are diggin'. It also sounds exceptional clean which surprised me.
The Celestion he's talking about is the G12H30. And by the way, there are a couple of Jensen Vibrantos on ebay right now (not my auction).

thisday1

thanks. Don't know if I want a classic supro sound, but i do want a little more sparkle then im getting with the greenback

gravy

check with joe morgan, i`m sure he`d have some suggestions. as a supro user i`m curious myself!

gkoelling

ask LeonC here on TGP. He has much experience with Supro, Magnatone, Silvertone, etc.

Last edited:

Trending Topics