What’s a Jaguar good for?

UrbanHymns

Supporting Member
Serious question. None of my “guitar heroes” play a Jag. None of my friends play one. And whenever I think of a Jag, I think of Johnny Marr or maybe surf tones? I like The Smiths and such, but don’t really ever play their tunes.

Yet I’m intrigued by their sound and look. Could I get one to fit in with my alt.country, pop, and alternative rock bands?

Ferg Deluxe

Gold Supporting Member
Serious question. None of my “guitar heroes” play a Jag. None of my friends play one. And whenever I think of a Jag, I think of Johnny Marr or maybe surf tones?

Yet I’m intrigued by their sound and look. Could I get one to fit in with my alt.country, pop, and alternative rock bands?
A very good fit for those kind of rootsy vibes, if you’re looking for jangly single-coily action.

captwillard

Serious question. None of my “guitar heroes” play a Jag. None of my friends play one. And whenever I think of a Jag, I think of Johnny Marr or maybe surf tones? I like The Smiths and such, but don’t really ever play their tunes.

Listen to the Johnny Marr solo stuff. That's a Jag. He didn't use one in the Smiths. They are cool guitars and can fit in with any type of music.

Bryan T

guitar owner
Silver Supporting Member
I got interested in jags earlier this year. I had long confused them with Jazzmasters, which I’ve never really liked ergonomically.

A few of my favorite musicians have played jags, namely Adrian Utley (Portishead) and Marc Ribot.

I think they are quite versatile guitars. Try one and see what it inspires you to play.

I view it more as a percussion instrument, in the hands of most people. Sometimes as a prop.

There's a relatively small number of players who could probably use basically any electric and make it sound great. You and I are not them - we're just not. I don't think Marr or some of these other masters are trying to show off when they do things with Jaguars the rest of us can't do. They just like the challenge of it, and if you can set yourself apart from the "competition" then why wouldn't you.

+

There is a small subset of players I don't want to stomp on. Their hands are petite, or perhaps they've had an injury or illness and the hand strength we take for granted - they don't have it. It isn't their fault. The amount of effort to play a single note on a Jaguar with a narrow, scaled down neck is less and I don't begrudge these players' need for advantage in this area. The Jaguar is really meant for them. That's why Jaguars should always be available.

Guitarwiz007

Silver Supporting Member
What's Jaguar good for? For me? Kindling. For you? Possibly everything you want in a guitar or fills a niche. Try one. If you don't like it, move it along. Everyone is different and in your hands, there might be magic there. I hated mine. You may absolutely love it!!

Trending Topics