What's a nice 4-8 input mic preamp?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by TommiK, Mar 18, 2012.

1. TommiK

TommiK Member

I'm looking to expand my recording setup a bit, mostly because I'd like to record our drummer's kit with better fidelity and more options.

I've currently got a RME Fireface 800-interface, which has 4 mic inputs, so it's not really enough to individually mic even his smallish set. I can do a basic 4 mic setup, but I'm having trouble getting the toms sounding nice, fat and present just by using overheads, so I'd need more inputs to mic the toms, and possibly also to add an ambient mic and a another mic for the bottom of the snare.

So, is there anything decent like that available in the 1000$ or slightly above price range? Perhaps with ADAT or SPDIF output, so I wouldn't use up the 6 free line inputs remaining on my Fireface (it's got 10 line-ins, 4 of which are shared by the onboard mic pres).

I'm mostly looking for something rather portable, for demos and live recording purposes.

Thanks.

2. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Well there's the focusrite octopre mkii/dynamic which comes up a bit under budget for mid range sort of quality, good for live recording, that's 8 pre's via ADAT. I'd also take a look at the sytek pre's. From memory you could get 4 for under the 1k mark.

3. TommiK

TommiK Member

Yeah, I was looking at the Focusrite, the features and price seem right. Any experience on how it sounds? Any reliability issues etc.?

I'll check out the syteks too.

Thanks.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

Sytek MP4, used around $600 - this is the one, if you want to make a significant step up.

API3124+ about $2K - can't go wrong with this.

5. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

I own the focusrite, never had a hiccup with it in the last year and a half I got it for both the extra inputs and the extra 8 outputs it provided, soundwise, better than my m audio profire 2626 pre's, not as good as my duet pre's. The sytek is a nicer unit though if you only need the preamps, I think it's just pre's though with no conversion.

6. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

+1. It's become the industry standard in its class.

7. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

+1 for Sytek if you're on a budget

ISA 428 is another to look at it your budget is a bit higher, but not as high for API's/Neves. I've seen these as low as 1 grand if you shop (patiently) used.

Daking, API and Neve are the big league if you're not worried about a budget.

I'd love a 3124 and a 473 side by side for drums. Maybe in a few years :)

8. Somniferous

Somniferous Member

If you really search around you might be able to find an API 3124 used for around $1500-1800. IMHO best multi channel pre out there outside of building a lunchbox.

9. jb4674

jb4674 Member

If you want to keep it on the cheap, get a used Presonus Firestudio and hook it up to the RME via ADAT.

10. jamesie

jamesie Member

why not the rme octamic (d)?