What's a non-boutique version of an Anderson or a Grosh HSH?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rorschah, May 24, 2006.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

At the various shops in L.A., I've had a few intense oh-holy-god experiences with guitars, and they've been with Anderson and Grosh modern designs. They've all got the same groove - fender scale (or, in one custom case, I think a PRS scale), a groove that's sort of like a slightly thin tele or a slightly thicker strat, and Gibson-esque tone woods, and an HSH combo. (Or, in one case, two P90s).

I think they're just about perfect.

Of course, they're all way outta my budget.

Is there a lower-rent version of this sort of thing? Like, sub $800?

-thi

2. onemind

onemind Member

Ernie Ball Silhouette

3. rorschah

rorschah Member

I should add:

most of the HSH I've played seem to be made for shreddin'. Pushed for that high, precise sound. The Anderson and Grosh aesthetic is more - everything. Bigger and warmer and yet still fender-souled. I want it for, you know, jazz and dub and everything.

Don't think it's just the pickups, either.

-thi

4. webb

webb Member

If possible, just wait and save for the guitar you want. I know this is a drag but I think you'll be happier in the long run. I've seen some very nice used andersons sell in the $1200-1400 range, you're closer than you think.

5. rorschah

rorschah Member

Part of the desire for an HSH is for a go-anywhere guitar, and a lot of the places I go - uh, I wouldn't want to take a guitar that was that substantial of my wordly resources.

Someday an Anderson, but right now I need something like this for gigs.

6. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Aren't the Fender Big Apple Strat's HSH? Even if they're only HH, There's probably a route for a single in the middle, just add one that you like.

I just checked Fender's site, and it's looking like the Big apple is HH. I'd be betting theres a route though. Call Fender in the morning, they can tell you. Then start surfing e-Bay, I've seen several Big Apples over there within the last year in what appears to be great shape.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

8. rorschah

rorschah Member

Yeah - Comanche is nice. I played one - best freaking neck ever, man. But not quite it.

You know, I just realized something dumb - it's not the Super Strats I'm into. They're all HSH mahogany-esque TELES that I dug.

<slaps head>

Didn't even realize.

9. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Now you tell us;)

My same answer in going to Fender or G&L would apply. You're not going to get the spiffy mahogany wood, but there are Tele's with HH configs as well as SSS configs (Nashville) with a 5 way selector (Fender calls these "Strat-Tone" switching.) - although with the SSS you would have to change out the bridge to accomodate a traditional HB Pickup. There is usually a route for a middle pickup, either mod, or replace the pickguard and your in business.

10. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Member

Pick up a used boutique guitar that suits your fancy. You'll get it for near the price of a production guitar. Warning though... you'll never go back! :)

11. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

Just get an Anderson Classic or Grosh used. All anderson classics are routed HSH. I think the grosh equivilent is a swimming pool rout. If you keep your eye out you can get either used for not much $.

12. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

+1 on a used boutique strat.My next choice would be Music Man or G&L. Also USA custom or Warmoth parts guitars are real good,but more labor intensive to get just right.Some of the import Yamaha and Ibanez guitars are fairly decent.I haven't played a Fender worth owing in more years than I can remember.

13. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Musicman Silhouette . Boutique build quality at real-world prices, and the best necks in town.-Eric

14. SFW

SFW Member

Godin, perhaps? I think they make excellent guitars for a reasonable price.

15. MOJO

MOJO Member

actually that a good suggestion.. they do a superstrat model (is it the Freeway?) and are suppose to be pretty nice for the money... and you can even upgrade the pickups and still come in under $800

16. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

Go check out the Godin Freeway Classic. HSH, Flame maple top, Fender scale, Canadian Company, but assembled in the USA. They can be had for under $500 bucks and will give a US strat a good run for the money. Absolutely slamming guitars for the cash.

17. straightblues

straightblues Member

If it is only the pickups you are worried about, any strat would do and you can rout it out for the HSH. That way you can chose the pickups you like as well.

But, if it is more than the pickups I would recommend waiting for a great used one to come along.

18. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Godin's a good idea. :AOK

Another cheap option might be the Squier 'Master Series" Chambered Tele, which is basically Fender's idea of a telepaul. The scale is 24.75", though, and it's an HH configuration without a scratchplate. Still, if we're talking cheap...