• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

What's a pickup that has the same output as a 498T but with more bass?

Nickerz

Don't get me wrong, I know it's a somewhat bassy pickup. But I'm contemplating dropping some of my guitars. Right now I play mostly Floyd guitars, but when I want to play dirty nasty ol' stoner rock, I pickup a Les Paul with a fixed bridge. You definately lose some of the "girth" a guitar has when you chop a huge chunk out of it. So I'm trying to get a little bit of both worlds here if I can!

I absolutely don't want to go over 14k as I've noticed that seems to be the cutoff where I lose the meat and it all compresses.

Thanks for any help guys!

Most people that replace their T-tops do not improve their situations at all .. often they take a giant step sideways .. and, sadly, a healthy step backward .. T-tops are kind of hard to beat .. In all honesty .. if I were you I would consider changing those caps and pots .. 300k just doesnt cut it .. And some Orange Drops would really help matters ..

Before I did anything at all with the pickups, I would seriously invest in a graphic equalizer .. These are an amazing contribution to your sound and can solve many different tonal problems that may arise with other guitars and amplifiers in the future .. it's an excellent tool to have in your toolbox .. I can't tell you how helpful they are .. be certain to get one with a volume control as in the instances I have seen people forego that option they have, at times, painted themselves into a corner where a volume control would have given them an out

Speaking from experience, as I have swapped my T-tops from time to time, I often put the 490 back in the neck position because it's that good ... I do swap it out from time to time with a Lollar Imperial but the 490 often sits where it sat the day it left the factory ... Great pickup ..

in the bridge position sits a Gibson Dirty Finger .. Which i love .. and for the most part it has a forever home but I have occasionally pulled it for some recordings and just $h!t$ & giggles to try new things .. The Super Distortion finds its way into my bridge position often but the Gibson Dirty Finger most often returns to stay for huge blocks of time as it delivers what i want in most applications

If after you mess around with your graphic equalizer you find you are still not happy with the T-tops .. then consider the pots and caps replacement .. T Tops are very good pickups .. Be ever mindful of that

I have a very particular idea of the Les Paul sound that i like .. Super Distortions NEVER disappoint - ever. There is good reason why they have been in production and finding their way into Les Pauls since the mid-70s

ASIDE: I have an old set of Super Distortions and the bridge meters out at 13.6k - not the 11k-ish figure mentioned by another respondent

Here's a quick glimpse of GDFs in a heavier context .. Mind you, they are bassier than the vid suggests .. Great bottom end

Last edited:
I can't say, but I once got a 490t for free (11.2k) that someone had replaced with a Dimarzio Super Distortion (11.6k) and I was like "Really?, lol, for .4k???? Sweet!"
Let's face it .. There are no T-tops like free T-tops .. Great pickups .. True performers .. I often discourage people from replacing them as they really deliver that Classic Les Paul sound

In regards to Super Distortions .. Some are significantly hotter than those you have mentioned .. Even so .. The person that gave the 490T to you, in my estimation made a mistake .. That's one helluva performer .. Congrats .. That thing is a "keeper" .. The only pickup that i like as much as the 490 for that neck position is a Lollar Imperial .. but the 490 resides there most often .. Enjoy that thang, man .. Killer p'up

jvin248

Mod order for better tone:
-Adjust pickup heights (lower), tip (bass vs treble side), and screw poles like a mini EQ pedal.
-Measure pots 'n caps and swap to push pickup tone, pots have a 20% tolerance range max/min that can sound different just like a nominal 500k sounds different than a nominal 250k or 1Meg do. Even when dimed they color your pickup output.
-Series cap on a too-muddy pickup, more boutique clarity and note definition
-Last is swap pickups and go back to the top of the list.

Otherwise you end up swapping $200 pickup sets to fix a $20 pots 'n caps problem.

zwiefldraader

You are NOT after a different PU in my opinion.
The magnet swap would be a cheap and easy way, but essentially, what you are after is lowering the resonance frequency of the circuit.
That's an easy to do.
You have a pedal board? You have a buffer? Turn it off!
Or use a cheapo guitar cable instead of high quality. Or doubled length.
EQ is another good idea and gives the possibility to have two general sounds available.
If you want to mess with the guitar, the pots are a good way to start with. 250k, like in a Strat, will darken considerably and give a smoother taper. In my opinion.
But what I would do is installing a Z-Switch. Which shuts down some top end to ground and, if placed right in the circuit, lowers the RF. All you need is a very, very small cap.
If you go one Push/Pull pot, you can make it switchable.
Got one in my Strat that way. Kills!

zeffbeff

I recently did some recording, and I found a JB with 250K pots to be sorta similar to the 498T.

amstrtatnut

Let's face it .. There are no T-tops like free T-tops .. Great pickups .. True performers .. I often discourage people from replacing them as they really deliver that Classic Les Paul sound

In regards to Super Distortions .. Some are significantly hotter than those you have mentioned .. Even so .. The person that gave the 490T to you, in my estimation made a mistake .. That's one helluva performer .. Congrats .. That thing is a "keeper" .. The only pickup that i like as much as the 490 for that neck position is a Lollar Imperial .. but the 490 resides there most often .. Enjoy that thang, man .. Killer p'up
Ive never heard them called t tops.

Nickerz

I recently did some recording, and I found a JB with 250K pots to be sorta similar to the 498T.
What do you think was different about the two?

I recently decided to cull my list down to 3 canidates. I know people are saying "you don't need to swap" but I'm actually taking EMGs out of a guitar. Which I actually love EMGs, but this is just a case of having too many EMG guitars.

I've got it down to

L500XL
498T

And would consider a JB

Sort of my rule of thumb is I don't generally acquire gear unless I'm either reasonably certain it will track well because it is so close to something else proven, or there's already recordings of said gear. Then if I like playing it too, I know that I'm setup well to play at home, live and demo. It puts me closest to where I want to be.

I've got all my thrash stuff sorted and I'm expanding into more stroner\hard rock. EMGs simply are too hot for this because it hits the front end too hard in a bad way. The signal is too narrow.

My concern about the JB, even though I'm 100% okay with it (since I'm a huge Cantrell fan), is that I think the JB has been described as somewhat nasal. In that regard I think both the XL and 498T might be better choices.

I'll be opening another thread about the 498T vs the L-500XL

Riffzilla

You might like an SD Custom 5 depending on the guitar it's going in. I think it's similar to the 498T (IE a good all rounder for rock and metal) but with less of that grittiness and raspy mids which can grate on you with the 498T. I'm considering going back to one in my SG. I play a lot of stoner rock stuff and it works great for that. You need a middy sounding guitar though otherwise it's going to sound too scooped imo. In the SG which is all mids it's a nice balanced mid output tone. Luckily you can turn it into any of the Custom range with a simple magnet swap if you don't like the scooped mids of the A5. I really liked the A2 magnet (Custom Custom) in my strat.

No worries. It currently sits in the 1941 Electar lapsteel replacing the ginormous horseshoe pickup that needs a bobbin rewind. Sounds so good I haven't bothered fixing the original, lol.
Yes, nice pickups.
Lol @ not bothering to fix original .. Hehe .. Good for you, man .. Enjoy

Last edited:

Trending Topics