What's a Spaceman Mercury III worth these days

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by crowquill, Apr 24, 2015.

1. crowquill

crowquill Member

I've got one and I'm hard up for money. It's #15/80 of the silver ones. How much could I expect to get for it?

2. rbrogan

rbrogan Supporting Member

3. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Those eBay listings are old. I know one sold on the emporium a few months back for $550 that was one of the silver editions you have. He sold it in a day too.

I've got a white one w the adjustable indicator (copper has 10, white 30, and silver 80). Got it in the last year and w the trade I included it was easily $600+.

So, for the silver I'd say the range is $550-650. Honestly, I thought I got a good deal on mine. There is a person on here with a copper version that wanted $2000.

It may get up to those levels one day, but for now I'd say your silver version is in the range above. It's the best boost I've ever played. Just so few have actually gotten their hands on it that it doesn't get as much pub as it should. It's every bit "Klon" worthy in terms of reverance, imo.

4. dirtyduke

dirtyduke Supporting Member

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Yikes! Pricey pedal! I love Spaceman stuff though. I have an original run Aphelion. Stellar pedal. I can only image the Mercury is just as awesome!

6. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

I have 04 / 10 copper, bought it here on TGP, about a year ago??? Think I paid between $500 - $600?...I also have a Saturn V and an original Aphelion and I do prefer the Merc to the other two. I have the Merc on my pedalboard....if these are really that valuable, I may have to rethink that!

7. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

If the data is of any use, I sold a white one on here about 6 months ago for $550. It was also scuffed and I lost the box/papers/bag but the buyer didn't seem to mind. Sold in a day I believe. Good luck.

8. PurpleJesus

I'd say you got a good deal!

Honestly, when the guy told me he wanted $2000 I was kind of a jerk and laughed at him. I don't think it's worth that much, but if you put it up on Reverb at $1000 I bet you'd get it. I really do. You just can't find them and since he'll never make any more of them if you WANT one then you're gonna have to pay whatever it is to get it. A lot of folks out there will do just that within reason.....even if $1000 seems insane, hell, compared to a Klon we're talking a 50% savings! Giving the damn thing away!

Also, I've got a Saturn V and an Aphelion (had a first edition - part of the trade for the Merc III I got, and now have a 2nd edition) - all great pedals. I'd say the Saturn and the Merc are two of my three favorites of the Spaceman pedals. I love his pedals.

9. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Spaceman did a reissue of these like he has with a few of his other pedals.

10. PurpleJesus

I begged for a while and he said that parts just aren't available and what he has he needs to keep for any warranty work. So, I doubt he does a reissue of the Merc, and if he does, it'll have to be w/ different circuitry.

11. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

It might be a little different component wise, but I bet it will happen.

12. pale fire

Yeah - at the time, it was a stretch because I had bought the other two for closer to $350 - $400, but I knew how rare the Mercury was. I just had the three of them side by side last week to compare and they are all great, but the Mercury works really best (for me) as both a "rawk" pedal and a booster before OD to kick the OD up during leads. The other two are a bit darker - I find the Merc to preserve / enhance clarity (the way I have it set).

And...mine came with box, case candy, etc...hadn't thought much about the value - and luckily I don't need $$$ right now, so not tempted to sell.

13. PurpleJesus

Yeah, I got all the box candy, as well, and am glad to have one of the smaller runs (30 total in the white edition), but you've definitely go the Rolls as far as the Merc III goes. Mine had velcro on it, but nothing a little Goof Off couldn't fix, it's surprisingly mint given it's age and the fact it was gigged heavily.

It's a REALLY transparent boost and with the tone switch it's really easy to pair with anything. I use it to either just boost the clean tone on a Fender, or to slam into an OD or fuzz like you do. I've got a Effectrode Helios and in the treble boost position on the Mercury III those two pedals just sing together. I keep the "Harmonics" knob full clock-wise the entire time. It's a great pedal, just great.

I've actually managed to buy all 9 of his pedals. It's my 2nd favorite out of all the Spaceman stuff.

14. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

Geez - more money than sense!
    Sell it for 500 bucks and giggle your way to the bank.

15. PurpleJesus

Why would you sell it for less than it's worth? You got an original Klon that I can buy from you for $500?

16. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

Your idea of worth is very different than mine. Lindsey Buckingham uses a 45 dollar SD-1 live with Fleetwood Mac. He's worth more than all of us but doesn't get bogged down in these booteek pedal shenanigans like so many in these parts.

More collectors than players.
    More money than sense.

And if I had a Klon, it would be all yours, mate.

17. pale fire

Art - for the record, I have MXR, Mooer, and many other "non - boutique" pedals....and some of them are very useful as well as being very affordable. The Spaceman pedals are on a different level - and that doesn't mean they are right for everyone, but I have played them side by side with other boosts and ODs that cost $50 and there is a difference.

Most people don't buy the cheapest beer or the cheapest car made, so I think we can all agree that it is great to be able to choose which products in your life you will pay more of in return for what you value (quality, durability, resale, etc..). To judge others' choices is a bit presumptuous I think.

And Lindsey also uses Renaissance guitars IIRC.....if he agreed that boutique was shenanigans then why not play a Chinese Epiphone?

18. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

Made by Turner - a friend since before the Tusk days. Its not like Vertex sought him out and asked to design something to slap his name on. I have no problem with people using whatever they want. For me, spending that much dough on a pedal is just silly. But to each their own. I hope the OP makes the money he needs, but I feel the value of this pedal is more based upon status of ownership over actual musical value. Especially at the price points people are throwing out.

19. pale fire

I bought a rs6 a while back and interacted with rick a bit. I really had a good experience and am saddened to see the recent posts about him. That guitar was a work of art. I also played a Gibson Chet sst as my main guitar for years and he was involved with the develment of that when he was at Gibson I think.

On the pedals - I can see where the flipping and speculation could seem annoying but I never bought gear based on resale etc. and I doubt many others do I know what you are getting at but I also think you have to recalibrate in what expensive means. It is not hard to spend 40k on a car nowadays and re weekly grocery trip for my family is 250 so what is 350 for a pedal you will play for a lifetime ?

20. PurpleJesus

Who the hell cares what you, or anyone else plays , or for that matter what their pedals are worth? I'm talking market value of a specific rare pedal. No one cares if you don't think it's worth it, if the market does, then that's its value. Your opinion on "booteek" doesn't matter in this discussion. Go get on your pedestal in another thread.

Should warren Haynes get rid of his gold Klon? Mayer and his Dumbles? Jackson Browne? The thousands of players w $3000+ amps and guitars just playing bars? Do you look down on them too?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015