What's an acoustic model that made you jaw drop when you heard it in person for the first time?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EagleDo, May 22, 2015.

1. EagleDo

EagleDo Member

youtube makes everything sound the same. What got your attention in person, and I'm not talking player!

2. Dashface

Dashface Member

The first time I heard a vintage acoustic opened my eyes (and ears)... After repairing the basket-case 1952 J-45 I got last year, I hit my first chord and was floored. There's really something to an older acoustic that is so very different from something new. So open and loud and active. It feels alive.

Of the new guitars, I've only really been floored like that by a J-200 and a really nice Martin 000-28. You can feel when an acoustic works with you.

3. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

Martin D-28
    Mine's from the 70's. It has a clean clear top end and good bass response. Good for strumming, fingerpicking and lead work. Cuts through in a band setting.
    I had a D-35 but didn't like it as a group guitar, it was better for an individual performer. A little darker sounding and more low end. Great for solo work.

4. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

A Gibson Hummingbird. The first time I played one I thought " this is what an acoustic is supposed to sound like."

I have an Alvarez acoustic that I am very fond of. It was broken for a few years, which is during the time I first laid hands on the Hummingbird. I'd really love to hear the two A/B'ed and see how the Alvarez stacks up, I think it would be pretty shocking how good the Alvie really is. That said, I still want a Hummingbird though.

5. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Any true Gibson.
    Also I played 2 Breedloves back to back. Both Atlas c250. One was basic Spruce/Mahogany, the other was Engleman/Ovagnol. I bought the E/O that day.

6. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

The Gibson J45 in my avatar. Its a 1974....has mojo and is a pawn shop rescue. Full of cracks, but sounds / plays incredible.
    Its a keeper. Close second: my 1973 BC Rich B28 Braz Rosewood. My first expensive guitar ever purchased.

7. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Generally speaking, most all-solid-wood-construction acoustics sound awesome. The first time an acoustic made my jaw drop was when I was 17. A friend showed us scalawags his daddy's 1940s Martin D-28. Not only did I hear it, I felt it from across the room. Then I played it (Blowing Free, Wishbone Ash of all things!). My jaw dropped again. I had to have one. I've had 7 Martins since then, but never got one like that.

2 specific and 'closer to affordable' models that I owned: a 1993 Santa Cruz Vintage Artist & a 2008 Bourgeois Country Boy - both mahogany sides/back. Simply awesome, jaw dropping tone.

My current 1979 Martin D-35 is especially toneful and makes me smile every time I play it.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  8. Jay K

Jay K Member

My Ryan Nightingale Grand Soloist. A truly great guitar!

SigXer and eflatminor like this.
  9. +3kk!

+3kk! Member

10. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

Played a Martin HD28 recently that was that way. A friends Gibson J50 from the late 60's was equally awesome.

11. quilsaw

quilsaw Supporting Member

I can think of a few stand-outs that I played and (now) can't forget:

Collings CJ
    Goodall Jumbo Baritone

12. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

Vintage Gordon Giltrap. Lovely to look at too!

13. custom53

custom53 Member

The first time I heard/played a 614 Taylor... Amazing sound..

14. s2y

s2y Member

Kinda depends on goals and price points. I think most non-cutaway Taylors sound really nice for a modern fingerstyle sound. Their 12 frets and the 618 are my personal favs.

15. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

Martin D15 -- for lack of a better term, the "earthiness" of an all-mahogany dreadnought is just about the most soulful acoustic tone I personally can think of.

[​IMG]

16. pattste

pattste Member

My Gibson Northern Jumbo, a limited edition (65 units worldwide), signed by Ren Ferguson.

[​IMG]

17. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Taylor Leo Kottke Signature 12-string. Picked it up just to check it out, started playing it, and couldn't put it down. Bought it. Still the best sounding acoustic I have ever played.

18. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

My Proulx dreadnaught. My jaw didn't drop but I smiled real big and thought "wow".

19. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

Couldn't tell you the model of either, but both Larivees I've played destroyed everything else in the room: Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, Breedloves, etc... some very nice guitars just flat out didn't sound good compared.

SigXer likes this.
  20. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

William Cumpiano jumbo. I heard someone playing one in the next room (1975) and had to see what was making that beautiful sound. The next year I ordered one and it's been my #1 acoustic since 1976.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    PW214 and TELECOLLECTOR like this.