What's been your best amp purchase for 2010???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rod, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Gruffnutz

Gruffnutz Member

MI Audio Revelation. Amazingly versatile amp and does everything really well.

The four FX loops are amazingly usefull.

[​IMG]

2. jjp

jjp Senior Member

I have not exactly been totally thrilled with any of the amp purchases I made in 2010. I started out with a Peavey C30. After putting up with incessant tube rattle and a utterly useless "2nd" channel, I traded it for a Fender PRRI. Soon after I bought that amp, I discovered that the PR amps have a tendency to fart out really badly with the volume up over 6. Got tired of trying to work around that problem. Sold it, and towards the end of November, early December, I bought a Mesa 112 LSS, only to have to deal with it blowing 3 rectifier tubes and five fuses in 6 weeks.

I took it back to the shop that I bought it, where they also have an inhouse repair shop. It will supposedly be ready today, but the tech said that it could be difficult to find anything wrong with it, unless there is noticeable signs of scorching.

I posted the problem over on the Boogie Board, and two other forum members chimmed in with the same problem. One of them was not so lucky. Some components in his still under warranty LSC fried when the rectifier arched, and Mesa would not warranty the amp. He paid over $85 to have it fixed. That kind of "Customer Service" does not instill confidence in me. I have decided that if they cannot find anything wrong, I'm going to exchange it for a Gibson LP as the store does not have any amps that I want.

Hopefully 2011 will be better! I've orderd a Swart AST Master, which I was told by Michael Swart is finished, and it will be shipped next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm done with big box amp companies. Strike 3, and yer' OUT!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  3. MSLBend

MSLBend Senior Member

Supersonic 22 ... by far.

4. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

For me 2010 was a very good year for me as far as amps purchase and trades.

Komet 60
    Two Rock Type 1
    Soldano 44 1x12 combo
    Fender Custom Shop 5E3
    Aiken Invader
    Atomic Reactor

5. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

That's what you call having the bases covered.;) That my friend is some fine amps.;)

6. Dicky

Dicky Member

Tone King Metropolitan

7. Dumb Bell

Dumb Bell Member

You have taste my friend. Too bad about the price difference.

8. johnnythefox

johnnythefox Member

9. Quintus

Quintus Member

Kingsley Tone Baron. Such a vast array of tonal options and tube combinations and all of them so rich and easy to dial in. Designed by Simon Jarrett to be a cross between a Fender/Vox in the preamp and a cross between a Marshall/Vox in the power section, this amp can indeed bring in the tones. I got this in a great transaction from TPG'er Tone Loco, and, no, he did not throw in the cat!

[​IMG]

10. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Marshall Class 5.;)
    Bought mine on new years eve and paid $299 new with a coupon at GC.
    It's fun to play and sounds good.
    It's also the cheapest amp I have bought in the past 10 years.

11. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I purchased an Egnater Tweaker 1x12 combo in August, 2010 and it has been one of the most enjoyable guitar related purchases I've ever made. Although I was aware of the Tweaker from various discussions here I had no real interest in the amp at first. I was considering the purchase of a Les Paul in July and I was in and out of a couple of local GC stores demo'ing various Historics side by side looking for a good fit. On my first demo I looked around for an amp that I thought would work nicely for the demo and there was a Tweaker combo sitting close to the LP's. I plugged in, set the controls for a vintage Fender'ish tone on the verge of breakup and went about demo'ing guitars. A few minutes in I realized that the amps tone wasn't just good enough for the task at hand - it sounded fantastic! I was plenty happy with my Mesa MkV combo at the time and wasn't giving any thought to purchasing a Tweaker. I simply noted that the amp sounded great.

I continued demo'ing Historic's for a few weeks and stuck with the Tweaker combo and consistent settings to make comparisons about as even as possible. As I continued to try out various Les Paul's I slowly came to the conclusion that they weren't really a good fit for me. I was by this time, however, really enjoying playing through the Tweaker and started to explore what else it could do. I could not find a bad sound in the amp. I asked to have a Tweaker combo and a head/cab moved to the amp room as I had only played the amp at lower volume up to this point. Within the hour I was absolutely sure that I wanted one of these amps. I definitely preferred the 1x12 combo to the head/cab setup (I generally prefer 1x12 combos to other form factors). I went home without the amp and gave myself a few days to consider it. I went back a few days later and grabbed the combo for ~$525 out the door.

I've now had the Tweaker combo for about 6 months and I'm enjoying it every bit as much as when I first brought it home. For a simple amp it provides such a wide range of tones and textures. It's plenty loud but also sounds great at lower output levels. Records wonderfully - in fact I'd go so far as to say this is my favorite studio amp ever.

The Egnater Tweaker 1x12 combo was definitely my best amp purchase of 2011.

...it was also my only so it wins by default. :D

12. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

this might sound ridiculous to some, but my best purchase was a jet city jca20h. i mean... its a little JCM 800 and I can play it at night.

13. Ziltoid25

Ziltoid25 Member

Egnater Tweaker and Peavy Classic 30 on second place.

14. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Silver Supporting Member

um, I didn't buy it until 2011, but my 1966 Vibrolux Reverb will be my best for both 2010 and 2011, I'm sure.

15. BillyBreathes

BillyBreathes Member

Got a really good deal on a '72 vintage Twin Reverb. It needs some work, but it will be worth it for sure. That's my best amp deal in quite a few years.

16. Aldwyn

Aldwyn Member

Without a doubt, my Tone King Metropolitan! Simply fantastic amp, especially on the rhythm channel with all it's buttery goodness!

17. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

Fryette Sig-X.

Again.

18. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Two Rock TS1. Not only the best amp purchase for 2010, but best amp purchase ever.

19. pablogu

pablogu Member

you are right,rock on!!

20. smoothsteve87

smoothsteve87 Member

I purchased a Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. I love the amp but ended up selling it and picking up and Egnater Tweaker combo. I loved both but stuck with the tweaker. I may one day own another Dr. Z, but I am loving the tweaker