What's better than a Weber Sig in Fender PR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BillyK, Jun 17, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've got a mint '73 Fender SFPR that was re-capped a couple of years ago after many years in storage. It had a cheapo replacement speaker in it from the original owner when I bought it back in the '70s.

I put a Weber Signature in it when the re-cap was completed and it sounds pretty good. Is there a speaker that you guys would recommend that would be significantly better than the Weber Sig? Like soooo much better it's a no-brainer upgrade, or should I just stick with the Sig??

2. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

12F150 and 12F150B would be a nice upgrade. I have Weber Blue Dogs in mine, but wasn't going for vintage Fender.

4. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks! I'd like to stick with a 10" in there - don't want to modify it to a 12".

I've got a 12F150 in my BFDR, and it's great IMO. But I don't know if the 10" version would result in a significant improvement over the Signature. I'd love to try a Weber alnico as well, but again, if it's not going to be a big improvement, I might just stay with the Sig.

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

I still think the Weber 10F150T is the best available 10 and matches great with a Princeton. Very woody and tight, very vintage sounding, but as loud as most 12s, I think it is rated 101 DB. Its old name was C10NQ. It has the Q cone and N voice coil.

6. wpod

wpod Member

I have a Weber 10F150T in my '68 drip edge and it sounds fantastic...Highly recommended...

7. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I thought PR meant Pro reverb. Sorry. I had a 65 Super with the CTS in it, I loved those speakers, but don't know much about any other 10s.

8. karmadave

karmadave Member

Can't go wrong with either the 10F150 or 10F150T. Both a huge improvements. The T-version is a bit brighter and the non-T a bit warmer. Guess it depends on your style. Ted Weber recommends the 10F150T, in a Princeton Reverb, but I went with the 10F150 and love it.

-KD

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the input! According to Ted Weber this AM, he said the that 10F150 would be:

Louder, more low end, better control at higher volumes, particularly on the low end.

Than the Signature. I think I am sold.

What about the Alnicos? Wouldn't they be warmer, bigger, just more of the good stuff?

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Wanted to revisit this question....

Does the Weber alnico speakers offer anything beyond that which is offered up by the 10F150??

11. evan_pollan

evan_pollan Member

I have a Weber alnico Silver Ten that is a fantastic speaker. It has a ton of top-end sizzle, yet the bass isn't too loose. I have it paired with a 12" ceramic California in a homebrew cab I made a couple of years ago -- it's wired so that each speaker can be driven individually, or you can bridge the pair and run it parallel.

I love to run a SFPR through just the Silver Ten in this cab. Forget the onboard Alltone -- I just disengage it and run the amp solely through the Weber. Sounds incredible.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Evan!

What specifically will the alnico Weber give me over the ceramic? I'd like to replace this speaker with the best that's out there (given my budget!).