1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What’s better than El Capistan?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by njt5046, Jan 3, 2018.

1. njt5046

njt5046 Member

I’ve been using my El Cap at the end of my chain for a touch of reverb, slapback delay and a small boost. It just opens up my sound nicely. It’s a bit of a pain to power and kinda chunky compared to my other pedals though so is there any other pedal that can do the same thing for me, ideally with normal power and smaller size?

2. thesooze

thesooze Member

3. smj

smj Member

I had one and regret selling it. Can't think of too many pedals with that degree of flexibility. Add to that the fact that it has Stereo outputs and reverb.... and the list really shortens.

Only other pedal I can think of is the H9 but that doesn't solve any of the problems you mentioned.

Sean Meredith-Jones
    www.seanmeredithjones.com

4. thesooze

thesooze Member

How important is the small boost part? Because the EQD Dispatch Master would be great for a touch of verb and slapback for a little bit of space. Small, easy to power, not terribly expensive.

wickedcookie likes this.
  5. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

Maybe a Boss RE-20 in that application? If you don’t need modulation and the other controls.

6. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

Aren't those even bigger than the el cap?

hippieboy likes this.
  7. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

The Empress Tape Delay is great.

8. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

Echorec, Echoplex? I have a Wampler Faux Tape Echo which is incredible and maybe a tad smaller than the Strymon but not smaller than two aforementioned pedals.

You’ll probably lose tap tempo unless you do something like an ARP-87 or Pink Panther.

9. njt5046

njt5046 Member

I hadn’t considered that maybe I’m asking the wrong question. I’ve been running a pedaltrain mini for a few years so perhaps it’s time to buy a bigger pedalboard :D

hippieboy likes this.
  10. Sean413

Sean413 Member

Boonar

In all fairness they don’t sound the same but the boonar is a fantastic simple delay and the swell feature will get you close to a reverbish sound

11. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

Bigger pedal board = more pedals! Good luck!

12. Nota

Nota Member

I just bought another one (keep buying and selling them over the years). Love it, it's probably the best tape delay. Flexible in how you EQ it, lots of features, smallish footprint. Only delays that I've found that rival it are (as mentioned) the Boonar, and the Carbon Copy (Deluxe). These are all different classes of delay, but all excel at what they do.

Blue Bee likes this.
  13. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

How are you powering? The El Cap has some unique qualities that are hard to replace but the EHX Canyon would be my pick. Still a little power hungry but compact - has a nice tape mode with a bit of grit that you can dial in and well as some other fun modes - can't do reverb, delay, and boost at the same time though...

14. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

Yeah, sorry, was thinking more sound than size. Maybe the Nux Tape Core then.

15. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Member

The MXR Echoplex has some similar qualities to my ear.

16. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member