What's closest to an Eternity only cheaper?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by otherone, Jun 2, 2008.

1. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

My friend borrowed my eternity which he uses to stack with his OCD...he loves it, only he can't afford it...he uses the Eternity for lower gain and the OCD for higher gain...he's looking for something very similar to the Eternity which he can use with his OCD, only less expensive...anything out there to recommend?

2. pbone

pbone Member

Modded TS9?

3. Desperado

Desperado Vertex Effects, Inc.

Take a Tube Screamer pedal, and then just swap out the JRC chip and replace it with a LM1458N chip (this is the exact chip that the Eternity uses, but the top is sanded so it is unidentifiable by its number). It will really mellow out your Tube Screamer in a cool way.

4. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

Isn't there an Eternity mod for the SD1?

5. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

Indyguitarist sent out an email a while back with directions to mod an sd-1 to an eternity so that would probably work out best.

6. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I've recently seen used SMD versions of the Eternity going for $175 to $200. That's only $25 to $50 more than a new OCD. Maybe at those prices the real thing is an option.

7. KennethC

KennethC Member

don't exactly know why, but the Shannon Helios OD reminds me of the Eternity, although the E has even less mid hump.

8. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

Lovekraft Kronos. There's one in the emporium (not mine). There were only a few made. Wish I had some extra $!!!

9. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I think many of these suggestions will come close, but the E has this fine grain/compressed thing going on that is pretty unique. Not sure there is anything exactly like it out there.

10. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

DIY is the cheapest option.
    The schem is out there, and being a stripped down modded TS, it's a pretty simple build.

And if you or your friend can't build one, ask a friendly DIY-er to build one for ya...

11. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

You might try a Barber Direct Drive. About $120 new I think. It's not exactly the same. It's voiced a bit different but I think it has a similar feel and character to it. You might even like it better than the E.

I have both and go back and forth on which one I like better. The price is right and it's built like a tank. You may have to swap out the stock op-amp (4558D) with a KA358, 1458, or even a TL072 to get it closer to an E.

12. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

The Helios (from Shannon) is pretty close but definitely not a "clone" or anything like that, just a similar sound. Honestly we all know the Eternity is from TS stock but I've put up lots of modded screamers and variants next to the E and it sounds better than any of them, IMO.

13. erksin

erksin Member

MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe.

14. drolling

drolling Member

Hey, that's top-secret stuff!! How did you crack the code?

TGP'rs have been trying to identify that chip for years!!

I actually prefer the TL072ACN that Sean threw in when I got mine in '05, but I've placed the 'stock' chip in the vault for safekeeping..

Thanks for the info, D!

BTW, where can you buy a LM1458N ? I've gotta get one to A/B against the original - and also try it w/my MJM Blues Devil, which, IMO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc is my fave 808 clone out of the 8 gazillion I've tried..

15. erksin

erksin Member

I got my LM1458 from Small Bear. The LM833N is cool too.

16. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

I don't think the stock sanded-off chip is a LM1458.
    To this day it's still unknown...

but in my build i use a NE5532P with awesome results. the TLC2272 and TLC2262 are also very good.

17. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

+1! I have an '06 E and a DD and think they are similarly voiced. The DD has more gain though.

18. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Mike nails it. I bought one on your reccomendation and love it ProGuitarShop.com does a great demo of it.