Whats Everyones Thoughts On Budda Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by danel59, Mar 7, 2006.

1. danel59

danel59 Member

I have had a friend ask about Budda amps. What is everyones thoughts re this line. I don't have a lot of knowledge myself so I thought that I could get a lot of info from fellow GP'ers. Postive and negative replies are welcome

Thanks

Dan

2. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

I own a Budda Twinmaster 2X10 - an early "out of production" model, and it SMOKES!!!

Absolutely awesome clean, but will get more aggressive as the volumes go up. Responds well to pedals.

3. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

I have a Twinmaster10 that I got new in 1995 . To me , this amp has a different type of distortion tone . It's special . It has a clarity to the distortion if that makes any sence . With the amp fully cranked , you can still play chords that would sound like jumbled-up glop on most amps . The amp has great sustain with a Tele or Strat with vintage type pick-ups(I don't have any Humbucker guitars).

When played clean , the amp sounds sort-of like a Tweed Deluxe ...in all honesty , I'm not too crazy about the clean sound . But I think that the distortion quality to the amp is so useable , I can almost do without a clean sound . For a point of refrence , I have a Clubman 35 that I love the clean sound on , but the distortion tone is sort-of typical (not special, like the Twinmaster) .

One other shortcoming is the Twinmaster is only 15-18 watts which in some bars with some bands , it ain't quite loud enough . Also , a bit more bass would be nice . There was also a 30 watt version (four EL84's) of the amp which may address these issues...good luck finding one though .

This amp is a handwired vesion . As I understand , Budda amps are now PCB built .
    ...Oh yeah , I set up the amp with a Celestion Blue alnico , and they like each other a lot .

That's my story ,
    Chris .

4. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

I own a Superdrive 30 and a Dual Stage 30. I find them both to be great amps.
    The Superdrive series is a great amp for lush AC30 type tones to a great overdrive tone for Modern and Classic rock. The overdrive on the Superdrive series is a great tone but is kind of "boxy" for some people. It seems to almost be a pre-set tone. I can't get a bad tone from mine. I will say that there are tones I like that I can't seem to get from the amp and have to either use a pedal or go to another amp for those tones. I, personally like a bit of reverb in my tone and most Budda amps (with the exception of the Verbmaster) do not have reverb. Both my Buddas only have a Series f/x loop and this seems to cause a reverb pedal to be too wet on one channel if set up on the other.

My Budda Dual Stage 30 is a discontinued model (due to a suit by Mesa ) but is a great concept for an amp. It is like having an AC 30 and a Super Reverb all in one amp. It has one pre-amp section and two power stage sections. Channel one has 4 el84 tubes and an attenuator for a good overdrive at lower volumes. Channel two has 2 6L6 tubes for that classic Fender tone. They both have great tones clean or cranked up!
    This amp takes very well to pedals which I think is true for all the Budda models.
    Each Budda Model seems to have a bit of difference in it's tone but they are all consistantly easy to dial in a great tone, they are quite well made and the guys at Budda are very helpful and easy to talk to.

5. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

I have a Superdrive 30 that I just got a headbox for (it was a combo). It is a great amp, the cleans are in between vox and fender, and the gain side is heaven. The gain sounds go from Alice in Chains, to Warren Haynes of Govt Mule, early VH (brown sound)and the sound Santana wished he could get. Great stuff, can be set smooth, or with some teeth. The tone has a great amount of sustain, without a lot of distortion, I normally set my gain on around 5 and have plenty for most any type of music I play.
    The budda speakers sound good in the combo, but it really kicks with a 4x12 with vin 30's.

6. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I have an old Budda Stringmaster. 4 X EL-84's with the cleans having a Fender vibe but with more chime/sustain. Actually sounds like a really cool Blonde or Blackface Bassman from clean to break up on the clean channel, but the gain channel can take you through a bluesy Robben Ford/Dumble breakup all the way to Marshally Clapton/Cream tones. Big thick notes, great clarity with no hair on the notes, and very sensitive to your pick and volume knob on your guitar. Loud and loves pedals too. Jeff has been a lot of help giving me info on tubes and stuff on a discontinued amp, that's great support.
    FWIW,
    Rick

7. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i've been playing an sd45 for a few months now it is really great. check the joe bonnamassa video demo on the budda site, it sold me on mine, and i feel it's pretty representative of the amp. the only feature that they don't demonstrate on that video is the modern setting. i don't play any music that calls for that setting, so i haven't used it much, but it does "metal" up the tone a lot. the thing i love about all the budda is that they are very smooth. and the layout is very simple to dial in. the sd45 in particular has kt66's and is also just incredibly fat. i love the warren haynes/gilmour/hendrix fatness that i can get with my strat. it also takes drive pedals very nicely, even though i usually only use either my TIM, tubescreamer-clone, or clean boost. i demoed all of ths superdrives and they share a basic sound/features, with the different configurations predictably providing slight variations in terms of tone and headroom. just about the only thing i miss is reverb, but live, i've had great results just adding a slight delay. i may have some good clips of the amp to post in the next week or so.

8. kodecar

kodecar Member

Another :AOK for Budda.

I have a SD18 series 2 and it really kills. I really don't use this amp for cleans too much but the gain is terrific. I mainly stay on the vintage side of the house but if you pop out the mid scoop knob, it certainly does modernize the tones.

I think that Budda is a bit underrated around here since their switch to PCB's but that just means that you can pick up a used one for a great price. I think I paid around $900 shipped for the SD18 112 combo.

Oh yeah, it really can get loud as hell for all of 18W.

YMMV.

Take care,
    Derek

9. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Had a Twinmaster 2x12 combo for years, and a Dual Stage 30 head with a 1210 cab more recently. Had a Phatman pedal in there, too. Circumstances arose as such that I was without a Budda product for most of the last year. Just scored a Twinmaster 1x12 Monday off eBay, so the 'void' will be filled next week upon receipt of said amp. There's just something special about their older non-master volume amps (Verbmaster and Stringmaster, as well as the DS30 and Twinmaster). Though I must say the Superdrive 30 I demo'd sounded cool, and was definitely in the same tonal camp as their non-MV stuff.

Build quality is great, customer service is great, very touch responsive, tones are very woody, take pedals well. Everything everyone said so far is pretty accurate. The comment about the TM 10, though true, does not apply to the 2x12 combo. It had plenty of low end thrust and can handle any bar band's volume needs (mine had two V30's). Guess it just depends on what your needs and interests are.

There's some older ones still floating around, plus all the newer Superdrives with their MV ar readily available. These newer ones have an extra gain stage in their Drive channel that the older amps don't have, so they can burn a good bit more without a pedal for help. Buddas are not highly touted here, but there is a fiercely loyal bunch of owners who can give you the ins and outs of any particular model.

10. LesPaulPlayer

LesPaulPlayer Member

2001 Verbmaster 18 here. Single Phat 12 speaker PTP combo amp with the same circuit as a Twinmaster, but with a 3-spring Accutronics reverb. I a/b'ed the amp with a 1996 Twinmaster head using my Verbmaster's speaker. The Twinmaster was more direct-sounding, a bit more gain, a little brighter, a tad clearer. I suppose the difference is due to the tone suckage of the reverb circuit.

I really dug the tone and feel of the Twinmaster! It was like an extension of my body!

The Verbmaster is a bit warmer in comparison, but still very nice with a smooth, compressed Vox/old Marshall tone. Jeff Bober offered to install a back-panel switch that would allow me to bypass the 'verb completely, but he attributed the real tone differences to different caps that are used in the Verbmaster (in fact, he stated the caps in all large-chassis Buddas were a different spec than those in the original small-chassis Twinmasters). I never had the switch installed, but I may in the future.

The reverb is cool in that it has two preset drive levels (along with a normal reverb level pot), Surf and Sand which can be footswitched back and forth as well as footswitched on/off via a two-button footswitch. Very cool. The 'verb is very nice. Absolutely comparable to the best Fenders IMO.

I've never had the chance to hear or play a MV Budda yet.

11. p.snail

p.snail Member

I had a Superdrive 18 combo. That was a slammin' amp. Great clean for 18 watter and did the brown thing pretty decently. Not a high gainer, but good tone all the way around. I do think they've gone a little crazy with there pricing. They used to be a really good bargain for a boutique type amp. They've gone to PC boards, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, I don't really think prices should have gone up as a result. Just my Opinion. They're amps rule though.

12. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I have a Stringmaster as well. +1 on all of Rick's comments, with one caveat: to get the good Marshally tones, it has to be LOUD. (of course so does a non-master-volume Marshall, so there ya go)

Also: the low end is not quite as tight and focused as a Marshall.

13. onemind

onemind Member

My SD30 is on my short "never sell" list, Great Hard Rock Tones, Excellent tight bass, ballsy, and a lot of fun to play.

14. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

Another happy SD30 owner here. :AOK

15. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I recently saw Tommy Malone with the Subdudes playing through a Twinmaster (with attenuator) and he was getting some incredibly good tone with a variety of guitars. I've also heard Jeff Bober himself quite a bit around town and he always sounds great. (Jeff was at the show too and said that Tommy's amp had been in the N.O. flood but the water didn't quite get up to the chassis.:eek: )

I'd definately suggest checking them out based on the ones I've heard.:AOK

16. LesPaulPlayer

LesPaulPlayer Member

What does Jeff play through? A Budda I presume, but what model?

17. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I'm not really sure what model(s). I think it is usually a 1x12 combo, 30W or so, maybe a Twinmaster or Super drive? He usually plugs a Barden equipped strat or a goldtop LP into it.

18. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

Can't get a bad tone out of one.

19. grism

grism Member

I owned a SD 30 series 2 combo for about a year. The tones are absolutely milkshake thick, but you really need volume (moreso than other amps) to get them IMO. The previous desciptions of gain are accurate in my experience.... nice voxy/marshall cleans to a good brown sound and a bit beyond. Overall a really good rock/hard-rock amp. The "modern" feature does make the sound more modern, but not a really high-gain modern tone. I sold mine to get a guitar that I really wanted.

There are so many good amps out there that I am not sure if I would pick another up again, but it was a fine amp while I had it.

Michael G.

20. Ricker

Ricker Member

Yo........had a budda sd80 for over 5years

It just kills.......awesome amp........seems to respond like a non master vol amp.............voiced on the dark side with a smooth top-end...........some miss the fizz.............I don't.........
    The sd80 is incredibly loud as it's a cathode biased amp............
    Doesn't have a huge bottom end but it's low-end is very tight...........it has a percussive pick attack...........and is great for mid range saturated overdrive.............it can do heavier stuff but shines at blues,rock and hard rock................loves pedal and the clean channle when pushed sounds wonderful

cheers
    Rick