What's Going On Isolated Bass Track

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
I've always loved this track, and the bass is amazing. I wonder if the stories of him recording this while completely intoxicated are true. It's just so good.

louderock

I've always loved this track, and the bass is amazing. I wonder if the stories of him recording this while completely intoxicated are true. It's just so good.
Supposedly he was sick with the flu or something. Also played with only one finger on his right hand.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Not crazy about the tone--don't think that would work in a studio today, but obviously a classic performance.

DamianL

Ahhhh...

One of the greatest songs of all time, from one of the greatest albums of all time...and the bass underpinned it all...

Love it.

Samsun19

James Jamerson...... Soooooooooooo Great!!!

Whenever I have a bass student (not that often), I always have them learn at least the first 24-36 bars ( if not the whole song) of this this all time bass classic. It swings in the pocket, so melodic, but never steps on the vocal!!!! Amazing.

Thanks for posting.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Supposedly he was sick with the flu or something. Also played with only one finger on his right hand.
I thought it was he was drunk off his ass and couldn't sit on a stool, so he had to record his part lying flat on his back in the studio.

sws1

You could almost argue he's way over playing. I don't think I noticed it in the full mix.

Trending Topics