• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What's going on with Klon KTR?

bbtr

Does anyone know? They've not been available new for more than half a year, maybe nine months. Before that, they were out of stock for long periods at the big places I visit - Thomann, Sweetwater. Now they are not even listed. I know there's quite a lot of secrecy/gossip around them - don't know why it should be so - but maybe someone on TGP knows for real what the situation is like. Someone working at a music store ordering things, or spoke with Bill, etc.

Another question I have - is it clear by now who is/was making them for Bill?

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
They build them in batches. It's not a constant stream of production as a company builds them for Bill F. This company also builds for other manufacturers so that is why you are seeing them in and out of stock.

Chase Fuller

Silver Supporting Member
There are websites like Chicago Music Exchange that still stock it when it’s available, and will notify you via email when it’s available. You’ll still have to wait, but at least you’ll be among the first to know!

They build them in batches. It's not a constant stream of production as a company builds them for Bill F.
This always confused me a little - as far as I was aware, moving to SMD meant all Bill was doing was soldering in the diodes to make production far easier & quicker. Cannot understand why they vanish for 6 months at a time unless somebody is artificially managing supply/demand.....which might be the point. Few other pedal manufacturers have in-demand products drip feed into the market so sporadically like Klon seem to do.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
This always confused me a little - as far as I was aware, moving to SMD meant all Bill was doing was soldering in the diodes to make production far easier & quicker. Cannot understand why they vanish for 6 months at a time unless somebody is artificially managing supply/demand.....which might be the point. Few other pedal manufacturers have in-demand products drip feed into the market so sporadically like Klon seem to do.
Its cheaper to manufacture in larger batches than small batches. And the company building the KTR does production for so many manufacturers that they have to rotate production. It's better this way because of tooling and the cost involved. So the larger batch production makes more sense.

Its cheaper to manufacture in larger batches than small batches. And the company building the KTR does production for so many manufacturers that they have to rotate production. It's better this way because of tooling and the cost involved. So the larger batch production makes more sense.
Oh yeah, definitely - economies of scale and all that. I'm just a little confused as to what makes that particular manufacturer so vital to KTR production...surely there's a lot of companies out there who print SMD boards nowadays? (I say this having never had a SMD board printed myself...just curious!!)

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
in varying degrees, plenty of small builders do what bill does; build when they’re ready to build: when they have time, when they have money, when they’re healthy, when they feel there’s a demand, whatever.
in bill’s case, i would guess that his perspective on “demand” might be complicated by the large number & variety of available “klones”.

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
errmmmm..... send in the klones?
Basically the only option. But it’s an unfortunate option because I’d prefer to support the builder. Obviously there are a million Klones that sound great, but if you’re after the real thing, it’s a bummer.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
...I’d prefer to support the builder.
The builder in this case doesn't seem to care about your support. If he did, he could probably take a big bite out of the Klone market. What he seems to care about, is underserving the market and keeping demand - and, presumably, prices - as high as possible.

So it's as though he considers making Klons a kind of retirement annuity,and not a real business that's meant to satisfy consumer demand to the greatest degree possible.

rawkguitarist

I really would like an original Klon just for the fun of it. It does a very simple thing - boost your amp or other pedal into more distortion. And my clone of one finally did this simple thing better than anything I'd tried. So its a damn cool circuit. Even though its still Bill's company a KTR is still a "klone" in my eyes (just my opinion, please). Especially since its built by another company with SMD construction.

If Klon's took too much time for Bill to build why didn't he just do something similar to the KTR and contract a great builder to use the same enclosures and components and simply build them to his specs? Its apparently not a hard circuit to build. They would still be "real" Klon's and he could charge a premium for them. I don't know - $500 or so? People would still buy them in large quantities I'm sure. I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest this... Just makes a lot of sense to me.

All that said. There are multiple great sources to get a klon for yourself. I have a Mythical Overdrive. Just got it on a whim to see what the klon thing was about. Didn't expect it to be one of my favorite pedals.

Also... in my opinion the Paul Cochrane Timmy is equally as brilliant of an overdrive/boost. Both these pedals are the best at what they do and are worth the hype they receive.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
The builder in this case doesn't seem to care about your support. If he did, he could probably take a big bite out of the Klone market. What he seems to care about, is underserving the market and keeping demand - and, presumably, prices - as high as possible.

So it's as though he considers making Klons a kind of retirement annuity,and not a real business that's meant to satisfy consumer demand to the greatest degree possible.
:aok

Funky Monkey

Silver Supporting Member
Coast Sonic has had them as recently as 8/12/20.
So besides sporadic production in large batches, they may also be going to different retailers not on everybody's radar in batches. Humbucker could be on tap for a certain batch that Coast Sonic or MusicToyz, etc., didn't fall into or wasn't in line for.
Do we know the current manufacturer anyway?

Trending Topics