What's Going To Be The Next Big Thing?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sloppyfingers, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Sloppyfingers

Sloppyfingers Member

Just for discussion

I believe that that we are living in the golden age of guitar gear technology.
    I've witnessed pedals develop over the years where today's dirt boxes have become almost amp like in themselves.Years ago you would have never seen tubes, contour or presence knobs on a simple distortion pedal.

Now what used to require a rack full of gear is now in a pedal format. Eventide anyone?
    I personally think that the simple headstock tuner was a genius invention.

Guitar synths have now been reduced to pedals and require no clumsy pick-up system (EHX)
    Where do we think we are headed?..What do you see happening in the next five years gear wise?

Are high end modelling systems like the axe fx gong to be reduced both in price and size, or are they just going to get better keeping the expensive price point? Is Digitech going to have a breakthrough to expand on their TRIO line to have the built in bass and drums follow riffs? (nudge/wink*)

I personally like how simple dirt boxes have been evolving.

Take out your crystal balls, and it's just for discussion.

2. rosslevans

rosslevans Member

Personally, I think the boutique pedals will start to fade. Unless they drop price. Feel like players will look to stock pedals and accept them for what they are. Just my opinion

3. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I don't think that will happen. There is always someone willing to spend the money.

dwoverdrive, ES330 and Slevin like this.
  4. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I think the next step is digital-modeling like Axe FX in pedal formats.

5. Sloppyfingers

Sloppyfingers Member

It would be nice to see AXE FX develop software as well..Whether or not software is doeable, I don't know.

I like this mini amp head revolution we are seeing right now.Some of them sound huge and in a way that they sound like they have a lot of headroom.

I would love to see Marshall get into they pre amp pedal game..A shrunken down JCM 800 or JTM pre amp stage with a few tubes..Having said that, there are boutique builders already achieving this..People like branding and would want the official name attached to it though..

jimmycupo likes this.
  6. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

I don't know what the next big thing will be but it is an exciting time to be a guitar player. There is so much good stuff available right now. Coupled with how much one can gain by viewing online demos and lessons and the like that guitarists have never had it better - imo.

7. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

Frfr that looks like an actual amp that can be used with just about any amp modeler with proper ins and outs to cover most any need that doesnt price itself out of the hands of the masses and is built to be used live at home in the garage etc. And is as transparent as possible in sound. It just doesnt exist.
    And pizza with a fork. I know right. Mind blown.

the tourist and KeLynne like this.
  8. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

The next big thing is the Line 6 Helix platform. It's already here but hasn't really been noticed yet.

KnowTalent likes this.
  9. Sloppyfingers

Sloppyfingers Member

Maybe a smart modelling system that knows what song you are playing through the guitar, and automatically dials in the perfect tone and effects for the song, and room.It would also adjust volume levels automatically.Okay, it's a little far fetched, but zanier things have been created. One would simply jam out a few measures silently before hand into the unit..The unit would have to be always connected to the net though. No more deep editing, and set list creating hassles.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  10. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Back when I had the repair shop, I was asked almost daily about what the future holds.
    I was the guy who said Garth Brooks would never amount to a hill of beans.

11. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Hopefully pedals that don't have to be tied to computers and smart phones to be adjusted and operate correctly. Just build a pedal and have it work like it's supposed too before it's released and not have TGP beta test your pedals. Complete BS. Did I just say that?.......yeah, I did.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    tbader, RC2, MrLahey and 1 other person like this.
  12. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

I'd like to know what the LAST big thing was - because I don't even know if that's really clear.

MrLahey likes this.
  13. KennyPatrick

KennyPatrick Supporting Member

Analog will always reign. How many people are going back to vinyl? There is a loss of quality and tone with digital, they are constantly improving, but handwired, handmade, will always have its place.

14. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Well made analog effects that sound great will always be big. That will never change. Digital will get better and cheaper and smaller, but people will always want great analog gear.

15. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

I was digging those modular mini rack-type enclosures that a couple guys came out with for the last NAMM show. Reminds me of the Vector racks from the Anderton book EPFM. I would definitely be into building those things. I would also be into gigging with a rack of small, vertical mounted modules for my effects.

lowinchi and rck like this.
  16. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

Strymon has shown the future. I think the Keeley Tone Workstation is the direction. Combining affordable certain "must haves". His "studio" pedals are kinda paving the way.

Also, no doubt that Digitech has a plan with their split off into two pedal groups. I see the Trio line expanding and can hardly wait to see what's next.

Small Monoprice tube amps and the like from China seems like the future in the amp world.

On top of it all, I don't understand why "Made in India" hasn't already taken over the market.

dwoverdrive, Artb and MrLahey like this.
  17. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

Most guitarists are chasing tones from 50 or 60 years ago, there hasn't really been a next big thing since the 70s, chorus came along in the 80s and pretty much stayed there, much like the whammy in the 90s. Most guitar players don't want to sound like a keyboard player or have a million and one options, they want the same thing they've always wanted, nice guitar, nice amp, and a few basic pedals, I can't see that changing any time soon.

apoyando, MrLahey and mopfloyd like this.
  18. Rob Evans

Rob Evans Member

I think many folks, myself included, love getting tones from vintage stuff- guitars, amps, 50s/60s/70s records. But I also look to make new 'futurustic' sounds that may not even sound like guitar.

I think the Hologram Dream Sequence is a good example. It takes a vintage tone idea that is making a resurgence- Tremolo, and showing a more modern application- sequencing. It does way more but I see this as being valuable to today's guitarist. Something old, something new. There will always be nostalgia in the guitar world.

I think as well that many companies are pushing boundaries with their ideas- Source audio, TC with toneprint, Chase bliss with dip switching to name a few.

19. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

Electro-mechanical. Little Rube Goldberg tone machines.

20. Sloppyfingers

Sloppyfingers Member

Ya sure..But the very fact that you belong to this forum, leads me to believe that you like looking at shiny guitar gear as well as the next guy.

jimmycupo likes this.