What's gonna be the next big trend in boutique pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BmoreTele, Jan 11, 2006.

1. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

These things seem to come in clusters. There have been waves of modded TB tubescreamers, clean boosts, treble boosts, univibe clones, Dyna/Ross compressors, fuzz face clones, two stage OD's, OS compressors, octave pedals, low gain OD's, delay variations, and just in the past year there's been phasers everywhere: Red Witch, Shannon, Psilocybe, Quasar, Pigtronix, Photon, Retro-sonic, with more coming - Antelope Candy Man, Cusack Tap-a-Phase, MI Audio Phaser/Vibe, etc.

So what's next?

What are these isolated geniuses gonna come up with next, all around the same time?

A buncha heavy metal distortions, ring mod mania, new wild wahs, bass boosts?

:dude

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I see versatile but expensive "mini rigs", or "multi pedals" like the CC2 and Keeley ToneStation ( I think its called ) coming from a few different places.

3. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I think the analog delay market as being a little thin at the moment. You basically have the Czar and Memory Lane on top, the Maxon 999 lurking, and reissues of Ibanez AD-9's and Maxon AD-80's filling out the cast. I have heard rumblings of an Analogman delay, as well as a Keeley delay, but nothing concrete. There are also a few other boutique makers who have indicated a desire to explore this market, but their names have fled my memory at the present time. Hopefully any developing delays will be available with tap tempo and an effects loop (at least as options). I have been holding out buying a ML because of $$ and so I'm not upset 6 months from now because some incredible new delay that I simply must have has arrived on the scene! My other problems with the ML is its large size. But I don't know how long I can hold out before I am forced to pull the trigger!

4. thebazaar

thebazaar Member

usable ring mods.
    Zvex is almost there.
    Maybe even a bigger boutique flanger market...though everyone should just get a TZF.
    That or the sample/hold filter. Cmon Subdecay

5. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I think the trend of cloning clones is going to pick up, like the Vodka Fooltone.

6. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

"I think the analog delay market as being a little thin at the moment. " There is a good reason for this- the lack of reliable-supply for BBD chips. That's why Austone doesn't build one.
    The number of requests is huge, but I resist the demand as I know we'll not find a reliable source at this point. Every supplier I talk to either doesn't know what they are talking about or they are showing lack of belief, supply, and/or testability in the chip they offer.
    Anyway they are frigging chips! If it ain't bipolar transistor I loose interest quickly. (With chips you have little or no control over the innards whereas with bipolar transistors you can test them and select them and throw them out if they are not suited, assuming you buy very large numbers.)

It's actually more cost-effective to restore a Space Echo than it is to build or buy a quality analog delay pedal. (Space Echo referanced as the tape handling and versitility beats the Echoplex everytime.)

-Jon, (who hates IC if you didn't notice...)

7. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

What about Loopers? I know the use is limited, but with pedals like the Maneco Loopers, i would love to see a bunch of different variations on these.

Brian

8. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

I think in the next year or two we will begin to see larger companies start to buy out some of these 'booteek' pedal guys... like fender buying up gretsch and guild etc.... or Dunlop buying all those names like Univibe etc.....

maybe guitar or amp companies looking for sidelines...

maybe some builders will team up to get into more actual stores....

Maybe Keeley will give Fulltone a run for its money....

I think there will be some more line blurring between boteek and massprod

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

Hey, I just thought of something....are there no boutique tuners? :jo

10. Occam

Occam Member

I would like to see more stuff like the MuRF a pedal, something that produces unique tones with a ton of flexibility.

11. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Member

On the topic of delays...... I hear rumour that Bob Sweet is working on an analog delay.

12. jeak

jeak Member

I've had the same thought. I'm not saying it would be good or bad, but it seems bound to happen eventually. One of these days, guys like Paul and Alf could get tired of answering the phone and we'd all be able to go grab Zens and Timmys at GC -- licensed to and mass produced by DigiTech/Boss/Korg ... ;)

13. Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl Member

At that point you would see a difference in the quality of the tone. I do like the idea of some of us getting together to get more stores behind us, but big stores and small like low cost and high profit. Not the other way around.

I'd still like to design something with Paul. We hit on the topic briefly a couple of years ago, and as he said, and I agreed, it would have to be something different and not done before. I know he's a busy guy.

I do see delays coming as the next big thing. I don't think I will go that way. You think some of the booteek stuff is pricey now. Just wait for the delay pedals. BYOC has got it on those in my opinion. I think you'll also see more clone popping up. I'm not sure what I'll do after I get done with the DD30. Maybe I'll start work on the Octoberfest Beer Buzz. :jo

14. gururyan

gururyan Member

That's the next big thing right there. I can't wait man, I can't wait.

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think everyone will start getting advanced patching/routing systems for their pedalboards, as we all move in the direction of having multiple boards in stereo and signals get more and more complex to keep track of. http://www.woboge.com ProgLooper or Patch system are cool.

Also, I predict that people will start ditching their rigs in favor of a laptop running something like Native Instruments' Guitar Rig, which uses a program to simulate every piece of circuitry and offers options from "copies" of classic pedal and amplifier circuits, with choices of microphone sound, speakers, cabinets, etc... and it will be just as complicated to set up a "vitrual" pedalboard (ordering extra "vitrual" PP2 cables and virtually cutting George Ls to connect all of your virtual pedals)...

16. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

+1 My feelings exactly!

17. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

Don, i think your post shows a great deal of foresight. I think in the next couple years the market is going to tighten up quite a bit..

There are things going on in the parts of this industry that most end users dont hear about, or at least wouldnt think it would affect the market that much... I know more than a few builders that are kept in business by sales over seas. The weak dollar makes it much easier for me to sell in the UK than in the states.

Oil prices going up have made a lot of prices go up in the last year... from transistors to 3pdt switches. None of the price hikes are huge, but they all add up after a while.

Since most of us are music geeks, and not buisness geeks, I think a lot of the "buying up" that could be done, may actually get over looked. Most non-public companies that get bought up do so because they want to... Usually this is preceded by the company positioning its self for top dollar... I'm not sure many of us pedal makers are that business savy...

As far as builders teaming up- I came up with an idea that i floated arround to a few builders, where essentially the members would start their own rep company... Each builder could either A) rep the lines them selves B) contract out representation to someone else in their region, or C) sit back and do nothing while others do the work. A few guys were interested, but we ran out of problems when we started talking about money, cuts, and spending money on a lawyer to make sure it was all legal..

I think that someone is already giving fulltone a run for his money... or at least the market in general is. He's being much more secretive about the OCD... And from what i understand the OCD is a huge departure from the "cloning clones" mentality he's had in the past.

I think the biggest thing you will see in the boutique fx market in the next couple years, is companies expanding beyond pedals. Obvious paths are amps, rack gear, and recording gear. This is the area for inovation... im sure some guys are working on some crazy stuff right now that we would never think of. Personally i eventually want to make an analog synth.

Don't count on too many analog delays. I have heard way too many nightmares from people who have bought hundreds of chips to find out that almost none of them work. My bet is that in two years the memory lane will still be the only tap tempo analog delay, and if there is another one it wont be much cheaper. tap tempo with only 500ms of delay, i just dont see a huge market for it... plus all the other negative factors about the chips. I am pretty sure in the next couple years you are going to see a lot more delays, but they will be mostly digital.

18. Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl Member

What he said!:AOK

19. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Maybe my feeling about new analog delays is just wishful thinking, but just imangine...

Some large electronics corporation comes out with a new product - that for some strange reason needs chips that can be adapted for a delay pedal! The device utilizes a whole bunch of these chips, and so they contract a chip maker to run a batch of, lets say for the sake of arguement, 20 million chips. Suddenly the market is flooded with these chips (which, by the way, are manufactured to higher tolerences and way cheaper than the ones from the 70's or 80's!). The chip manufacturer has no problem selling these chips to enterprising boutique effects makers, and so an entirely new generation of low-priced delay pedals flood the market!
    :D

Or maybe someone will figure out a different, cost effective way to do it....
    :NUTS

Or maybe aliens, who have been observing the human race for thousands of years (and have become addicted to Rock 'n' Roll), take pity on us and, because they already have established relationships with the majority of effects makers, bestow us with an unlimited supply of high tech delay chips for free...
    :dude

Or maybe I just need to make room on my board and bite the financial bullet and order a Memory Lane, and then call it a day...
    :jo

20. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I dare you! I'm on the verge too!!!

Anyways, I hope boutique pedal designers come up with some new novel designs, such as the OCD, Timmy and the Cactus Crunch. Not just make souped up versions of old pedals...

Although I would really like a Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble...