• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What's goosing your leads in a top boost?

bionic

This would be if your top boost channel is already cooking. I'm using a Timmy but have tried an 808 modded TS 9 (too raspy) and a fuzzface (too unreal), Rangemaster (too tinny but works great in the normal channel). What are you guys using to kick it into high gear?

I'm enjoying my mojohand copperhead. It took a little getting used to, but it sounds a lot like my wide-open Pro Reverb... plus a little more.

bionic

I'll keep an eye out and for a Hot Cake which a lot of people rave about in the top boost channel It is a tricky channel if you are like me and don't use any cut. I really want that smooth type of sound and no ice picks

Teahead

Have you tried a nice compressor? I always got the best Top Boost lead sounds by running a comp into the amp, set for a volume boost and comp to taste. It's the same sound, with more sustain and doesn't thin out like an overdrive can.

CWFurst

I've just recently been using the Prescription Overdriver. It's a killer boost with the drive set low and when you start to jack that up it turns in to a Velcro type of fuzz. It's also got treble and bass controls which have a nice wide range.

The Hotcake does a fine job at this too. Similar to the RX Overdriver in that it can have a great boost but it also can be a great overdrive. You have to be careful with it because it may not sound how you think overdrives should sound (TS) but it does sound like an extension of your amp.

I also use a Keeley modded Blues Driver that does really well with the Top Boost channel. You have to disabuse yourself how you use a tone knob because you will have to keep it around the 8-10 range.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I have an EHX Nano Boost and an HBE Germania. I like them both. The Nano is a great ballsy clean boost with a touch of gain at high settings and the Germania is a cool "Rangemaster/Fuzz/Treble Booster" type of boost.

ROKY

either :

HBE Germacide, J. Everman Fuzz Drive, or 3-knob Menatone Foxy Brown,
depending on what tonal texture I want for the solo .

dave s

I've had quite a few in front of a couple of VOX amps running just to the point of breakup including:

• Lovepedal Eternity - best to date (so far :confused:)
  • Gaspedal Carb - compressed top-end is a really nice fit for a VOX
  • Hotcake - really 'run-of-the-mill' sounding IMO
  • AC Booster - decent 'go-to' pedal
  • RC Booster - incredible boost for whatever you decide to goose the VOX TB with
The Eternity and RC are currently on the board and appear to be of the 'keeper' variety. Amps being used are VOX AC15H1TV and an AC30CC2x.

dave

Trending Topics