What's Happening With Budda?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Classic09, May 14, 2015.

1. Classic09

Classic09 Member

Budda amps used to be discussed and talked about all the time. There was a strong marketing presence and plenty of places to get them. Now, there's little news, fewer forum posts, less advertising and certainly no updates on Budda.com.

Are Peavey trying to run the brand down?

2. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

I think they already have ran it down unfortunately. They were known for their great tone and simplicity then peavey screws it up and comes out with the 3 channel Budda Bully, Mark Nason leather covered amp and other hi tech multi switcher wizardry sig amps....SMDH They really don't have a clue over there.

They can still save the brand IMO, if they would just go back to the original drive channel design (unlike the post peavey versions) and make the rhythm channel with its own eq and volume. I would drop the dominant purple and only use purple as an accent and use the V series coloring scheme or something similar. I've put too much though in this I guess :D I was just really passionate about Budda back in the day. It was the only amp that steered me away from Bogner.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  3. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Yup, the new stuff sucks, and theres a ton of the older amps around already, which means that Peavey isn't making much money on them, and they are dying.

When Jeff Bober was still in control the brand was more than a part of his portfolio. Sadly, for Peavey if it isn't turning a profit they aren't going to work to make it turn one.

4. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

Newer stuff isnt... it...

The old stuff? Is the JAM. And can be had pretty reasonably.

5. Classic09

Classic09 Member

I have two of the older style Post-Peavey (both 2010) that are killer amps. That's why i just don't get it.

May be Jeff knew what he was doing when he sold the business and made a profit before the brand was going to die?

There's definitely a market for a dual channel SD Budda with an EQ per channel. I make my SD45 work for me but its worth an additional EQ.

6. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Not being a smarta$$ - anybody have clips of a pre SD vs. a post SD, same settings, etc.?

Would love to hear comparison.

7. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

There is one on youtube. Basically the post pev gets louder at lower volumes where there is more range with the pre pev. The clean channel is cleaner sounding and the Drive channel is muddier with a slow attack in comparison to the pre pev.

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

So besides the single youtube video to (arguably) prove the shortcomings of the new amps, we should completely ignore the fact that there are more options out there that may offer more options/tone/value for the money than budda.

There is also a new generation of players that will likely spend their money elsewhere and thus grow up liking different amps because of it.

9. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

For many people their simply being acquired, and by peavey at that, is enough to sound the death bell whether or not anything changed at all.

I think one of their strongest selling points was the small-shop allure. I emailed them when I got my SD18 and Bober himself replied.

10. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Peavey isn't the right "fit" for selling Budda's. You can't find these in the stores from Peavey dealers....
    On line retailers have them but that's about it....it's a shame really

Plexi

11. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

All i know is i will die owning a pre-peavey SD80

12. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Peavey is moving to all over seas production and Budda doesnt really fit that bussiness plan........

13. Classic09

Classic09 Member

I can't decide whether this is arguing the case for or against Budda. There will always be other amps out there with arguably 'better' tone and options. No one makes someone buy an amp they don't want.

I heard this too. Peavey closed plants and auctioned off stock, including untested units.

I'm keeping hold of the two post peavey amps I have. They are from early doors in the transition to post peavey.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yeah, I also wouldn't mind not having shared EQ, that would be very cool as long as it had the same sounds to start with.

But when you open up a SD-II, it's simplicity...I think that is what is the key to its usability and sound. Like you, I make my SD-18 and SD-45 work, and I'm totally happy with the amps. I have been using mine for over ten years now, all the time.

Maybe one reason there isn't so much discussion (and why resale value isn't what it ought to be) about them, I've said "my piece" about them. I tout them and recommend them a lot. A minority of folks often talk of the amp as being too dark, I've never found that to be true. But anyway, I recommend and use and there are just so many times I can pipe in with it.

Not much new has happened, and though you could say some Marshall and Fender amps also haven't changed but get talked about a lot...but there are a lot more of them out there, and lots of folks just discovering them.

Budda SD-II are great amps!! I get exactly what I want to hear out of them.

15. rollyfoster

I have a love/hate relationship with my SD18 and constantly go back and forth about getting something else.

The clean channel is working pretty well for me and I have a wampler tweed 57 on the way to add to it.

I have never been able to figure out what I want to do with the lead channel.

16. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

That's one decision I don't have to make...I live on that channel!

17. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

Budda aside - which is a real shame - I need to know what the 'death bell' sounds like.
    If I hear that, and don't know what it is, I'm going to die confused, wondering where I've gone and how I got there.

18. rollyfoster

Dong
    Dong
    Dong

19. rollyfoster

How is it set? What are you playing with it?

20. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Like any amp that has been around for a long time you have your cult following of guys that swear by them (me included) but they aren't the latest thing so there isn't a ton of buzz. I agree the direction Peavey took with the Bully and what not isn't what the heritage of the brand is about. I haven't played the new amps and i'm sure they sound good but to me that isn't their market.