What's Happening with Epiphone Elitists

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fifthstone, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've noticed that these are getting harder and harder to find, especially the Les Pauls. The SG's are now gone from the Epiphone site completely, as is the LP Standard (which I DO own).

It seems to me that Epiphone (or more likely Gibson) is discontinuing the line, but does anyone have the final word here? I've been GASing to get another Elitist Les Paul, but the Honeyburst Plus model seems to be impossible to get now. I'm getting nervous because it'll take me a few months to save up for this or the Custom and don't want to miss out.

Anyone who has the inside scoop? Thanks!

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Sounds like something Gibson would od, cant have the elitists infringing on thier over priced gibson lines.

3. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Well, not to start a riot, but that's what I suspect. But I'd really like to know what the long term plans are for the line, if anyone on this board has insight.

Thanks.

4. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

2B discontinued or at least scaled back quite a bit (rumour only)

many color offerings have already been phased out on many models

I couldn't locate any at the local dealers. Primarily obtainable via internet.

I didn't find too many at Gibson Showcase either

5. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

The Elitist Les Paul Studio didn't last too long, either. I suspect Gibson saw it as cannibilizing its main lines far too much, which is too bad, because the LP Studio was priced in the same range of a Les Paul Faded and seemed like a much better deal (at least compared to the Faded I saw).

6. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

They will or have already been discontinued.

They were too good to last because why get a crappy memphis ES335 stripped down with matte paint when you can get one that looks a hell of a lot better from Epiphone (it's actually 5 ply maple and not Poplar) and you can just dump the pups and electronics and have a fine unit.

I'd take any of that line over almost anything in the Memphis line.

They have a new sales policy too, that some ridiculous percentage of Gibson or Gibson subsiderary guitars/parts etc has to be sold in a store to carry the Gibson lines. It's absolute crap, either they want GC to have all the gibson stuff or they don't want to sell to small stores anymore.

No skin of my nose.

I liked the Elites, nothing is stopping gibson from offering the same quality in an American guitar, hell they don't have to all ship with ****** klusons, and lame ass "cheap weathered" finishes and ****ing poplar sides geez. They could offer a quality american guitar for less money if they wanted. It's not like Koreans can't build a great guitar either.

Gibson is simply a name driven company, there are loads of much much better built guitars to be had, eventually maybe the market will figure that out.

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

:AOK So true, this has long been my view of gibson as well. I live in Bozeman were they make all the acoustics, and so our local store gets to carry gibson even though they cant possibley move enough pieces to meet gibson's quotas. Anyway the accoustics suck, I said it they suck martins and taylors bolw away as far as quality of build and sound, AND i would take the epiphone masterbilt acoustics over any gibson any day. Plus for the price od a j-200 or a j-45 i could have 4-5 epi masterbilts and 100X the tone.

8. TS808

TS808 Member

I remember when Fender introduced the Pro Tone Squier series. That line began to take a bite out of the low-middle end Fender market and they were discontinued pretty quick too. Not surprising to see the Epiphone Elitists being axed for similar reasons.

9. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

We haven't heard anything officially from Gibson. But with them, you never know until the last minute.

Maybe I should buy that last Epiphone Elitist LP Standard we have, eh? :)

10. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Yeah, this is what I was afraid of. And not a whole lot on ebay either. I did see that some of the larger online retailers do still have some stock, but that LP Plus Honeyburst seems long gone. I suspect by the time I've saved enough for a white Custom they'll be gone completely. Geez.

11. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Wow...some of you folks don't just have opinions, you have hatred.

12. dallas

dallas Member

I'm a Gibson fan from way back. When I was a kid, I didn't think there was a better guitar. These days I'm really kinda pissed off with them. They bought Epiphone because the asians can make a guitar pretty damn close to the americans, sometimes much better. I read an article that had a interview with Les Paul. I still have the magazine. He said Gibson sent him 4 Eppie Les Pauls to check out. He said;"I don't know what they are doing, but keep doing it"! $2500. is insane for a Les Paul. The quality control hasn't been the best in recent years, and WTF is with the mirrored ones and the matte finishes? To me the PRS seems to be the better deal. At least you don't hear horror stories and they seem to be consistant like the 60's and 70's Les Pauls I grew up with.

13. utterhack

utterhack Member

:confused:

The Epiphone Gibson acquired in 1957 was based in NYC. Many of the employees left to join the fledgling Guild.

14. dallas

dallas Member

Guild is another great guitar.

15. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I personally have no hatred for Gibson. But I do agree with others that their pricing seems to have gotten a bit out of control. Which is why I was so happy when Epiphone came out with the Elites. The regular Epiphone Les Pauls are hit and miss. I've played some decent one's but some really bad one's too. It was too good to last I guess.

16. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

If you compare the product lines, there is no longer any exact duplication. Gibson no longer offers the LP Custom or Standard PLUS, or '57 Goldop in its regular LP line. The ES335 models are all Signature Models offered through the custom shop. Non signature models are the ES336 and 356. Those are scaled down body size 335s.

I compared the Gibson, Epiphone Elitist and Gubson Custom Shop web sites.

17. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I recently got a tobacco sunburst LP from my Japanese distributor. It's amazing, but he mentioned they are getting hard to find. I originally wanted a bunch O toys...335, a "V", Explorer , Les Pauls, etc. They were fairly priced, but then he mentioned they no longer make them. It seems the quality gave the US made Gibbies a run for the money, and that didn't bode well at camp-Gibson. Sad, as they were excellent guitars. Sad statement on the way they think "down there" in Nashville... :(

18. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Again, I don't want to bash Gibson by any means. And I think it's important to keep American jobs in America wherever possible. And I think it's worth paying more for a quality product as I think many on this forum do.

But if the reason for Gibson stopping production of the Elitist Les Pauls (if that is indeed the case) was because the Elitists were showing just how overpriced the Gibson's are for what they offer (which may be the case), then I would hope they'd at least lower the prices on some of the Gibson's (some of which are just beyond reason price-wise). Otherwise they could have just let the Epiphone's continue to fill a niche between the standard Epiphone line and the Gibson's. I think there would still be plenty of brand loyalists who would stick with the Gibson's for the headstock and other subtle differences and think it worth the extra cash (I'm not criticizing this, really).

What bothers me about this decision to phase out the Elitist line is that it has now left folks like myself in the lurch. I don't want the low end Epiphone's and I can't afford the Gibson's. So where does that leave me? Sticking with Fender I guess.

19. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Whats with the references to poplar? Is Gibson using poplar and claiming its something else, or being shifty about it? What models?

Simon

20. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I think Gibson has officially renamed poplar "chromite" ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd heard that someplace.:jo