What's he doing with the pick?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Jim85IROC, May 22, 2019.

1. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

I'm trying to figure out exactly what Chris Stapleton is doing with his pick during this guitar solo, starting at around the 2:40 mark.

It looks like right at around the 2:44 mark he tucks the pick into his hand, but then a few seconds later it's clear that there's no pick tucked between unused fingers, then right at 2:55 his hand comes together like he just retrieved the pick from his palm. The rest of the solo certainly *sounds* like he's using a pick, and the position of his fingers would certainly indicate that too. At the 3:10 mark it sure looks (and sounds) like the pick is in use.

So... is he tucking away a pick then retrieving it in some way that I can't figure out, or what?

2. smokinop

smokinop Supporting Member

Probably underneath his ring/pinky finger.

3. FwLineberry

FwLineberry Member

He's holding the pick between the first and second joint of his middle finger. Watch closely how he retrieves it at 2:56.

4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

He's doing this:
    [​IMG]

Holding it like that you can easily finger pick with your middle finger.

5. stratamania

stratamania Member

You can see what he is doing. He is moving it in between his fingers similar to shown in the photo above, then uses thumb and finger, retrieves it and then carries on with a picked passage. Something I do myself if I have a pick in my hand at all when playing that type of style.

An alternate would be hybrid picking or using a thumb pick a la Brent Mason. Or ditch the pick altogether a la Knopfler.

6. RLD

RLD Member

Here is my favorite spot in that vid. Dude can sang!

7. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

Thanks. Since I'm so terrible without a pick, this isn't something that I've ever done or necessarily paid attention to before, but my son is interested in "doing it like Stapleton" so I wanted to find out!

8. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

Currently my son and I both hybrid pick the solo, but my son wants to do it more like Stapleton does!

9. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I thought you didn't like the flex of the Dava!

10. stratamania

stratamania Member

I see, I don't have any tips on how to do that pick hiding manoeuvre or sleight of hand I am afraid. It is something I just started doing naturally.

You could I suppose, away from the guitar, try moving the pick from between thumb and forefinger to being held in the crook of the middle and ring fingers and back again. Once that is achieved without difficulty then try doing it while playing. As the pick is moving relative to the fingers in this case it is in the main the thumb that makes the movements back and forth, and the fingers either release or grip the pick as the thumb moves it to or away from one place to the other. Like most movements you can just do I think that is what is happening as it is easier to do than explain (at least for me).

11. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Quite the opposite! You made me doubt myself so I had to check all my posts on Dava since 2015, and nope, I love them. :)

Bluesful likes this.
  12. Bluesful

I could swear we had a conversation around Dava and the fact that we both thought that they were ok, but the flex was annoying.

My memory is obviously not that great.

Blix likes this.
  13. Bluesful

Found what I remember.

Blix don't like flex.

Blix likes this.
  14. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Here it is, but only you mentioned Dava. :)

Bluesful likes this.
  15. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Lol. Generally. Turns of the Davas are on the right side of what I prefer then! :p

Bluesful likes this.
  16. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

This is a neat trick that we can practice without a guitar nearby. I'll make sure my kid and I both have a pick in our pockets. He can practice at school and I'll have a new excuse not to get anything done at work. :D

stratamania likes this.
  17. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I do this all the time. Except I usually hold the pick in my ring finger not my middle.... been doing this for over 20 years and Can literally go from pick to no pick and back in a fraction of a second.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Blix likes this.
  18. stratamania

stratamania Member

Middle and/or ring fingers would do the job, whatever works for you.

19. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

Are you guys also able to do it when using smaller picks like the Jazz III?

20. rednoise

rednoise Member

Jazz IIIs are just about the only pick I use, and I do the finger trick with them all the time.

The funny thing is that I've been doing this maneuver for, I guess, decades, but I never thought about it until this thread came up. It's nothing I ever worked on, but is just second nature, and I suppose is part of my "style", such as it is.