What's In A Name?

StevenA

Swollen Pickle, DIrty Little Secret, Dirty Boy, Big Muff, Way Huge
Is there a Freud thing going on naming pedals?

thecornman

The name on a pedal is just not something I have ever cared or even thought about. Same goes for paint jobs and decals. None of this has any effect on how it works and sounds.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
The name on a pedal is just not something I have ever cared or even thought about. Same goes for paint jobs and decals. None of this has any effect on how it works and sounds.
The names don't bother me much, though I really don't like some paint jobs. The BBE and Way Huge pedals look too toyish for me. But if it was the pedal I wanted (sound/function), I'd still buy it. I would likely paint it though.

Peace,

EricPeterson

How about Friedman amps? Pink taco?

Checkout Metasonic's offerings, the ****ing ****er and the Assblaster

KennyPatrick

Name it for what it is. MojoHand is putting names on it, with no understanding of what the effect is. It is cool with the name flows into the type of effect. Like the Diaz Tremodillo.

aaronmcoleman

I like names and controls labeled so it's really clear what the pedal is. Control names like "stink", "doom", "alligator teeth" don't make sense to me. I like pedal and control names that make sense.

eriwebnerr

The names don't bother me much, though I really don't like some paint jobs. The BBE and Way Huge pedals look too toyish for me. But if it was the pedal I wanted (sound/function), I'd still buy it. I would likely paint it though.

Peace,
I'm with you Bruce. The names aren't such a big deal to me until they go over the top and try to make it some kind of graphic theme on the pedal. That can easily get gimmicky. Its like explaining a punch line or something.
Aesthetics do effect how we think of a pedal. Throw different knobs on a pedal or a different color and all of the sudden you look at the pedal a totally different way.

EHX did it right - Big Muff. A play on words but it also explained the sound. I'm not sure what a swollen pickle is supposed to sound like. ;-P

Also horonable mention to the "Super Hard-On" from Zvex

Trending Topics