What's in your 2 X 12 cab?

dwes

I am wondering what you stock in your cabs. I have a couple of lower 20-30 watt heads and am trying to decide how best to match them with speakers. Seeking decent cleans with traditional rock/blues tones and very occasional OD/misc effects.

I'm primarily intersted in what works for you as the options are overwhelming!

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dave

Blueser

Gold Supporting Member
Pair of Fane Alnico Blues in a THD 2x12

Pair of English G12H30s in my Germino 2x12 open back

P

peacock72

Originally posted by leofenderbender
A 30 watt Weber Blue Dog Alnico and a 30 watt Weber C1230 Ceramic.
I've got 2 C1230's in my Bluesbreaker. They are fantastic speakers. Great crunch and tight low-end. Celestion Blues and Blues clones like the Weber Blue Dogs are a great match as well for lower powered amps, especially for 60's Rock and Blues. Greenbacks sound great as well in a closed back cab. I personally wouldn't recommend them in a open back.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
I have three 2x12s.
  • One has Celestion CL80s
  • One has V30s
  • One has PRS Celestions
The CL80s are by far my favorite regardless of amp (Soldano, Rivera, Two Rock, Peters, & Fuchs). They have tasty cleans and smooth OD and relatively flat frequency response. They sounded great with a 1.5W Doberman Hi-Octane so there's no prob with lower power amps.

CAFeathers

Currently my Marshall 1922 2x12 has a set of SA-12-75-16 Scumback speakers in it. I'm waiting on a set of SA-12M-75-16 Scumbacks then I'm going to run a SA-12-75-16/SA-12M-75-16 set in my Custom Made 2x12.

Check out the details on the Scumbacks at www.scumbagamps.com click on "Speakers".

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
I have 2 old G12H30s in my open-back ÷13 2x12. I'm having a closed-back cab made and it will probably have two recent issue greenbacks in it.

n8b

When I used to have a 2-12 (wish I still did), it had an Eminence V12 and M12.

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
Germino closed back 2x12 with Greenbacks.

I mainly go for late 60's early 70's classic Marshall tones and my Germino cab is simply the best 2x12 I've played.

MightyGuru

Top Hat 2X12 open back with a British G12H30 and a Red Fang. Great for a broad range of styles and tones.

GM1

I have 4 cabs

Old Marshall Birch 2x12 with 77 Blackbacks

Bruno 2x12 with G12H30s

Bruno 2x12 with a mix of a G12H30 and a Blue

Tone Tubby with 2 G1265s (originals)

Just ordered a 1x12 Two Rock cab with a Jensen Neo

Blueser

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by r9player
Pair of Fane AX's still breaking them in, so far not all that bad.
Now there's a ringing endorsement! ;) I must say that the first few days with these speakers concerned me, as they were a bit harsh, but now I am loving them, and they are sounding better every time I play them. They are a bit darker than a Cele Blue, but are a perfect match for the SLO, and the Constellation.

hasserl

I've got two Weber ceramic California 12's in an open back cab. I use it as an extension cab w/ my Princeton Reverb or w/ my homebrew amps.

The PR likely makes about 20 watts clean now w/ a couple of mods and tweaks, and the Cali filled ext. cab makes it sound huge.

straticus

Top Hat closed back with a Weber Blue Dog ceramic and a G12H30.

I've tried other speakers combo's but keep going back to this one.

Trending Topics