What's involved getting a custom built pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eicca, Apr 12, 2015.

1. eicca

eicca Member

Say I wanted to combine a nice tubey overdrive a la Blues Driver with a cabinet simulator and a preset 6-band EQ, in that order, all in one stompbox with a true-bypass switch. Hard to build? Is there a company that does custom stuff?

2. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Midnight 30 supposedly likes taking on custom orders. Maybe give him a shout

3. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Plenty of companies do custom work. JHS Pedals, Walrus Audio, etc...

The trick is finding a company who will come along side your vision (sonically and aesthetically) for the right price.

4. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Ask around locally first. There might be someone in your area that does it.

5. eicca

eicca Member

Is it very difficult to build one myself, if I know how to solder and read a schematic?

6. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

If you know how to solder and read a schematic, you are further along than most people when they start building pedals. There's a learning curve, but I am sure you could do it. Plus, then you can get exactly what you want.

7. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

Building pedals is actually pretty easy. There is a learning curve but not really that bad. Build three effects in one box isn't tough.

8. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Had you shared that info in your initial post, I would have told you same as well. I never built a pedal before this February. After doin so, it was actually not that bad. I didn't build a effect like your doing, rather a "pedalboard controller" as I call it, it was a comglamorate of a few different things in one chassis (amp channel, buffered ABY selector, tap tempo, expression knob, etc).

I'm handy with soldering copper tubing (I'm a plumber) so soldering didn't scare me too much, especially rewiring my guitar, but didn't know the first thing about how to wire up any of the preceding functions for my build. I'd suggest do a lot of research on what your wanting to accomplish. Since it sounds like you already know what type of circuits you want to use, and you can read a schematic, this should be simple. Just research the materials you'll need and how big of an enclosure you'll need, and the rest will be fairly simple, other than knob/switch placement on the enclosure.

Some good resources for parts at good prices:
    Smallbearelectronics.com
    Mammothectronics.com
    Pedalpartsplus.com

9. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

Contact Matt at Noisekick FX. He can build a whole bunch of stuff and specializes in effect combos in one box. He just built me a Phase 90/CE-2 pedal....

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

...and he is in the process of building me a dual delay pedal with reverb and foot-switchable modulation.

10. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

ARC Effects and VFE come to mind.

11. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

If you can find vero layouts for the effects you are looking for (check tagboard effects), all you need to do is build those seperatly. Combining them like you want is about wiring. The tagboard effects site also explains how to wire multiple effects up like you want.

12. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

Also - all of this assumes that you are looking at using effects with readily available schematics/layouts/PCB's available. If you are wanting a newly designed circuit - all bets are off. That would be $$$ I suspect, and greatly narrow the pool of folks that could help you.

13. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

Basic Audio does custom work as well. Although I'm not sure if he'll do something like that. I could be totally wrong though. John is a great builder!

http://www.basicaudio.net

14. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

Check with Peter at VFE. They have a nice custom build page for their standards that will soon have double and triple pedals. They have a few close to want you want already.

15. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Get yourself one of dem Craig Anderton books.

16. stellablue

stellablue Member

17. guspc

guspc Supporting Member

Yes, Midnight 30 Music is pretty awesome. Joshua builds custom pedal for many people. I have 2 pedals from them on my board.

18. eicca

eicca Member

Then heck, I could just Frankenpedal something together and stuff it into a single large enclosure, yeah?

19. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Why not just get 3 effects you want, a Powerall, mount them up on a small wood board and be done with it. You'll come out many $$$$ and many hours of planning/frustration ahead of the game. A BD, a Tech21 gt2 and EQ+power.

20. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

Pretty much.