What's Light and Really Flexible?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by googoobaby, Mar 23, 2006.

1. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I currently use a G&L Comanche which is well made and wonderfully flexible. I can go from thick to annoyingly twangy with lots of chime and presence. The weight of the Comanche is getting me down though, as it's nearly 10 pounds. What else is out there that sounds this good that won't kill my back?

I like P90s and Filtertrons but haven't found the guitars I've played to be especially flexible. I love recorded Ricks, but they don't sound good to me when I'm playing them (Johnny Marr to the white courtesy phone...). I've played a bunch of Fender Strats and they're but a pale shadow of the Comanche. I'm just weirdly fussy...:)

2. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Try something that is hollow or chambered.
    As to what has the Comanche sound .. not too sure I vaguely remember my Commanche being a hot strat sound, so I'd get a hollow or chambered strat with Fralin Steel Poles or other set of hot pick ups Rio Grande, Lollar Vintage Hots?

3. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

A good suggestion. I think I'd describe the Comanche pickup sound more as "big" than "hot". Even the clean bridge really fills space.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Either track down a lighter Commanche (yours is one of the heaviest I've heard about) or look into a G&L Z-3 semi-hollow. You'll have the same pickups and switching options, but will give up the floating bridge on a semi-hollow.

Bryan

5. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Pasta! (in small servings...)

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

According to G&L the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Comanche[/FONT] body is "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Swamp Ash on all transparent finishes, Alder on all solid finishes".

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/instruments.asp?prcode=Comanche

You must have a very heavy alder body! Try looking for one in swamp ash.

Many Gibson SGs are very light because of their thin bodies. Flying Vs are often very light too. I have an Epi Elitist SG that I use when I want to use a set neck guitar, because it's rather light, and I can't play heavy guitars for long anymore. I need to get a better bridge PU in there before I'll be happy with it though. If you like Filtertrons and P90s, figure you'd automatically need to swap PUs.

You like Filtertrons? I'm using a hot GFS Filtertron in my unfinished Tele in the bridge position. The neck PU is a Kent Armstrong PAF with 12 polepieces:
    [/FONT]
    [​IMG]

I might finish this one next month when a Warmoth Tele neck comes in. It should come out ok, but I need to work on the body a bit more first.

Pete

7. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

It's swamp ash actually, under a transparent blue finish. The tree must have grown in a swamp rich in heavy metals.

8. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

A swamp full of heavy water!

Is it a one piece body? Every time I see a supposedly desirable body that's one piece, the thing is heavier than I want. I was told that that's because of the part of the tree that they need to cut it from.

I wonder if G&L has really heavy blocks in their whammy bars.

Pete

9. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

It looks like one piece to me. No visible discontinuities in the very visible grain. Maybe I have a depleted uranium trem block? :)

10. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

11. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Melancon! Reverend!

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

SG. More versatile than you may think, and definitely light. AC

13. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

14. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

If you find a lightweight Tele-Sonic you might be surprised by the flexibility.

Another strategy would be to get a light guitar with humbuckers and then replace the humbuckers by TV Jones TVtrons, or whatever his humbucker form factor Filtertron pickups are.

But if you want P-90s and light, then Anderson Hollow Cobra with P-90s can be an incredible guitar. I wouldn't say it's that flexible, but if you like P-90s and lightweight that guitar should be on the list.

For a lot less money, there is also the Gibson faded option. Also PRS SE.

15. hipfan

hipfan Member

16. jeswin123

jeswin123 Member

My new main guitar was purchased on 3 principles, flexibility in tone, manageability (ease of playing, weight, strap dangle), and attractiveness. I got all three for half the price I was willing to play. I can't say it enough, try the RKS guitars. Oh yeah, just over 5lbs for the tenite body, just under 6lbs for the alder body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

A bit out of the box, but might I suggest a Levy's MSS-1 strap?

My Les Paul is on the heavy side, and it seemed I was getting too old to handle it. I'd actually purchased a lighter guitar (semi-hollow ASAT) and was quite in love with it, when a bass player came in and special ordered two of these straps. He claimed it was the only thing that let him play his P-Bass all night comfortably. I tried one, and now my 11 lb. Custom no longer hurts, and is back to being my main axe. I know there are a lot of wide straps out there, and I'd tried quite a few, but Levy's got it right. The padding rolls up on the edge to protect your neck, and the heavy leather has just enough give to cushion the weight. Highly recommended.

As an aside, I'm not sure you'd be happy with a lighter Comanche. You'd give up some bass and treble, which the z-coils need to really shine. That is, heavy guitars have more bass. No surprise. But, they also tend to be stiffer, which gives them more treble. Guitar is a midrange instrument, so there are great SGs and semi-hollow ASATs are wonderful, but in my experience, the best Comanches are heavy. (I know, I'm just begging to hear from someone in love with their s-h Z-3! ;) )

18. loudboy

loudboy Member

Parker Fly? Don't come much lighter, or more flexible.

Loudboy

19. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

This one has fit that description for me. TV Jones pickups (great stuff), 4lb swamp ash body (USACG), hardtail strat bridge. Overall weight around 7lbs. Really does everything.

[​IMG]

20. daddyo

daddyo Guest

If I needed a do all guitar in the single coil area - I'd go an ash bodied rosewood necked tele with a Callaham compensated bridge and Jerry Donahue pup or similar, strat middle, strat neck, and a switch system that gives you: bridge, middle, neck, bridge/neck parallel, bridge/neck series, neck/middle parallel, bridge/neck parallel.

An alder bodied strat with a bridge humbucker is also a good choice ut you'll not get twang.