what's like a TC Electronics SCF but has less of the "problems" associated?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coolhand78, Feb 19, 2012.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

I'm looking for a good chorus much like the TC Electronics SCF to attempt to get some lush Eric Johnson like clean tone, but am not wanting the tone suck, noise and other associated issues that seem to exist with the TC pedal? is there anything out there in the land of chorus that gets that type of chorus sound?

2. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Never heard of the SCF having issues w/ tone suck, since it's buffered. Nor any other issues. I've had an SCF(s) since 1978 and still use one today w/o a worry. Can you elaborate on the other possible issues?

3. mr_cheef

mr_cheef Member

Their Nova Modulator does it pretty well, no issues with mine :)

4. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Mod Zero, and TC's own Corona.

5. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

corona sounds nice. however, mod zero sucks top end like anything.

6. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Ah okay, I didn't know that. I just knew that it was often considered that the Mod Zero was very similar to the TC SCF. I guess not so much.

7. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I was not aware of any issues with this pedal. I only sold the one I had because I got a Pitchfactor and can get chorus sounds out of that that work fine for me.

8. Blix

Blix Member

I've never had any issues with the ones I've owned. Personally I haven't tried anything else that sounds just like it, but the Carl Martin Chorus would be the closest I've tried.
    Both needs to be used in stereo for that EJ tone btw, both a quite bland and boring in mono.

9. modernp

modernp Member

Its post like this that do a disservice to good companies. I have never heard anything bad about this pedal and have one myself. Where do you get this information?

NamaEnsou likes this.
  10. jnepo1

:agree If anything, the complaints I've heard of regarding the SCF is that it is AC powered. Even that can be solved, I converted one of mine, a 70's version I bought new, and converted it to DC powering. I can power it between 18-35V and only requires 23mA.

Russ1961 likes this.
  11. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I had an old SCF for a while and it was really nice... no issues that I remember. I think people might describe the chorus as a bit scooped IIRC and the Flange and PM never did anything for me. All in all, great pedal. I never owned the Corona, but people seem to describe it as pretty different from the SCF.

12. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I know this is kinda frowned on around here since it's not high end but the Digitech Chorus factory has a TC Model on it.

I have used the CF7 for four years now. No noticeable tone suck or noise. The TC model sounds to me a little more flanger like but there is quite a bit of tweaking that can be done on the pedal.

These things were only $100 new so you can probably get one dirt cheap. It's worth looking at.

Scott

13. coolhand78

I'm glad that I posted this thread, because i was always under the impression that the pedal suffered from "tone suck" issues when bypassed, and that it had inherent noise problems, but it seems I'm misinformed... to be honest though it was mostly forum banter rather than my own personal experience with it...

i'm my case i'm looking for something similar that will sound as good but in mono and i'd much prefer the pedal to be true bypass as I have other buffered pedals....

thanks for you help guys!

14. jnepo1

15. coolhand78

cool thanks man, i'll email him and get his thoughts...

i really want to be able to achieve that Eric Johnson like clean tone, with the two delays and chorus for the ambient stuff i'm getting into atm....

biggest problem is i'm running mono and not stereo, which would be a better way to go for what i'm doing right now, but i'll suffice...! ;)

16. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

You can definitely run it in mono no problem, certainly any chorus sounds better in stereo though.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  17. Blix

Blix Member

You have to try before you buy coolhand, personally I don't like it for that particular type of sound, and it's not a matter of understanding the controls or not................

Now the core tone is more important anyway, it's the chime of Twin Reverbs and Delux Reverbs the magic lies... :)

Personally I prefer a Arion Chorus for mono.

18. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

As has been said, it sounds very good in mono, it just sounds better in stereo. As to your second issue, you could just put it in a bypass looper and be done with it. You get the chorus sound you're looking for, and it's out of your path when it's not being used. Having said that, I find the buffer to be of pretty high quality and have used it for that reason in the past. To each his own.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  19. killer blues

killer blues Member

not true. One of the best ever at what it does. I used one for many years in my younger days. Sounds great, and is well built. You must have caught the tail end of a BS story

NamaEnsou likes this.
  20. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Well, I'm looking forward to finding out. I've been on a EJ clean tone hunt knowing my mono rig is never going to get all the way there. I am very pleased with the tones I'm getting so far and the SCF I just bought from Jnepo1 will be the frosting on the cake.
    Mono, stereo....gotta be better than the Boss CE-5 I've been using.

NamaEnsou likes this.