What's like an OCD..but with an EQ circuit?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarfor1, Jan 21, 2012.

1. guitarfor1

guitarfor1 Member

So I have a constant love/hate relationship with my OCD v4....

Love: the dynamics, especially at 18v, just an wonderfully expressive pedal

Hate: this is only sometimes...some of the time I love the transparency of the OCD, but more and more I'm wishing it had an eq circuit built in

So my question is, are they any pedals out there with the dynamics of an OCD but with a more flexible EQ control?

I know the HBOD/SHOD is notrious for dynamics, how much eq shift do you see in the nature/body control?

Also, what about an original Marshall Guv'nor, any feel for the dynamics?

Thanks all!

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Stack a Tim or Timmy into it.

3. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

An OCD with a ParaEQ after it.

4. guitarfor1

guitarfor1 Member

Yeah I'm guessing that'll end up being the answer...just hoping my dream of a OCD w/3 band EQ is out there somewhere :D

5. changeling

changeling Member

fulltone gt500 distortion side.

6. King Rat

King Rat Member

menatone kob is like the ocd with a 4 band eq... i have a v4 and they are very similar into a blackface

7. chance0

chance0 Member

Tube Zone. Internal presence turned down. Then you have Brightness (presence), Mids, and Tone (treble/bass balance). At higher gain settings, the Tube Zone remains tighter than the OCD. At lower gain settings, the Tube Zone is flatter (doesn't have as much boost in the high end, but a treble boost can get you there). Cleans up marvelously. Same basic gain structure, however.

I didn't like the Empress.

8. chance0

chance0 Member

The GT-500 does have three tone controls, but they don't work as well with many amps as does the Tube Zone. The High control works like a cut control. The mid control is powerful but was hit or miss with my set of amps. The Bass control is delightful, though. It seems to be at the right frequency for extension and fullness. But overall the Tube Zone can do most everything the GT-500 and has better top end control.

The Tube Zone also accepted treble boosters much better. The top end on the GT-500 never let a strat's sparkle through like the TZ.

9. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I just got my 2nd EQ pedal, got my first a few weeks ago. They are very helpful IMO - I shied away for a while because they are expensive and I like my base tone, but they really add versatility when used as an effect - I use mine as a midboost.

I am probably going to keep the Fromel Shape, will probably flip the PQ4, but both are good and have their benefits.

10. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

11. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but in case it helps I look at the OCD as 3 bands of EQ. This works for me, assuming you want an overdrive sound of course! The tone knob obviously is the 'treble' knob, the drive is like a 'bass' knob, and the volume is like the 'mids' knob. Each of these seems to increase those frequencies as they are turned up. I initially wanted more mids out of the OCD, until I approached it like this.

Of course, I've has great results with an actual EQ before and after the OCD as well. IMO, the OCD is the perfect template for crafting custom OD tones with an EQ.

12. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

BK Butler Tube Driver could be up your alley?

13. guitarfor1

guitarfor1 Member

Alright, so it sounds like an EQ is in my future....with that said:

Do you think I should go graphic or parametric? My primary goal with this is take slight breakup AC15 + OCD + EQ = modern alt rock tones

14. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

15. scolfax

scolfax Member

8 words.... SLOStortion.

16. guitarfor1

guitarfor1 Member

Ahhhh, my SLOstortion GAS was just starting to die...

17. rico1204

rico1204 Member

Or a Plextortion for that Marshall flavor.

Still, I vote EQ pedal! A good EQ pedal fixes a lot of sins in my tone...

18. scolfax

scolfax Member

And even better, it has an independent boost! Fulltone should really consider adding one to the OCD.

19. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

Yeah, I found I always wanted a touch more mids in my OCDv4. I hooked up my Boss GE7 pedal and simply bumped it up a touch around 400 and it really helped. But, I didn't like the eq on for my clean signal, which meant I either had to turn both pedals on and off together, or to hook them into a switcher of sorts.

In then end, I found I loved the Barber LTD just the way it was, so that's my primary drive now (although, I find it isn't quite as responsive as the OCD).

20. sgsupremep90

sgsupremep90 Member

Catalyst feels to me like an OCD with a Baxandall 2 knob eq. Very similar tone and feel plus better tone control. Check the Mike Fuller vid. All that said, the OCD is on my board, the Catalyst is not. Last thing on the board is an MXR band eq.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk3dk-825bU