What's live music looking like for you this month in your area?

JZG

Where in the Mitten are You? I'm SW in Allegan (45 min to Grand Rapids and 45 to K-Zoo) and play the Lakeshore. Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, Holland, etc in the Summer. It's hard to beat! (During normal times)
I'm in the Detroit area. Yeah, we had gigs booked in Holland, Traverse City, and Boyne this summer - all cancelled. We did 3 or 4 weekends last year "up north." It was a blast and love playing out there. We should talk...

Simon

Supporting Member
I'm in the Detroit area. Yeah, we had gigs booked in Holland, Traverse City, and Boyne this summer - all cancelled. We did 3 or 4 weekends last year "up north." It was a blast and love playing out there. We should talk...
Where in Holland were you booked? feel free to PM Me.

ant_riv

Supporting Member
Southeast WI.
Two outdoor gigs in July and three in August, weather permitting.
The July ones were great and I’m anticipating the August ones to be also.

shredtrash

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
There are still a few patio gigs to be had here in Albuquerque. I've chosen not to gig until COVID is under control. I'm probably on the shelf until spring of next year at the earliest.

aiq

Supporting Member
Some of the beach places that have a patio or outdoor area for easier social distancing have been booking live music. A few indoor places beginning.

Numbers here still rising. I am not going into a crowd of people anytime soon.

Kingpin2

In many parts of Canada, things are slowly opening up. Mostly outdoor gigs at this point. I don't gig a lot in normal times, but usually do half a dozen events in the summer. Not this summer, but my band is doing an outdoor wedding in early September so it will be nice to play for an audience. I'm in Southwestern Ontario.

Random1643

Here in central Minnesota USA, lake country, with all the resorts, bars, restaurants, etc there are plenty of venues trying to get back into business, some with live music. On March 14 I played one of the last pre-statewide shutdown gigs in the area, goofed around with live streaming and other annoying gig-like activities until early-July - meh. Since then I've played a handful of Covid era gigs that combine current operating restrictions for the venues with What I'm Willing To Do. Being a solo performer these days makes things easier. I'm 66 with 3 underlying conditions for Covid so I'm strictly performing outside with more than 6' distance from the nearest humans. Just bought a canopy to support this. When the cold weather sets in, absent a vaccine, I'm done for the season. I might do more live streaming, weird pre-recording of songs,...but it's not fun for me.

Phil3

There was no such thing as local music anywhere near where I live before covid sadly.

sleewell

Last night was a blast

We setup where they normally have the one of the side stages for the common ground music festival. beautiful weather, right by the river. Had about 40 or 50 people show up. We play metal and this little girl was going nuts, it was hilarious. People were saying it was the first live music that had seen since Feb and seemed really happy. People gave us beer and left them from a distance. It was a blast. Finished our 2nd set and we were packing up when some cops came to ask us if we could keep playing. they were really nice. Could pull my car right up to where we played. doing this again soon. Was really fun.

Last edited:

jnewmark

I haven't played since June15, although in my area, live music has started again, with certain limitations like social distancing, etc. Actually, the single and duo guys are playing a lot more than your typical bands here. A lot of players are also going the Facebook/Live route and asking for donations to a PayPal account. I'm supposed to do one of those in the near future, and also have an outdoor gig coming up next month.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
Outdoor live music going strong in Southern WI.
I have opted not go gig until the covid thing is under control. One of my cover bands agreed and cancelled all gigs for the year. Other cover band wanted to keep gigging so I quite on good terms.

Had a lot of gigs booked and normally they could have found a replacement very quickly but due to Covid they can't find anyone. When they did finally get someone he ended up quitting before any gigs. He also had Covid concerns.
I see that they have now cancelled all gigs for the rest of the year. We're still on good terms. We'll see what next year brings.
Ive done the exact same thing! @HoboMan and I have a lot on common....

62Tele

Supporting Member
My band is pretty much on hold. Too many uncertainties and we'd all hate to contribute to the problem by bringing people together. Like most folks, we all really miss playing out.

guitarjazz

I played a wedding recently. Temp checks for all guests. The bride had a beautiful mask on.
We had to play indoors because of weather but everybody stayed distant and I knew the hosts and guests were serious.

guitarjazz

I’ve been playing a lot of gigs...the masked guitar player. Mostly smallish gigs. People are really starved for real human entertainers.

Sean

Supporting Member
I haven't had a full band gig since March. But I have played in duos and trios since. I also put together a trio with a drummer and vocalist that has been very fun.

I have gigged maybe 10 times since late July (all outside) . I have 4-5 gigs in the next week. Again, all acoustic/outside. It took me a little to figure out the landscape but I am as busy as before. The money has gotten worse due to limited crowds/seating.

My pandemic gig observations:
-people that are willing to go to a bar during a pandemic don't seem to give many ***** about social distancing.
-younger people (20's) don't seem to care at all. Business as usual for them.
-as people drink more the level of safety drops
-I've had had to remind people that no, I don't want to hug them

I have actually felt fairly safe during gigs. I'm far enough away from people and its all outside. I wear a mask if I move from where I am isolated/playing. I am a very good self advocator. I have zero issue telling anyone to back the F up.

We just opened for 1/4 capacity inside in NJ. If numbers don't spike, I expect 50% soon. The managers/owners I have spoken to say more gigs shortly likely inside. I'm not sure if I will do them inside yet. I need to watch/think about it.

Last edited:

kidmandude

Silver Supporting Member
Everything is outside till snow hits the ground! And even then there still might be some gigs here and there outside.

Trending Topics