What's live music looking like for you this month in your area?

absurdplanet

Outdoor/patio gigs are happening in Louisville but few and far between. I've had a grand total of two gigs since March. The local jazz club opened back up, I think, this weekend. Pretty sure our governor is announcing today that bars will need to close again so that will put a stop to that. None of my friends are gigging regularly, gonna be a long time until things are back to what they were.
Here in the SF Bay Area: Classic Blues is dead-Blues-Rock isn't exactly happening; however, a few gigs
With so many clubs going to Electronic Dance Music, a lot of gigs disappeared
Seems Classic Rock is also past it's due date
As the years go by, our following is no longer following
Gigging 10-15 nights a month ain't happening

jazzgtrl4

Silver Supporting Member
dead as doornail here in socal...did a underground restaurant thing a couple times a few weeks ago but it was kinda sketchyy.

Matt Sarad

Our last gigs were the week before Halloween. Canceled all rehearsals since then. In the meantime my ex wife had a mild case of C19 and gave it to her Mom who died last weekend.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
We have a continuing open jam on Fridays. Only a few patrons show up and it’s a very small group of regular musicians. Still...it’s live music and just fun to get out. All you can do is keep going forward and make the most of it!

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
My band hasn’t played a gig since March and honestly I’m not mad about it. Have a new idea I’m probably gonna run with post-pandemic that I think will be significantly more lucrative and significantly easier to book (who would have thought pop music would be hard to book...but in Arkansas...)

My “gigging” has been in churches this year. Less headache, no drunk people screaming in your face or bumping into the mic, I play 5 songs a few times and make better money in one morning than a lot of guys here do out all night Friday and Saturday.

x24gtrman

Silver Supporting Member
We had 4 gigs post covid (discovery/social distancing) last year and 1 so far this year. Also booked for a wedding in April this year. All things considered I'm happy with the amount of work especially since we aren't an every weekend style band. We play originals and instrumentals mainly with some odd covers here and there. Glad to have the opportunity to play out at outdoor venues with appreciative masked crowds who are hungry for live music. It's not the same old bar gigs these days which is fine w me. Seems as the weather gets warmer here there will be more opportunities to play out (literally) b/c coastal South Carolina lends itself to that medium.

Last edited:

kidmandude

Platinum Supporting Member
Northeast here Connecticut, we wont be playing till it warms up and it will be outdoor venues only for us till i don't know when, my guess till every age gets there shot or is offered?

john weires

Silver Supporting Member
Still nothing happening in Estes Park, Co where it's obviously winter and playing indoors is risky. Maybe by June when the vaccinated (hopefully) tourist show up.

SirJuxtable

Our last gigs were the week before Halloween. Canceled all rehearsals since then. In the meantime my ex wife had a mild case of C19 and gave it to her Mom who died last weekend.
Sorry to hear that. Condolences. I know that must be so tough on your wife.

sixty2strat

I wouldn't know because I barely leave the house. I don't even see the point of playing some sad, empty gig at a pub, definitely not worth the risk for me. I'll wait it out, better than the alternative.
I see people posting stuff out and about. Friends playing gigs. Had to get a cashiers check to pay off retaxes to avoid a sheriffs sale. So went to the bank. Next day dry raspy throat, sinus drip, mild cold, headaches, and felt out of sorts that was my first day off the property since 12/23 and into sub 30 temp for the first time. So did I get a cold, did I get covid, 7 days and still unsure, been told you feel better then worse, and a million other things. Too stressful. So I took the risk, not to loose a 400k home for 1180.00, to gig and take the chance for a 100 dollars no thanks. Covid is like Aids in the 80's. When you pretty much screwed everyone your partner did. With Covid you interacted with everyone that person has for 2 weeks. So 1 meeting is as good as a 1000 people.

DonaldDemon

I see people posting stuff out and about. Friends playing gigs. Had to get a cashiers check to pay off retaxes to avoid a sheriffs sale. So went to the bank. Next day dry raspy throat, sinus drip, mild cold, headaches, and felt out of sorts that was my first day off the property since 12/23 and into sub 30 temp for the first time. So did I get a cold, did I get covid, 7 days and still unsure, been told you feel better then worse, and a million other things. Too stressful. So I took the risk, not to loose a 400k home for 1180.00, to gig and take the chance for a 100 dollars no thanks. Covid is like Aids in the 80's. When you pretty much screwed everyone your partner did. With Covid you interacted with everyone that person has for 2 weeks. So 1 meeting is as good as a 1000 people.
yeah, I just don't see the point in gigging, it sounds too risky and there is barely any audience. We don't even go out to eat so I'm definitely not playing for a bunch of careless drunks. My bassist just got it and luckily he pulled through, so we aren't even practicing right now.

roverdog

We had 4 gigs post covid last year and 1 so far this year. Also booked for a wedding in April this year. All things considered I'm happy with the amount of work especially since we aren't an every weekend style band. We play originals and instrumentals mainly with some odd covers here and there. Glad to have the opportunity to play out at outdoor venues with appreciative masked crowds who are hungry for live music. It's not the same old bar gigs these days which is fine w me. Seems as the weather gets warmer here there will be more opportunities to play out (literally) b/c coastal South Carolina lends itself to that medium.
Post Covid?

Wished I live where you do! Here in Ontario, Canada, we have been ordered to stay home, so even social distanced practices in a large warehouse room have been cancelled. And at - 20C, there won’t be any outdoor gigs for a while!

x24gtrman

Silver Supporting Member
Post Covid?

Wished I live where you do! Here in Ontario, Canada, we have been ordered to stay home, so even social distanced practices in a large warehouse room have been cancelled. And at - 20C, there won’t be any outdoor gigs for a while!
Since the discovery and socially distanced implemented actions of covid-19 but yeah, we do have nice outdoor weather that's not -20C so outdoor gigs can happen in wide open venues. The December gig we did was @31F so although not Canadian cold, pretty cold for the southern part of the US and we were outside.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Pretty steady after the first shock of C19 last year. But, it's a risk.

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member
Absolutely no shows happening where I am in Germany. We've been under a hard lockdown for awhile now and they're talking about even more restrictions. Currently the only shops open are grocery stores and pharmacies. There's a curfew from 8PM-5AM. In some areas, there's also a 15km radius travel restriction from the home. No more than one person from another household can visit at a time. I talked to a lady recently who said she and her husband were taking turns visiting their grandkids.

So, we're raising our eyebrows a bit when friends from the states complain about how bad it is right now. I accepted a position in Florida last week after being approached about a new opportunity in the area recently. We'll see how it is down there.

Trending Topics