What's new and/or innovative out there in the world of modulation effects?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KRosser, Feb 26, 2006.

1. KRosser

KRosser Member

It seems there's been lots of options and innovative stuff happening in the world of fuzz/overdrive/distortion, etc but not so much for modulation effects, and I'm in the mood to try out some new things.

You know, it seems like there's still chorus, phase, tremolo pedals etc and vintage recreations, but is there anything new out there?

One thing that's sparked my interest is something like the Red Witch Moon Phaser, which I haven't had a chance to try yet, but the fact that it has phase, trem and a combination function and appears to have an interesting sonic approach to each. Or the EH Flanger Hoax looks to be a little something different.

Anyway, what's new and/or innovative in the world of modulation pedals out there?

2. amper

amper Member

Z.Vex Tremorama and Ringtone, as shown at the latest NAMM show. Some place around here is a thread containing links to the preliminary Ringtone demo videos on the Z. Vex site.

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Gig-Fx Chopper
    Boss RT-20
    L6 Roto-Machine
    Red Witch Pentavocal Trem

4. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Digitech ex-7 expression factory

5. drolling

drolling Member

K, I seem to recall you're into looping, and while they're not exactly cutting edge, I've been having fun w/beat synched filters, flangers & phasers which I'm using to create a bed of ambient, percolating texture over which I drop some conventional chords & a melody.

I'm using an M-Audio BlackBox for this purpose. It's basically a dumbed-down AdrenaLinnn II w/a UBS port. It comes bundled w/a 'lite' version of Abelton recording software, which is great for looping on a PC.

Another toy I've been having a blast with is the E13 Truly Beautiful Disaster. What sets it apart from other fuzzes is the switchable feedback loop & photosensitive eye. The feedback loop mangles the output of any standard effect, and feeds it back into the fuzz to create bizarre & unpredictable howls, bleeps, whistles, etc. The 'eye' functions like a theramin or one of those ZVex probe thingies, in that you can manipulate the sound by moving your hand or any object in close proximity to the photo-sensor.

The stuff I've been coming up with is certainly new to me..

6. msp

msp Member

cusacks stuff is preaty cutting edge for analog stompers

his new tap-phase pedal soon to be released is deffinately worth a look

7. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

Right, I forgot about ZVex. I saw these at NAMM but couldn't get close enough to check them out. I'll definitely put them on the list...

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

Yeah, I'd like to hear more about this.

I tried both of these and was kinda underwhelmed. Besides, these are more or less in the category of 'vintage recreations', no?

Like I said, I haven't had a chance to sit down with the Red Witch stuff but it's on my radar.

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

I had really high hopes for this at NAMM but I didn't like it at all. A big part of the problem may have been the rig they had it set up through, though so I'll give it another chance when it hits the stores

11. KRosser

KRosser Member

So that's more of a recording tool? I was thinking in terms of live applications, but I'm intrigued. I'll check it out.

A bunch of the E13 stuff looks interesting along the fuzz lines. I have a bunch of that kind of stuff now so I feel a little less urgency in that direction, but that sounds cool, I'll keep my eye out for it anyway.

12. KRosser

KRosser Member

I clicked on the link to your store & read the blurb. I'm definitely intrigued. I think this is kinda what I'm looking for. The description is a little vague - is it more of a filter effect, like the Z Vex Oow-Wah, or modulation?

13. KRosser

KRosser Member

Cool, I'll be on the lookout for it. I had a Fuzz Screamer for a while, which I thought was great but it sorta got sent to the selling block by an influx of BJF pedals. But this might be something like what I'm talking about, and thanks for the heads-up

14. e-z

e-z Member

It's more of a filter effect but it is much more versatile than the Ooh Wah. I received an Adrenalinn II as my Xmas bonus and after spending a night with it decided the best thing about it was the filter section so I played with the Ooh Wah and the MuRF and brought home the Moog. True Tone has them in stock usually.

15. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

I DEMAND MORE INFO!! Do you have any? :AOK

16. msp

msp Member

i have conversed with mr cusack over the phone to confirm the rumor

and its true..........all the info i could gather was this:

the tap-a-phase (or whatever he will call it) will have the same basic design as the tap-a-whirl, it will use opotcuplers to incorporate the tap tempo and ramping/brake feature into the analog circuitry

it will have various waveform settings like the tap-whirl

and his favorite phasers personally are the eh-small stone and variations of the mutron phasers

so i would assume that the phasers will have some sounds in that ballpark

oh yeah....i asked him if it will be a set 4 stage phaser or if there will be different options for stages (hopefully 8,10 and 12 stages) he wants to have atleast one other option for an alternative to the 4 stage phase but wasn't sure about it quite yet...so hopefully there will be atleast another option for say a 10 stage setting

of course the tap-phase will use his proprietary true bypassing system too....wich is genius IMHO

thats all the info i could gather

mr. cusack took alot of time to talk to me and i really appreciated it

he really is a true lover of his work and just a swell guy ta boot

17. KRosser

KRosser Member

Thanks for that info...I will definitely be keeping an eye out for that!