What's next..(Dirt advice)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Grainslayer, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

I've got a boss sd-1 and an ibanez Ts-9 but feel I'm not quite where I want to be.i have a strat and play blues and rock...i dont really play much metal anymore...I'd appreciate any opinions..cheers.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Check out a Barber Gain Changer.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

What amp? Home or ina band?

4. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Only play at home and use a vox da15 amp.

5. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I'd focus on these 3:
    Blues Driver
    OCD
    Catlinbread DLS III

6. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

I'm also wondering if maybe some better pickups would help but my clean tone doesn't sound too bad so maybe not..? ( I've been reading tips on how to achieve the srv tone and better pickups were mentioned).

7. Tony Max

Tony Max Member

Hey man check out the mojohand Rook Royale. I just got this pedal and I absolutely love it. it two pedals in one. one side is the overdrive and the other is the boost. the pedal gives you the option to pick which of the two goes first in the signal path which is DOPE! I use that for my rhythm and lead tones and I have a love pedal Amp11 (prymax version) that I run as my first gain stage. try them out what I love about them is that they work well with pretty much all amps. Some pedals go to crap when you plug into a vox but these pedals respond so well. try them good luck to you

8. Johnny2013

Johnny2013 Member

Get a better amp before more pedals. If youre only playing at home look at yamaha thr10 and thr10c. Also your pedals also are both mid humped pedals that cut lots of bass and treble - sound good in a band but not necessarily at home. The three pedals mentioned above all sound good at home too and are good calls, once you get a better amp.

9. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

Get a subscription to Guitar Techniques

10. Xian Forbes

Xian Forbes Member

Yup, a good quality amp is key. No use buying racing tires if you've not got the engine to really get the most out of them. And that does not mean volume necessarily. One of the funnest rigs I've had was a cheap old cabinet I put a used Jensen 15" in and my amp was an EHX 22 caliber. No pedals needed, just super fun and gritty and all that. Pedals are obviously important, but a good amp is more important.

11. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Better amp eh..i guess I just assumed that since the amp I have sounded pretty good clean that my drive pedals were the issue,not the amp...I've really got back into the guitar and have been spending quite a bit of time playing the last year.I've only been putting a pedal board together since the summer so I'm still trying to fine tune but the more I play,the more I want to improve my sound.i live in a basement suit and can't play too loud so I never really have the amp turned up.i just rely on the pedals....appreciate the advice..

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  12. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

If it sounds good to you clean, I'm not sure you are using the right tools for the job... I thought the SD1 and TS9 are good for boosting already cooking tube amps, not necessarily as THE source of overdrive.

Gain Changer should work great, or a BD2. SL Drive works pretty good on clean amps for the Marshall thing, I also like the Barber Direct Drive if you put it in front of another drive that's doing the edge of breakup thing.

13. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Ya..someone mentioned that to me not to long ago and that's been on my mind.so a bd-2 would be a better pedal?i ask because someone locally has one for sale pretty cheap and I was considering buying it but wasn't sure if there was something better suited to my needs..

14. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

solid state amps aren't bad. guy in my band has an one and he's running a BD2 into the drive channel. Ive got him using a marshall 212 cab to keep up with me and it sounds pretty decent.
    With the Vox, you've gotta check out a Crowther Hotcake. They match so well.
    I'd also check out a marshall guv'nor and MXR Distortion+ (more for rock than blues).
    For blues, i love the way a BD2 can be both OD and a touch fuzzy. The keeley and albums modded ones are great

15. Johnny2013

Johnny2013 Member

the bd-2 will indeed sound better at home as it doesn't cut bass and treble like your current pedals, and can be had for 50-ish dollars on the emporium (I just bought one myself despite embarrassing riches of drive pedals). I'd buy it, and then I would still look into a better amp. Pedals generally (though not always) work better with a tube amp, but the THR amps take them really well too, and you will be able to dial in a lot of nice overdriven sounds just with the knobs on that little toaster. If you were shooting for SRV I'd buy the THR10C, set it to the Deluxe setting, and use your TS9. And practice a lot. I would also look into a used Fender Pro Jr, can be had for 300-ish on the emporium, and sounds great with a BD-2 - real tube amp and would be loud enough to play with a drummer if you wanted, but would still sound good in the basement.

16. playthecray

playthecray Member

Upgrade your amp. There are a ton of nice low wattage tube amps available that are affordable. Start in the emporium and don't be afraid to buy used.

17. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well I've looked at your amp and agree that it's your problem. Every demo I watched it sounded horrid, even clean. Sorry.

The yamaha THR10 models would be a better investment of your $$$ if your really constrained to apartment low TV volume levels. It modeling is 2nd to none and those 2 little true stereo speakers sound amazing for something so small. True stereo effects are warm and swirly. Plus it has SW to tweak in depth on your computer, is also a USB in/out device plus a aux/mp3 input and can even run on batteries if needed. How they can make those 2 little 3" speakers sound so big is a marvel of modern science.

I almost get feeling that on your current amp the speaker is the biggest problem with it, maybe just upgrading it to a Emi 820h might help it. Nothing is more important than the speaker, not the guitar, not the pu nor the amp. If it sucks nothing else matters.

Even these demos don't really convey how good this little box sounds in person.

Amp by itself.

Here's a demo of it run clean with a few pedals in front including a TS.

18. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

That's a great vid..that guy sounds great..thanks for the effort to help..I didn't know Yamaha made those amps until now.im going to look into them...only thing is I play alot with a boss rc-2 looper so I may have issues since I would need to run effects into the looper then out to a clean amp..so maybe still buy another dirt pedal and a new amp.Or maybe the pedals I have now will be enough with the better amp....

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  19. Johnny2013

Johnny2013 Member

I think you'll be happy with it. I'm thinking about picking up a THR5 to complement my 10C

20. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Ya,that one video was impressive.my goal is to be able to have a bluesy srv strat sound and something similar to evh's 1984 sound..from what I've read and watched on the three models,the thr10 might be the right choice.