• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Whats OD's do you like best into a blackface Super Reverb?

pete100199

Silver Supporting Member
My favorites are the Cmatmods Butah for a low gain, jetter GSR for med gain/lead tones. Sometimes i stack 'em. Also like the reverend drivetrain (the black one). Just about every OD I have sounds good into the super as long as i'm pushing the amp a little...

hurleysurf

Right now I'm using a Fulltone '69, Ibanez TS10, and Zendrive. Good little palette of tones right there I think. Maybe add something for a little more distortion if you want. I'd like to try the Toneczar overdrive into one some day...

BluesHarp

I have a toneczar openhaus I have had for a few days and Im not sure its going on my board jus yet. Sounded great into a 1972 princeton reverb though.

I knew the klon would come up.. I need to buy another to try into my Fargen.

The jetter gsr IS awesome.. my fav so far. That and my bjfe ppf.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I use a Maxon OD-9, Zendrive, and Mosferatu with my Fender Bandmaster Reverb. I highly recommend a tubescreamer type pedal for the Super reverb.

johan

Zendrive w humbuckers
Klon w everything
LDO w singles
MOD w Humbuckers
Kar Krash w everything

I just love my Super Reverb so anything I put in front of it sounds phenomenal.

VintageKnob

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a 67 Super, with my R7, no pedals.

With single coils, currently a 3 single Suhr Pro1 w/ V54's:

As others have stated, many OD's sound good into a BF Super.

Here's what I've tried and what I like best:

- KOT v4
I liked it allot, but I liked my AM TS9's better for my needs
- AnalogMan TS9 / silver & TS9 Standard AM 808 mod
These and the Timmy are my favorites, the Super sounds great with a Strat straight in just cranked, but with the AM TS mods it sings, you can just surf the tone! Especially the 808/Silver mod.
- Timmy
KILLER, really nice, from subtle to the edge - top 3
- Zen Drive
great, nice big tone
- Keeley BD
didn't really care for it

I guess overall I liked the Analogman TS9's or the Timmy for the widest variety of tones. The KOT and Zen IMO are also great, just didn't quite fit me.

I like the tone of my Super just straight in, any OD I use has got to be subtle, the last thing I want to do is cover over the tone of my Super, it's freaking golden!

YMMV

- DStefani

BluesHarp

Yea, the timmy brought out some of the best clean to low gain tones.

That maxon OD-9 keeps coming up...hmmmm

elcidd

I always have my Nobels overdrive (first gen.) on when I play my '66 SR.
Great amps, I just wish they weren't so bulky to move around, lol.

My DRRI loves my Barbers, heavily infatuated with boss and others, but LOVES my barbers to the point of obsession...

then again my classic 30 loves my barbers

and my vox ad30vt loves my barbers....

my mycrocube loves my barbers...

SuperReverb2

Single coils:

Smoky Signal Tubeless EL-84M
G2D Cream Tone
Dano (Cool cat) Transparent OD

Humbuckers:

Smoky Signal Tubeless EL-34D
GasPedals DumBell

:)

BluesHarp

I had my name come up on the G2D creamtone last year and I past up on it. You dont hear much about this pedal anymore compared to a year ago. What do you like about it and how does it compare to other popular/similar pedals? Or.. what other pedals in the same vein did/have you tried before settling on this one?

Any clips? ;-)

I also LOVE me some SRV!

SuperReverb2

I had my name come up on the G2D creamtone last year and I past up on it. You dont hear much about this pedal anymore compared to a year ago. What do you like about it and how does it compare to other popular/similar pedals? Or.. what other pedals in the same vein did/have you tried before settling on this one?

Any clips? ;-)

I also LOVE me some SRV!
IMHO the Cream Tone is a "good" sounding light to medium OD pedal that holds it's own with most OD pedals in the $200.00 US price range. What you hear on the G2D web page (Strat clip through a Twin Reverb) is pretty much what you get with this pedal. I have the newer version that has the dip switch inside that allows you to take away a bit of the gain and add some bass if need be. (a request by the humbucker players I believe) Personally, I prefer the original (factory) setting. This is the second Cream Tone I've owned. My first was one of the original batches when this pedal first came out a number of years ago.
IMHO there are a few things about this pedal that one has to be careful about. One, even with the gain turned pretty much right down, this pedal seems to add a "thickness" to the notes. This sounds quite good for single note neck Strat soloing (ala the posted clip on the G2D web page), but tends to "muddy up" chords and the vaunted neck/middle postion on a Strat. (i.e. does NOT do a clean boost very well) Two. (in that light) I tend to keep the gain (neck pickup Strat) around 9:00 or so, because anything over that tends to make the pedal sound fizzy and grainy. Three. This pedal seems to be volume sensitive as well. It sounds pretty good at low to low/medium volumes, and then after that it starts to sound rather non amp like. Four. Slight mid boost. NOT like a Tubescreamer, but still there. Would have preferred no mid boost. Five. The tone. Seems a little old and indistinct to my ears. Great for one or two songs (solos) but after that, meh, moving on. Like I said, "good" sounding pedal for what it does, just not something I can play for a long time.

My personal favorite for single coils though my Super Reverb is hands down the Smoky Signal Tubeless EL-84M. Amazing tones. Amazing dynamics and harmonics. Does everything from a clean type boost to full on distortion. Incredible neck pickup blues tones.
At $450.00 US it's not everybody's cup-o-tea, but it's certainly raised the bar to a new level in my world. The Smoky Signal Tubeless EL-34D has done the same for humbuckers through my Super Reverb as well.

:)

funkycam

really depends how you are running it.
A super is one of those amps that you can gig fully clean or totally maxed.
Clean I really like the Mi Audio crunchbox. If the amp is dirty, anything that cuts a little bass & highs & bumps the mids.. eg TS etc etc

EXP

Supporting Member
Favorite OD through a BFSR? Mine would have to be my vintage TS-808 or Analogman KOT.

The thick meaty tone of the 808 compliments my stout sounding '68 AB763 Super (SS rectifier, EVM 10M's, GE 7581A tubes) the best out of all the OD's I've tried. The KOT has more transparency less grit; clearer but still gives me the same meaty punch I crave out of my super.

Trending Topics