• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What's on your workbench?

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
The Gibson inlays are throwing me more than the crazy color scheme or headstock for some reason.

Matt Novak

Random painted-by-a-tattoo-artist tele body from ebay + Chinese mongrelsonofabitch Jackson / Gibson neck = pure awesomeness.

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Oh, that's awesome. What will you do for a bridge pickup? Twang or shred?

As for my bench...
First, reassemble my Epi Dot Studio electronics, now that I've traced an intermittent grounding short. It'll be good to have it solid again, as it's a fantastic sounding guitar.

Next, swap pickups in the Schecter Strat, back to the Lace Alumitones that were probably its best overall sound.

Matt Novak

Oh, that's awesome. What will you do for a bridge pickup? Twang or shred?

As for my bench...
First, reassemble my Epi Dot Studio electronics, now that I've traced an intermittent grounding short. It'll be good to have it solid again, as it's a fantastic sounding guitar.

Next, swap pickups in the Schecter Strat, back to the Lace Alumitones that were probably its best overall sound.
I'm thinking a splitable hotrail, no neck pup and a Wilkinson 1/2 plate bridge.. maybe a stacked pot vol / tone knob and thats it..

I'm intrigued about the alumitones, how do they sound? They certainly look cool... in fact I'll see if they do a tele bridge pickup :)

kludge

The droid you're looking for
The Wilkinson half-plate bridge is excellent. I use one myself, in top-loading mode. I like what the top loading does for the feel. You should look at various Esquire wiring schemes and see if you can adapt a splittable Hot Rail to that concept! You could get three sounds that way. Series/parallel/eq'd would be cool.

I like the Alumitones a lot. This particular guitar (Dallas-era Schecter) has been a pickup test bed since forever, or maybe I've just never said "That's it". Always some variation of two humbuckers. Of all the things I've tried, the two combos that stood out were a pair of Alumitones, and a combination of Dimarzio PAF Joe bridge and Harmonic Design Z90 neck.

The Alumitones are very clean, almost clinical. Not PAF-like. More like a broadband single coil sound, like a Jazzmaster or something. This isn't to say they're cold or dull - they're actually very lively. But they're very attentive to your playing. You steer them rather than aim them, if that makes sense. I like that in a pickup, but not everyone does. Definitely worth trying if you value precision.

The guitar the Alumitones will go back in is usually used in a prog band where I play a lot of ambiance - pillows of delay and reverb, feedback, volume pedal work, abstract lead and textures. It's great there, not so great in a more traditional tonal environment. I've also had the Alumitones in my Epi Dot Studio briefly, and they didn't work there at all. That guitar likes regular PAFs.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
On my workbench: 8 pair snake w/ AC, cable order for 22 cables (27 feet total) and one for 17 cables (EA Melody-12 feet total), a GigRig 14 pedalboard build, 4 pedalboard orders and I'm trying to redo my small board as well as finish a Tele project.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
A tele and strat body that will go under the blade like so:

I'm waiting for a call from the drummer to find out if this weekend is good for doing the surgery. He has all the woodworking equipment to do it.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
UPDATE:
Ray (the drummer) cutting the Tele side

Now the Strat side:

Dry fit to check the neck spacing and angle

The glue-up

On the scale. Drumroll please....

The raw double body is a surprising 3lb 14 oz. Geez, what kind of wood is this?

Bob Pollock

Altes Holz
Gold Supporting Member
In the last month:
Strat, pickup swap + superswitch with Suhr style wiring.
Epi EB1, headstock overlay repair from a botched tuner swap + repairing pulled out bridge anchors.
Fender acoustic, fret level crown and polish.
Gretsch Pro Jet, wiring/switch repair.
Epi LP, tuner upgrade + fret level, crown and polish.
Boss DM-2, repair rate pot wiring + mod for standard 9v PS
Dunlop Fuzzface, wiring repair.

My bench is cleared off now, hope it stays empty for a bit.
I do this in my spare time. I have a day job, and play in 2 bands.

OlAndrew

Fret level, crown and polish on my Blueshawk, then maybe a pair of Mean 90s in the Matsumoku.

OlAndrew

Bruno Conqueror. This is an old pic. The thing had had a number of pickup changes before I got it...there's lots of sets of holes under those pickup rings, and a very bad fret job.

Gotta redo the frets one if these days. Been too busy part of the time and too lazy the rest.

It's got a really nice natural tone to the body, and that vibrato works really well. I've got a different bridge on it now, with a wooden foot and a Gibson style with metal saddles riding on it.

THe whole tailpiece is on a hinge, and the vibrato arm moves it, unlike a Bigsby with the roller string mount.

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
3 F-style personal projects that I can't seem to get to because I have 'paying' work in front of them!

But, found time to clean/lube 54 years of bindy-pingy nut slots on my ES-175. Smooth like silk now...

Found a frozen saddle adjustment screw on a Blackguard. Fixin' that...

Plans to build a VOX AC30 combo cab...

Abandonded plan to build one cabinet to mount 4 amps into, with slide out access, cooling, shielding, switching, and a 112. Too busy. Very complex...

Customer's Epiphone 335 - complete fret dress, new bone nut, tuners, full elex swap out (RS/Fralin PAFs, RS 500K, PIOs)...

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom