Whats out there equal to Gibson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jay66, Jul 19, 2006.

1. jay66

jay66 Member

After all I have been hearing about Gibsons poor build quality lately I was wondering what American guitars are out there equal to or better than Gibson these days besides the obvious PRS, Fender, Rickenbacker. I have always wanted a Gibson but lately I have been thinking my money might be better spent elsewhere.

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

You mean, mass produced instruments? Not many.

A quick visit to the Small Company forum will be a real eye opener though :)

3. jay66

jay66 Member

Not nessicerily mass produced. I'm talking solid body around $2000 or less.

4. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

If resale is not an issue, there are lots of quality builders out there.
    Sometimes you can take a bath on the sale of a lesser name guitar.
    I'm happy with my Gibson's, they are older though. The newer one I have is a '99 R9 LP, no quality issues for me.
    I'd look for myself before deciding on quality.

5. jay66

jay66 Member

Iv'e looked at a few les pauls one of them had visable sawdust under the finnish another had a flame maple top that didn't look like the flameing was lined up. The third one was ok but I didn't have time to sit down and play it. Lately I have been eyeing the Carvins an Suhrs.

6. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

if you wanna shell out the dough, and hafta have a gibby, go with a CS one...less quality issues from the custom shop IMO.

7. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Don't forget Hamer.

Lots of good guitar makers out there in your price range.

The catch is to find a store with a new or used one in stock or you can place your order and get on the waiting list. Some of the better small makers have delivery times of up to two years. Which is one of the reasons I've been willing to go with Gibson or PRS stuff more than not.

Good Luck

:)

8. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

Best bang for the buck is Heritage.

9. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

The days of $2000 guitars that are hand made in the USA are LONG gone. Even mass produced import guitars are nearing that mark nowadays.

That said, there are a lot of very nice Asian made guitars that can be had for well under 2k. Also the used market is the place for bargains.

One option is Heritage, very good quality and undervalued. The Hamers are usually a good choice but getting pricey because people are "discovering" them.

10. whitehall

whitehall Member

The Gibson backlash is mostly just the rants of the poor. Now that there's 20 of them hanging in every GC across the country. If you parked a Mercedes in every Walmart the web would be awash with people complaining about them too. The biggest thing is this : Nitro is nitro, and poly is poly.

11. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

HAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Buy one, thank me later!!!

12. tone4days

tone4days Member

yup - hamer and heritage belong on that list

13. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

The first thing that came to mind was hamer. They make nice guitars. I am also fond of heritage but if you want a guitar that is hand built for around 2000 I know of only one place to get one.

take a look at www.gaugeguitars.com and pay close attention to the price list. I know a single cutaway carved top guitar with all the standard options (which includes the flame maple top) is about 2400.

some guys on this forum make great guitars and they don't cost as much as a CS gibson

14. Roosevelt

Roosevelt Member

I think the Ernie Ball Musicman guitars might be the best in quality. Every one I have ever played has been flawless.

15. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Rumors of poor Gibson quality are greatly exaggerated. I've owned a lot of Gibson and they've all been excellent. Besides Gibson, PRS and G&L make excellent guitars.

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Don't know about Suhr, but the two Carvins I had were huge disappointments. Not even close to the Gibsons.

17. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

Gibson Historics from the Custom Shop are some of the best electric guitars out there.

I would have to disagree that Gibson's quality isn't very good.

18. MOJO

MOJO Member

19. Bill McDowell

Bill McDowell Gold Supporting Member

I bought a Gibson hollowbody and took it home (after all, my first electric was a 79 Gibson LP Artisan which I still have). I noticed the fretboard wood was not centered on the neck, the tuners didn't work properly, and I had hardware rattles going on.

So I returned it, and bought a PRS hollowbody 2 w/ piezo - love it, perfect craftsmanship, great sounding and playing instrument.

Good luck on your quest

20. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I've had 4 Gibson Custom Shop guitars and every one was exceptional; first rate build quality, tone, materials, and playability.