What's some good overdrive pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by megaman254, Feb 20, 2012.

1. megaman254

megaman254 Member

I'm fairly new to guitar (Year and a half), gotta start building a pedal board soon. So I was wondering if anyone could tell suggest some good overdrive pedals, that can work with about any style of music?

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

That is too broad of a question to be helpful to you I think.

Overwhelmingly the answers will be a Timmy for a preamp-like overdrive that would take away from your core tone, and a TS9 for midrange cut through.

If you want more specific suggestions, what gear do you have (guitar and amp) and what style music?

3. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

Just read through the first few pages of the stompbox section, you will get all the hot TGP overdrives. This topic has been covered to death.

Btw, welcome to TGP! :aok

4. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

OP, if you want quick and easy, just put together $80-100 and get either a used Fulltone OCD or a used Fulldrive 2 and you're all done. I'm serious.

5. megaman254

megaman254 Member

Currently I have a Fender Squire, I'm getting a Epiphone Les Paul studio soon. And a VOX VT80+ that has alot of effects on the amp it self, but so i can switch between things I need some pedals. I play on my local Worship Team, manly playing like Hillsong United kinda stuff.

6. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

They do make a footswitch for the valvetonix series that would let you switch between saved presets, however, pedals are a lot of fun to use.

7. megaman254

megaman254 Member

Yeah I got the footswitch I love it!

8. JRBain

JRBain Member

This issue is comically overstated.

Just get something that sounds good to you that will give you enough saturation and enough volume. If you need something that will cut through, get a Tubescreamer or derivative.

But don't go for anything expensive with that amp. It will be a waste of your money. A Boss OD-3 would be a good choice.

9. megaman254

megaman254 Member

Ha, Cool man, thanks

10. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

Depending on your budget, the Visual Sound Drivetrain is a great Tubescreamer style OD that is awesome and very inexpensive. Also check out some of the Barber OD's like the Direct Drive, which would stack very well with a TS style OD to give a couple good gain stages. Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive is also a great OD for the P&W style.

Since you're new I would suggest going for something low gain, the tendency is to push too much gain and you end up sounding thin and get overcome in the mix. Another suggestion would be to get a tube amp, something less than 20 watts, if you like the vox I would check out an AC15 or the "train" amps, Bugera V5 and V22 are a couple good sounding tube amps that won't break the bank. The reason I suggest this is because a good overdrive won't react the same to your solid state amp as it will with a tube amp. You can spend thousands of dollars on pedals but if your base tone (guitar and amp) aren't solid than the pedals won't sound as good.

11. megaman254

megaman254 Member

Cool, Yeah I like just got my VOX VT80+ (My first tube amp) it's max is 120 watts, it has all the preset amps on it, including the AC15 and AC30, I love it. I've been looking at the Voodoo, my worship leader has one, he let me use it, that thing was pretty sick! Good point about the base tones. Thanks!

12. empressTIM

empressTIM Member

There are so many options, complicated by different setups and ears...check out the P&W gear threads to give you a feel for what some good ones are, and then let your ears be your guide.

It's hard because it's all so subjective. I play P&W too, with humbuckers through a Vox...but a PRS and a Night Train...so even if something works well for me, it might not scratch the itch in your ear. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions...

13. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

While there ar too many pedals to list, an old original Ibanez TS-808 or the new Ibanez TS-808 HW are without a match IMO.
    Rene

14. megaman254

megaman254 Member

Cool thanks! I'll def. look into it.

15. SG_Growler

SG_Growler Member

A lot of people have said the Ibanez Tube Screamer. I don't care for it personally.
    I prefer the Boss Bluesdriver Overdrive pedal. But your tastes could go in either direction. Do what I do and use YouTube for a tone comparison to do research.

16. megaman254

megaman254 Member

Yeah man that's what I've been doing for the past 3 hours lol I'm thinking about the Voodoo Sparkle Drive, FullTone OCD, the Boss OD-3, or Crowther Hot Cake...

17. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Hey, by your current gear, you might end up spending more on pedals than your amp & guitars! I suggest saving up for a respectable amp and the pedals can wait!

Something like a used Vox AC15C1 would be a good starter ($375 used?). Throw in a Timmy or a Tim, and a delay pedal and you're good to go!

18. megaman254

megaman254 Member

Cool man Thanks! Also I hear the easiest way to get a Timmy is to call Paul right?

19. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

If you're digging your amp then great, but if I were you I would check out an amp that has tubes in the power amp section as well as the preamp section. I don't know a lot about your amp, but the tube they use in the preamp section is kind of a gimmick to put the word "tube" on the ads and specs. I'm sorry to sound like a gear snob, but I wish someone would have filled me in on the difference between solid state amps and all tube amps when I was first starting out. I wasted so much money buying amps looking for the right amp and the right tone until somebody told me "Tubes man, it's all about the tubes". When you go from playing out of a bunch of different SS amps and then you plug into that tube amp for the first time, it's like the heavens shining down on you and the birds start singing and you say to yourself, "WOW!". I can still remember turning my amp on and actually smelling the tubes as they warmed up everytime and just smiling. I'm not saying you can't get good sounds out of a SS amp, but for the vast majority of guitar players, the sound you're looking for has the tube amp as it's base tone. And you don't have to get anything fancy, I bought a Bugera V5 (all tube, 5 watts, 8" speaker) to use at home (because it has a headphone out) for like $125 and it blows every solid state amp I've ever played out of the water. Just my 2 cents.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about anything. Also, check out www.guitarforworship.com , he's got some great articles on tone, everything from guitars, speaker cabinets, tubes, cables, effects, it's a plethora of knowledge just waiting for you (don't let his pedalboard scare you though).

20. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Almost anything except Line 6 and Boss :bonk