What's some good speaker wire for a cab?

dB

What's some good speaker wire for a cab? Doesn't have to be the best, boutique flavor of the month type stuff, but just something good. I just received an Avatar 2x12 and the speaker wire is the same stuff I used to wire my stereo with back in high school. It seems a little cheap.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
What's some good speaker wire for a cab? Doesn't have to be the best, boutique flavor of the month type stuff, but just something good. I just received an Avatar 2x12 and the speaker wire is the same stuff I used to wire my stereo with back in high school. It seems a little cheap.
That may be, but there's nothing wrong with it, and you won't hear any difference by changing it.

FJTurner

I just use Radio Shack speaker wire. I read that one cable maker recommended solid copper wire and sugested 14 or 16 gauge romex.

rastaman

I just use Radio Shack speaker wire. I read that one cable maker recommended solid copper wire and sugested 14 or 16 gauge romex.

I was always under the impression the signal flows on the outside of a strand, so the more strands - the more signal.

zoooombiex

I read that one cable maker recommended solid copper wire and sugested 14 or 16 gauge romex.
That's what Two-Rock uses in its cabs. I've read varying things on the skin effect, but regardless, those cabs sound very nice and it's easy cable to work with too.

bosstone

If you use what is commonly referred to as romex, you are bound to have trouble eventually. It uses a cheap grade of impure copper that will work harden and eventually crack with much vibration and movement. Lamp cord is an infinitely better choice.

Blue Fin

Just go with a standard heavy gauge speaker wire . Don't waste money on some kind of "Super" wire.

alivegy

The signal from the amp is strong and the length of wire is very short, it doesn't take anything fancy.

Johnson

I think I am going to try to wire my Orange Cab (4x12 v30) with Van Den Hul speaker wire. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Trending Topics