• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What’s some of your favorite 80’s Pop Guitar playing?

scienceguy

Gold Supporting Member
I didn't know Luke did that solo, no wonder why I've always loved it.

There's um, quite a big difference between the 80's and now, as far as widespread great guitar work in popular music, eh?
There's a difference, all right. No wonder the jukebox in my brain stops in the early 1990s.

Luke apparently did all the guitar and bass work on Talk To Ya Later. There's a 3-4 measure part in the song that's repeated in Toto's Home of the Brave. Same key even!

Not hard to find Luke on early 80s records... Here's another with very similar tones to Talk To Ya Later:

dreamspace

I see both Allan Murphy and Steve Farris mentioned here - those were probably my favorites.

Brett Garsed was (still is!) fantastic in 80's pop context.

Mudder

Two bands I forgot to mention earlier are Huey Lewis and the News and Night Ranger. I heard I Wanna New Drug on the radio today and it turned on a light. Songs like Don't Tell Me You Love Me can always be playing imho.

Big fan of The Church during this time period. Actually, from their first LP through Gold Afternoon Fix, which I believe was the album after this one. Kinda lost track of them after that as they seemed to get more atmospheric, if you will. Lots of great songs with understated playing on those albums. I’d rather listen to tasty playing like this than any of the high speed fingerboard gymnastics out there.

JeffK

Big fan of The Church during this time period. Actually, from their first LP through Gold Afternoon Fix, which I believe was the album after this one. Kinda lost track of them after that as they seemed to get more atmospheric, if you will. Lots of great songs with understated playing on those albums. I’d rather listen to tasty playing like this than any of the high speed fingerboard gymnastics out there.
I would recommend Priest=Aura as a next step, if your interested in exploring their catalog further. Also, Uninvited Like The Clouds.

Moxsam

This entire thread is just the daily play list from the local radio station. So sick of this stuff.

This entire thread is just the daily play list from the local radio station. So sick of this stuff.
You must have a pretty decent local station then ;) Most of this stuff never gets played around here. But, I do understand your feelings. Our local station plays the same playlist over and over and over. With soooo many songs out there to choose from, why limit your playlist to 100 songs (or whatever it is)?

Davepitt11

I’m not positive now that you’re asking. I alway associated the more interesting parts with Clark. I’m quite certain Mutt did a lot of arranging, but I really have no idea about the writing?

I loved Pyromania as a kid...but by the time Hysteria came around I was into classic rock and metal and starting to find punk and New Wave, but aside from Pour Some Sugar on me, that album was undeniable to my snobbier side...but I never followed them closely enough to know for sure I guess. Always thought it was Clark doing the heavy lifting.

Enlighten me?
Clark was the "riff" guy who wrote most of the music. Collen did leads.

At least that's how I remember it.

Trending Topics