What's that guitar in Krauss/Plant band?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by tfire, May 16, 2008.

1. tfire

tfire Member

Can anyone please identify this guitar?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It can be seen in this YouTube video.

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Don't know the guitar, but those look like Carvin pickups?

-Austin

3. Guitarpentry

Guitarpentry Member

That's not a guitar, it's a mandolin! :Spank The guy is just really, really small.
    Seriously, though, looks like a nice gtr!

4. countandduke

countandduke Member

I saw them on t.v. and they played some great versions of Zeppelin tunes...

Chris

5. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Who is in this band? I just bought tickets for mempho this summer...:drink

6. countandduke

countandduke Member

Allison Krauss and Robert Plant....:D

Not sure other than that but it should be one sweet show.

Allison Krauss tells the story that when Robert Plant called her for the first time, she had to be all low key and quiet cause her baby just fell asleep, so she's like, "Hey....uhmm, can you call back?" Funny story...

Chris

7. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Kinda reminds me of a Pawar, but the lower cutaway is too sharp. Interesting guitar!

8. jcground

jcground Member

The guitarists in the studio with Palmer and Krauss were Norman Blake and Marc Ribot. I've never seen Blake without a beard. The guy pictured doesn't look like him. He's also more known as an acoustic player. The player with the guitar pictured here might be Ribot, but I can't tell. His face is too blurry. It may also be somebody else.

Not sure about the guitar. I thought it might be an octave mandolin, but it looks like there are only six strings. I agree that they definitely look like Carvin pickups in it. Neat instrument, but sorry I couldn't be more help with the ID.

9. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Pretty sure that's not Marc Ribot.

10. jcground

jcground Member

Yeah, doesn't really look like Ribot either (at least, not like the pictures on his homepage). His homepage also sounds like he's not touring with Plant and Krauss. He's got lots of other gigs this year.

I'm intrigued by the guitar. It looks like a custom, judging from the scroll top and overall mandolin looks. It also looks hollow (or at least semi-hollow). Never seen a production guitar anything like that. It's definitely not a Pawar. They have a scroll, but they don't look like a mandolin at all to me. Sorry the pics are so blurry. The youtube video link is to a clip from Later with Jools Holland, which is filmed in hi-def. If you keep an eye out, you might see it on RaveTV or somewhere else that gives you a better look at the guitar.

11. GDking

GDking Member

She looks like she has the same attitude on stage when I see them too. Robert seems to be giving it a go and she is just kind of "there"

12. jcground

jcground Member

http://bandweblogs.com/blog/2008/05...lison-krauss-wow-critics-european-tour-dates/

In the YouTube video, Burnett is the one playing guitar on the right side of the screen. (I recognized him.) From doing a quick Google, I think the guy with the mandolin-like guitar is Stuart Duncan. Buddy Miller is the guy on the left wearing the hat.

Unfortunately, I can't find any info about Stuart Duncan's gear. He's a country musician with some solo albums available, and he's worked with a bunch of other notables.

13. jcground

jcground Member

I think you have to chalk that up to their personalities. Alison Krauss isn't a rock'n'roller, but I think she puts on a great show. She's one of the great voices of her generation in bluegrass, and she's also quite a good fiddle player. Since Plant is a big fan of roots music, it's not at all surprising that he'd be interested in working with her. I think the pair makes sense, and I'd love to see them live.

14. GDking

GDking Member

I agree she is great, and I have seen them live, but she comes across that way is all I am saying. On TV and in person.

15. raz

raz Member

Don't know who the other two are, but the blond guy is T-Bone Burnett, who produced the album. He probably owns all those guitars too.

I wanna be T-Bone Burnett when I grow up.

16. raz

raz Member

Oh, and Norman Blake isn't in that video.

17. dennyman

dennyman Member

it's Stuart Duncan. a great fiddle player (and a multi-instrumentalist). and it looks like a custom made 6-string instument...with palm pedals.

18. tfire

tfire Member

Can anybody locate Stuart Duncan's own web site, where his instruments might be described?

19. jcground

jcground Member

:agree I posted last week that I thought it was probably Stuart Duncan.

Here are some pictures of Duncan when he picked up a custom-made Gibson mandolin:
    http://www.gibson.com/whatsnew/pressrelease/2001/mar29a.html

Unfortunately, I'm not able to find any info on the guitar. I still think it's a custom. A call to George Gruhn (615 256-2033) might be able to narrow it down if you're really interested. Not saying they had anything to do with the instrument, but since he's a noted bluegrass and country session guy, they may know something about his gear, particularly if he has a custom mandolin-shaped guitar.

In addition to all of his session work, he was a member of the Nashville Bluegrass Band. He's a multiple Grammy winner. Here's his Wikipedia entry (which is very brief). The Nashville Bluegrass Band had a homepage too, but it looks like the links are dead.

20. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

Saw the Raising Sand tour last night at the Greek in Los Angeles. A surprise gift from my wife. Had 5th row dead center seats. Unbelievably tasty show with a good vantage point from a visual perspective for us.

Stuart Duncan had that mando-guitar thing out on a couple of tunes. Allison declared Stuart her all time favorite musician. She has worked among the best. Buddy Miller was particularly awesome, as was T Bone and the rest of the band. I did not recognize many of the electric guitars being used. One of them looked like a Dano baratone. I think Buddy Miller and T Bone both played that one at different times during the show.

If you do a google search for Buddy Miller, T Bone Burnett, or Stuart Duncan, you will discover a wealth of information.

In addition to the material on the Raising Sand disc, they did some other LZ tunes as well as "I'm In the Mood" from Plant's solo work. Plant appeared to be having a really great time. The fact that he can hang with this eclectic gang and actually be half of the centerpiece of the whole thing moved him up the totem pole a few notches in my book. It was just superb chemistry and I could have stayed in the lab all night if they had let me.