What's that PING!?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by proxy, Mar 5, 2015.

1. proxy

proxy Member

So, on some guitars more than others, I notice, I'll pick it up after a few days, and as I go to retune it, I hear a "ping" just as the string approaches proper pitch.

This happens only on the G and B strings.

I'm assuming it's a groove in the string that "sets in" at the proper tuning, and as you near that proper tension, it pops into place, producing that high pitched noise.

Is that right?

And is that happening at the nut or the saddles?

Any strategies to avoid this?

- J

2. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

rub some pencil lead in the string slot at the nut, it'll be the string sticking there

3. Schpyder

Schpyder Member

99 times out of 100 what you're referring to is the string binding up in the nut and then releasing tension as it breaks free and moves to a new location. Loosen the string and lift it out of the nut and then pencil in some graphite in the groove. That should lubricate the string/nut interface and prevent binding from happening for a while. Note that one of the main reasons people use graphite nuts is to avoid exactly this issue. Your tuning stability should come from your tuning machines, not your strings sticking in the nut.

4. proxy

proxy Member

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Most likely nut pinch...but, if the guitar has notched saddles, the string could also be getting caught on a sharp edge of the notch. Lubricating a nut is a temproary fix...best solution is a properly cut nut with polished slots so theres no pinch. With notched saddles, abrasive cord will remove any sharp edges that the string may catch on.

6. sliberty

sliberty Member

This is a common problem that can be caused by:

Messy nut slots (can be cleaned up with an appropriate file and the right technique)
    Nut slots meant for a lighter (thinner) string guage than the guage you are using

Usually, this can be addressed easily by a guitar tech in just a few minutes. But as a short term measure, nut lubricant can be a big help. Pencil lead, Big Bends Nut Sauce, and many others should work. In rare situations, a new nut might be needed, usually only if the slots are cut too deep already.

Even after repairing the nut, some lube is a good practice when you change strings, and before a gig (just to be sure).

7. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

lube your nuts!

8. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

The cause is a badly cut nut.

9. Fuimus Troes

Fuimus Troes Member

Get a bone nut, or an old-school nylon one like on 50's LP's.

10. ieso

ieso Member

Before adding lube to it scrub the slots out with a toothbrush and then dental floss then add lube

11. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

All that just for nut pinch?

This thread is making me queasy. :)

12. navin johnson

navin johnson Member

13. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

I have the same problem when I increase strings gauge: why they cut nuts so tight? Why don't they cut them for "medium" strings, so you have to modify your guitar only if you play at the extremes: 8's or 13's for instance...

I tried to lubricate the slots and it helps a bit, but you simply cannot put 12's in slots cutted for 9's...