what's the attraction of 2x12 combos?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, May 5, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I can't believe how many of them you see for sale. Why would anyone get a combo instead of a head/cab?

2. iamhammill

iamhammill Member

One thing to carry rather than two...

3. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I know a lot of guys here like the head/cab option becuase they're old and have a bad back, or they just prefer the portability of a head/cab. I personally prefer combos because I can still lift them, they're easier to store, and to me it's easier to have one package than two.

I don't want to insult anyone with my above comment, but I've head that from plenty of guys here.

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Yup. I gig a 1x12 combo, and have a backup head, in case a tube (or anything else) goes on the fritz...

5. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

6. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Not insulted at all, because I'm one of those old guys with a bad back and I would much rather carry a head and cab that each weigh substantially less than a 2x12 combo. Plus, I like having the option to mix-and-match different heads with different cabinet configurations.

7. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I've always liked the idea of a 2x12 in a roadcase (Matchless DC-30 immediately comes to mind). Pop the top off, mic a speaker, and you have a one-piece big-sounding amp ready to go. But they are heavy in most cases. And I like having the flexibility to mix and match heads and cabs. If I knew I were only going to have one amp, I'd probably prefer a 2x12 combo over anything else.

8. iamhammill

iamhammill Member

I would rather have the ability to swap different heads and combos too, but when you're cheap and young (no offensive to all you old dudes) a combo makes the most sense.

And on tour, there's no room for multiple heads and cabs. Combos worked best for me.

9. mude

mude Supporting Member

I have generally gigged with a 1x12 combo over the last couple of years. Generally, we try to keep the stage volume fairly low and everything has a mic on it anyhow. So, the sound out of the PA is going to be the same regardless of how many speakers (only one mic per amp for us). Also, I can probably turn the amp up a bit more with only 1x12 worth of air moving which let's me push the tubes a bit (when I am using tubes).

Prior to sending stuff through the PA, I would often haul a 2x12 combo or a head/cab. Frankly, the cabs I used were generally heavier than the 1x12 combos I have been using.

Evan.

10. Brien

Brien Member

They move twice as much air as a 1-12, and it's easier to carry than a head/cab. My Victorilux weighs about 50 lbs.-no big deal. I probably wouldn't want to be carrying around a DC30 though.

11. Peppy

Peppy Member

What about a 3 X 10" combo instead? Seriously, my Vibro-King or my AC30TBX just sound so good. Plus, amp in one hand, guitar in the other...less to move and watch out for.

12. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Im kind of a 1x12 combo guy. 2x12 to me is right on the verge of being easier to manhandle in piggyback form. Love them 1x12 combos though.

13. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I've never made it in one trip so the combo is kind of a waste for me. I always have to make several trips. Amp, cabs, stands, couple guitars, music, etc. I've always viewed combos as a lot of extra weight for little benefit. Many times I want to use the same amp with different cabs too. Just seems funny to me but everyone has different needs.

14. Julia343

Julia343 Member

How about that the 212 combo fits in my car?

And a 412 cab won't, and there is no way in hell I could move that up and down stairs. Why upstairs? Because there's a 6' grand in the living room and no room for guitar gear.

but a 212 combo AND a 212 cab will fit in the car. Combo in back seat. Cab in trunk w/ the pedal board (the small one).

And the 212 combo sounds good.

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I suppose it depends on what amp you're talking about, what wattage, weight etc.

One big reason I have a 2x12 combo, my favorite amp is not offered in a head and cab format. Only in a combo. With a lower wattage amp like my 20 watt, 2 EL84 amp it's perfect cause it's not too big and not too heavy.

On the other hand, the amps I like the cabs are bigger than my combo. I usually drive a sports car (go ahead laugh at the guitarist that drives a sports car around) and my combo fits perfectly in the trunk.

With this setup I have 3 things to carry to each gig. One guitar strapped to my back, one pedal board bag, one amp. A bigger cab and a separate head is just that much more to carry and set up. Besides, I like a combo.... cause it *SOUNDS like a COMBO*.

16. ndemattheis

ndemattheis Member

Most of the combos I have played have external speaker jacks, so I don't see how you lose the option to mix and match cabs if you want.

17. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I use all 1-12 combos and have many from 15 watts to 100. I've had the big rigs and 2-12" twins & tweeds in the past but nowadays you don't need more for venues when miking or volume rules in certain clubs and an easier haul.

18. GDking

GDking Member

As a guy with a good back, I like to keep it that way!

1x12 combos are not too bad. But 2x12 to me are a bit much.

I even use those plastic mackie PA speakers at gigs that are 30 pounds and the crown amps that are less than 20 and they do not sound bad at all considering the weight you save. I need anything more than that I am hiring a sound system anyhow.

19. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

PA systems are so good these days it seems pretty redundant to need the supersized cab and weight that goes along with the extra 12". When I hear Los Lobos or Franz Ferdinand or Santana or Beck, they don't sound small with their single 12-combos.

Interesting that Fender brought out the Hot Rod single-12 cab series--so when you get a big venue you can just add the cab. They must see this as a mass market movement to the same flexibility and cab customization that the boutique dudes have been into all along.

20. digital jams

digital jams Member

No way a 2x12 combo, those things weigh a ton and I would rather have a head with several cab options with different speakers.