What's the ball park on getting frets dressed and leveled or a total re-fret?

jcmark611

I need to get fret work done on my 2008 USA Strat, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for price wise. Maybe it's worth a total re-fret job if I can afford it.

majordanger

It would be cheaper to just get a new neck than do a full refret, dress, and setup. If you love the neck though, it will be hundreds.

sting7777

slinger of notes
I need to get fret work done on my 2008 USA Strat, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for price wise. Maybe it's worth a total re-fret job if I can afford it.

there's tons of variation out there depending on reputation and quality of work etc. but maybe 150 for level, crown, polish and twice that for a refret?

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I'm about to drop $200 on a partial refret (8 frets)/partial level and crown. Doesn't seem unreasonable for my $1800 acoustic guitar but I wonder if on a USA strat getting a new neck would be cheaper even if it needed some additional work.

Abram4235

Silver Supporting Member
I paid 80 bucks for a fret level, dress, and set up on my American special strat through a licensed Fender luthier. Came out great and plays like a dream.

qblue

I had a fret crown and level for about $60-70 at a GC who has a great repair tech, in-store, here in NE Pennsylvania, on my 2007 Baja Tele. The MIM is a good instrument, but those frets are soft. Now it's like butter again in playability.

ripgtr

Just Saturday I just had a fret level, and general clean up on a 15 year old h535 I just bought. One of the high frets was particularly high.
Paid $160. - Note, that is a bound fretboard, which is always more.

The guy who does my frets, his day job is building necks at Collings.
This is the 5th guitar he has done for me, the previous 4 were all full fret jobs, they ran about 250-280, something like that.
His work is amazing, best playing guitars I have every played, when he is done with them. 3 of those guitars are vintage, I had been waiting on doing frets til I found someone I like. I found someone I like.

Last edited:

ZeyerGTR

Local shop here in Orlando, which does fantastic work, charges about $100 for level & crown, $300 for a refret. Give or take... it's been a while since I've needed one.

jekylmeister

Raconteur Extraordinaire
Silver Supporting Member
I just had a vintage Gibson acoustic completely refretted, with new nut & strings for $425. Bound fretboard.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
Depends on who's doing it and what part of the country you are in. DO NOT just go for the "cheap guy". Do your research and get it done right. I've fixed lot of things done by the 'cheap guy' that amounted to charging money to mangle someone's guitar.

Dale

My last full refret on an Epi with a bound board, though no nibs, what $235 with fretwire. Nut was another $60. Included leveling. I had 2 done about he same time for the same cost. It is less than I expected. This was 3 years ago in SD with a professionally trained person. String Theory in SF, SD. I do not know if they are still there or not.

jekylmeister

Raconteur Extraordinaire
Silver Supporting Member
My last full refret on an Epi with a bound board, though no nibs, what $235 with fretwire. Nut was another $60. Included leveling. I had 2 done about he same time for the same cost. It is less than I expected. This was 3 years ago in SD with a professionally trained person. String Theory in SF, SD. I do not know if they are still there or not.
Mine had nibs, which I guess is bit more labor intensive to work around. He has worked on some pros guitars (Billy Gibbons), so even though I thought the $425 was slightly high, I thought he was probably qualified. He did very good work on it. Quick turn around, too.

Antmax

If it was a cheap budget guitar I'd recommend learning to do it yourself from youtube videos. If you decide to get a new neck, keep the old one, see if it's something you could practice on yourself if your at all handy.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
It would be cheaper to just get a new neck than do a full refret, dress, and setup. If you love the neck though, it will be hundreds.

That can be true, and in some situations it is cheaper to replace the neck, although all parts manufacturers note that you may need a fret level. If you don't have a personal attachment to that neck, it's something to consider.

My last fret level cost me $187, but the frets were in TERRIBLE shape. 20+ years of playing without ever having been touched, and this guitar saw LOTS of play time when I was younger.

I think normally it should be around $125 through this guy.

Tommy Biggs

Silver Supporting Member
In North Jersey a Fender full refret ( not stainless) was 375 two years ago. Totally worth it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom