What's the best all solid wood mini/travel guitar?

Simon & Patrick Woodland Parlor Pro

image.jpg

Last edited:

paddywhack

Gold Supporting Member
The best?.... hard to find anything nicer than a Santa Cruz Firefly. Yep I have one but I bought it used in mint condition a couple of years back for less than half of what a new one goes for now. Even when it was new back in 2010 it would have sold for more than I would have spent. Does it actually sound better than a good but way less expensive lil guy?.. yeah and it plays a lot nicer too. Whether or not it’s worth it to you is the question. I play mine a lot so it’s worth it to me to have a top shelf little guitar that’s on par with my 2 larger guitars.

There are other high dollar little guitars out there that are similar in overall quality. The thing is if you’re patient enough to wait for one to pop up you can buy it for way less than a new one. It’s not like many people are looking to spend that much on small guitars because they don’t reckon they’re going to play them on a regular basis....but some of us do so they are worth it. Btw...i find smaller guitars to be great for playing with other players. They bring a voice that can compliment larger bodied instruments.

Last edited:

csweldon

I’m loving my Maestro Temasek. It was used, so it was an absolute steal VS retail.

It’s small, easy to play, and it’s tone and volume are both more than I expected based on its size. Case is surprisingly nice, too!

Now I want a koa one…

CSB123

Best i dont know, suppose that’s very subjective.

When i was looking for similar, this made my shortlist, i opted away from solid wood after awhile, and went all laminate due to the huge humidity swings, where i personally travel. I know you specified this is not an option you want to explore for your use case. I just couldn’t bring myself to travel with any of my solid guitars.

Sheeran by Lowden S models - loved them for something different
Martin Jnr was right up there, and price was attractive.

The Taylor GS MINI in koa and hog, were my favorites Too.

Wings

Thanks, all. I went with the Martin 000-Jr-10, and I'm absolutely thrilled by it. I own guitars costing 50x that, and it is amazing value for money. It is definitely staying.

I also tried the Sheerans, and they were not my cup of tea. They were very heavy, with the very brushy Lowden tone without the refinement. The Martin Junior is loads better at 1/3-1/2 the price.

slooky

Best i dont know, suppose that’s very subjective.

Sheeran by Lowden S models - loved them for something different
Martin Jnr was right up there, and price was attractive.
Those Sheerans are way overpriced. Pretty sure they made them so little Johnny could afford them :rolleyes: Maybe little Johnny has rich parents? Or he sells a ton of Lemonade:D

Blue Bee

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, all. I went with the Martin 000-Jr-10, and I'm absolutely thrilled by it. I own guitars costing 50x that, and it is amazing value for money. It is definitely staying.

I also tried the Sheerans, and they were not my cup of tea. They were very heavy, with the very brushy Lowden tone without the refinement. The Martin Junior is loads better at 1/3-1/2 the price.
What’s the scale length and specs on the Martin you got?

Pure_Phase

I personally would avoid an all solid wood as a "travel" guitar. But when I think of travel guitar I think of taking the guitar into different climates, possibly having to leave it in a hot car, RV, van, airplane cargo hold, hotel room, leaving it outside potentially, camping with it, playing by a campfire and possibly having a cold night and warm or hot days, etc.

For those reasons I'd go with a cheap laminate guitar that would be better suited to handle the dramatic changes, or even go with a wood alternative.

zul

Gold Supporting Member
My go to camping guitar is the GS koa mini.
Full koa top with layered koa back and sides.
Extremely durable and portable, with great
bark and bite for a mutt this size. 23.5" scale.

Takes a beating with a smile. Strong tight
bass and full bodied fingerpicking, and gets
thumpier and brighter with my BC STP 50.
Projection from the bowl back is amazing.
After three years, koa top is maturing well.

A present from my wife for my birthday;
both are definitely keepers.

I understand your preference for all wood,
and congratulations on your find.

Turbo Gerbil

If you arn't wedded to US made the chinese made Alvarez Masterworks 12 fret slotheads are pretty sweet and all solid wood. Also the Alvarez Yairi PYM series parlors. Note that with Yairi a "M" in the model name ( PYM, CYM, FYM, etc) designates the master series which will be all solid woods.

edit - oops looks like you already got the Martin.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom