What's the best and/or the most amazing thing you just found?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Clifford-D, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

In 1978 I was taking a break from work. I was kicking leaves in the street/gutter when I happened to kick an envelope. I kept going but became compelled to go back and look at the envelope, so I did. I picked this dirty envelope to find $200. No name or any identification, and no cars around. $200 in '78 is like finding like $500 today, or more.

So the next day I treat my friends and girlfriend to a day in San Francisco. Being 20 in '78 our first line of biz was to buy some pot. This was easy in '78 SF. We went to Fisherman's Wharf and it didn't take but one block before someone whispered "hash". So we made the connection. This is where it gets interesting, I went with this person down an alley that had a brick building on one side and a parking lot on the other side. The person just broke a chunk of hash on the sidewalk, I gave them $5 and we parted ways. I went back to my friends and told them this person left half as much hash on the side walk as they gave me. So I went back to get it. I was thinking how we needed a pipe and about twenty feet from the hash, a pipe hit the ground directly two feet in front of me. I spun around looking for who tossed the pipe and there was no one, zero. The pipe just came out of the air. It was spooky, but I grabbed it and the hash and got heck out of there.

I think there must have been someone in the paid parking lot that had to toss their pipe. It seems like the most logical explanation. As it turns out the hash was garbage, just ground leaves compressed together. But the pipe I kept for years till it fell apart.

To tell you two days later on break from work, as I'm brushing my hand on a trimmed hedge, out falls a pure silver baby spoon that quickly became part of my girlfriend's collection of baby spoons with country names on them, this was a spoon she didn't have, it had a country Nam on it.

That three day period of finding stuff was unlike anything I had and have experienced since.

weekend hippie likes this.
  2. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

I was replacing the carpet on a Chevy pickup that I'd bought from a used car dealer about 5 years prior and when I pulled up the carpet on the passenger side, there on the floor were 10 neatly folded in half $100 bills. Have no idea how they got there but nice score for me!

Clifford-D likes this.
  3. eddie famine

eddie famine Member

Sitting on my front lawn as a kid, waiting for a friend to come over...picking the blades of grass when I found an 1876 20 cent coin. Not in the greatest shape, or that valuable I find out, but how did a US 20 cent piece get on my front lawn? When my friends came over we checked the whole lawn all over, didn't find anything else.

bushitsuki likes this.
  4. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

a) as a 4 year old kid (er, 1962-ish) , I was with my dad when he found a 14 inch diameter green glass float wedged in the rocks 30-40 feet above the high tide line on the Oregon Coast. This was just after the Columbus Day storm, and the tidal surge was massive that day. How that thing survived being tossed up on the rocks and the 200+ mph winds in that area is beyond me.

b) during the first two years in our place here, I found some really cool old tractor parts near the bottom of a steep slope on my property.
    Carriage-type headlamps, ornate gas cap, arms to a primitive 3-point-type hitch...
    Then I found out someone had been killed in a rollover tractor accident about 20 years prior.
    ooof.

c) I've run into quite a bit of 1910-era logging gear (cables, huge pulley/winch systems) out while chanterelle mushroom hunting.
    All WAY too big to bring home. You'd need a 10 ton lift for some of that stuff.

d) this pic:
    Found it just today.
    So grande, on so many levels.

[​IMG]

derekd likes this.
  5. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

in 1984, I was deer hunting in north central Oklahoma, second weekend in November. I had been watching a creek bottom that did a snakey winding with wheat fields that went back into the various little fingers created by the winding creek bottom. I got to a spot where I could watch small field areas on both sides of the creek well before sunrise and got comfortable. I was sitting there as it got light and some brush and weeds were kind of blocking my view so I reached over and snapped one off and suddenly smelled Ganja. I was sitting in the middle of 22 good sized marijuana plants, well budded out and turning purple form the lack of sunlight and colder weather that had not been cold enough to totally kill them off.
    I took my knive, hacked down the biggest one and started cutting limbs off all the other smaller plants and piled them on it. I took a small 8x10 camo rain tarp I had in my pack and wrapped up the bundle and secured it with a piece of rope and took off across a half mile wide open wheat field to the oil lease road I had parked my pickup on. I about had a heart attack from dragging the heavy load and paranoia. As soon as I got back to my pickup I cut up and consolidated the load as much as I could, got it into the back of my pickup popup camper and threw sleeping bag and another tarp over it. I had just closed the camper up when a white pickup turned into the lease I was parked on. I was so scared I had been caught, but it was two old men and a kid with orange on and as they got even with where I was standing, they asked if I had seen any deer. I told them I had flushed some does out earlier and they headed north following the creek path and they just whipped that truck around and took off. I got in the truck and drove back country roads all the 100+ miles back to Tulsa where I lived at the time. I called my wife from a gas station and told her to contact a couple of trusted friends and tell them to bring lots of zip lock bags and scissors over to the house. When I got home, we spent about 8 hours getting it all trimmed and curing. Ended up with 8 1/2 pounds of nice buds, another couple of pounds of smaller buds and trim.
    I found out later, that there was a guy who got shot by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol when they tried to serve a warrant on him and he shot at a cop. This patch was about a mile and a half downstream of where he lived, so I am supposing it was his crop and he was not in any position to come and get it, so I scored without bad kharma, always a win.
    It came at a really great time for us, my wife had been unable to work from an inner ear problem and I was only making base wages and not enough hours part time. Plus the folks who helped us trim it, sold every bit of it for us, we did not have to deal with anyone and they gave us a great price too.
    That money paid the bills for a couple of months for us.

6. RedRock

RedRock Member

7. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

8. LPBlue

LPBlue Member

I once took a suit I had not worn in a long time out while arranging a closet and found two $50s in a jacket pocket...must have been a great party to forget that!

A-Bone likes this.
  9. headpond

headpond Member

I found an OP 80 under the food display I was working on recently. I almost broke a tooth trying to bite it in half.

10. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

I found all the music gear that had been stolen from our band's practice space. :D

This was ~35 years ago, when I was still in high school. Came to band practice one afternoon after school and found the lock to our practice space cut off and all of our gear stolen -- they might have left the drums, but all of the amps, guitars, mixer, speakers, etc. were gone.

We were pretty despondent. Hoping to recover some money from my folks' homeowner's insurance policy, I went to a music store a few towns over to get some "official" prices, and I about fell over when I saw all of our gear in a pile near the back of their store. Apparently someone who was a "friend of a friend" of the store owner had come in with it earlier that day looking to sell it because, "the band that used to rent space from me skipped town without paying their rent, and this was what they left behind."

I told the owner that the gear was actually ours, that it had been stolen from us, and that we had filed a police report. He believed me once I began describing each piece of gear inside of the various cases, but he wouldn't release the gear to me until he confirmed it with the local cops and I brought in a copy of the police report. Being 17, we elected not to press charges against the person who tried to sell the gear as we were told our gear would have been impounded until it could be used as evidence in this person's eventual trial. To be honest, we were just happy to get our gear back; that alone was a lot more than any of us expected.

dsmc80 likes this.
  11. ChurchChong

ChurchChong Member

When I was about 11, my friend and I were playing around in the woods around Lake Arrowhead (Cedar Glen to be exact) and we saw part of something metal in the ground. We dug it up and it was a very old unexploded artillery shell. It was pretty heavy so we rolled it down the hill to his house (doh). His mom called the cops and they told everyone to stay away from it and they had the bomb squad deal with it.

12. loudboy

loudboy Member

A 1930-40s Era Rolex Oyster, laying in the snow at my bus stop when I was in 5th grade. Took it to the cops, who kept it for 30 days, then gave it back to me.

I wore it until I was almost out of college, when we were tearing down after a gig and my best friend smacked it with a mic stand, which killed it.

I threw it in a drawer, and then sold it in about 1985 to a place that had an ad in a paper, for $400.

13. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

About 20 years ago, at the end of the day at work, I was counting the drawer out for the day and noticed a funny looking one dollar bill in the stack. Initially I thought it might be a counterfeit bill, but upon closer examination, it turned out to be a 1957 silver certificate, in very good condition. I took a dollar out of my wallet and traded. I'd never seen one before or since in circulation. They're not really worth much more than the one dollar that they are, but they are pretty hard to find.

14. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

man, i ain't ever found sh!t

15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Easy in '78 SF? Has there ever been a time when it wasn't easy to score in SF?

Tonekat likes this.
  16. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Perhaps, but normally those scores don't come with a pipe that falls from the sky.

17. burner

burner Member

Ugh.
    I just don't like this for a couple of reasons...
    One of them is that you were standing in prime deer bait.
    I'm sure you can guess the other...

18. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Does anyone remember those little plastic NFL helmets that you could buy from something like a bubble gum machine? 2 quarters, and hope for a different helmet that you didn't have yet.

I was walking out of the barber shop at about age 12 and I swear out of nowhere one of those little plastic bubbles landed right in front of me, and it had a New Orleans Saints helmet, the only one I needed to finish my collection.

19. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

I was walking through Vail village when I was in my 20's, at night, and there on the ground in front of me was an 8-ball of coke, wrapped in one of those seal wrappers.

Baxtercat likes this.
  20. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

Don't be a hater, we gave some of the good stuff to charity for those less fortunate if that helps you feel any better about it.....

Flying_V1968 likes this.