1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What's the best cab for my new Glaswerks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Miles Long, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

I should take delivery of my head soon and don't have a cab. What cab and speakers would y'all think would do me justice? What's the best "flavor of the month" speakers for the "D" style circuit? I've heard good things about the Scumback speakers. I am one of the few that aren't chasing Robben tones. I play in more of a rock/jamband context, a little hair is a good thing... :p Thanks in advance..

2. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Miles I am in the same boat as you (not looking for Ford tones)and I am using an avatar 1x12 with a Wizard in it for my fuchs ODS20. Some people say that the Wizard has cone cry. I am really digging it with both my ODS and my Dr. Z 6545 and haven't noticed any cone cry. If there is cone cry I guess I don't mind it.

BTW I had a Hellatone 60 in the cab and it made the Fuchs sound terrible.

Scottl really likes the Red, White, and Blues for the Ford tones. I'm sure he will jump in here since he has a Glaswerks.

3. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thanks, I'll check the Wizard out. Scott says the Scumback sound good as well. We'll see. I'm thinking the cab would be a semi-open back for a little more oomph.

4. Jimmydeez

My Avatar has the oval opening in the back.

The Glaswerks should sound great with the 'doc. Chalkdust from "A live One" just came on my Ipod.... man I love that solo. Is that the kinda thing your going for?

5. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

That is one of my favorites! Trey is much underated 'round here. Actually I love his tone and all but I'm looking for more of a liquid lead sound. I can get damn close to Trey's tone but now I'm looking for my own signature sound. The Glaswerks should be the end all be all. I always say that though, lol. :crazy

6. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

If you're up for another get together I have a Two Rock 1-12 ext cab with the TR 12-65 that I've been running with my TR Emerald 50 1x12 combo that I recently aquired. It has the ported back.

Joe

7. Jimmydeez

It's nice to see some more philly area guys on TGP:D

8. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

That sounds awesome! I'll get back to ya! The Glaswerks smokes! How are you liking the Two Rock?

9. glaswerks

glaswerks Gold Supporting Member

My personal favorites with these amps and 1x12 are :

Celestion Classic Lead 80
    Eminence Red White and Blues
    Eminence Wizard (if you get a good one).
    Electrovoice EVM-12L

I have a couple of the new G12-65's here but have not had a chance to test them. They will probably go in a 2x12 cabinet in the next couple of weeks.

Gary

PS> Marc I tried calling yesterday but no asnwer. I will try again later today.

10. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Thanks, I try to keep track of who is local.

Do you use a head switcher with the Fuchs & Z or just one at a time?

11. Jimmydeez

I just got a Radial Headbone about a month ago. I use the Z for clean and dirty rhythm and the Fuchs for my lead tone. It has really given me some great options when playing with my band.

12. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

The Glaswerks should be landing soon, I'm thinking Scumbacks or Cannabis Rex.I'm not sure on what cab configuration. I'd like a smaller 212 with maybe a semi open back. Mind you I play jammy prog stuff and rock. Any opinions would be great.

13. les

les Gold Supporting Member

I just put in my new Scumback last night with my Glaswerks 50. I am really liking the sound.

14. glaswerks

Let me know how it works out Les. Did you throw it in the Glaswerks 1x12?

Gary

15. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

This thread is worthless without clips! :D

16. les

les Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I replaced the RW & B with the Scumback. Sounds great... I only had a chance to play at very low volumes... I know more next week after rehearsal.

17. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Try the Wizard with the neck pickup, in OD mode, full volume, playing on the upper frets, ie: 12th fret and above, on the G/B/E strings. That's where the cone cry is worst, if you've got. And trust me, if you hear it, you won't like it.

18. glaswerks

Absolutely correct. Actually you can hear the cry even in clean modes. Kinda sounds like a duck quack....

12th, 14th and 15th frets are the worse locations. Worse case situation is a 1x12, Things get a bit better in 2x12 and 4x12 steups.

Gary

19. aeolian

aeolian Member

Bruce Zinky makes some really nice small 2-12's. I have the prototype of a convertible closed back/half open cab that works great either way. Horizontal with a slightly leaned back baffle. Great rock cab without resorting to a highly scooped voicing. Bruce knows how to voice speakers (did a bunch for Fender besides the amps everyone knows about) and is a rocker at heart.

20. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Mine sounded like a screaming banshee!!! :eek:

I had 2 Wizards and both had the same problems. Back they went - never again.

Here's a few other choices not often mentioned, but these speakers are absolutely killer and no cone cry... Scholz & Fane AXA12 - alone or together they are incredible.