whats the best delay pedal for ej tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by strat1953, Sep 11, 2005.

1. strat1953

strat1953 Member

looking for the delay timing eric j uses.what peadls will sound like his?i play strats

2. Marcello

Marcello Member

I get some good results with the digitech digidelay in tape mode, warm tone. Really good pedal IMO...

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Might try the Maxon AD999 - very warm analog delay...

4. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

try looking at electroharmonix analog delay .

5. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

6. guitarhurricane

guitarhurricane Member

In the latest guitar one mag, you can see a line 6 dl4 setting to the right of EJ in his studio. I know he is using several different delays live and of course they all are not in the signal chain. The mics run to a mixer and into different delays. That said though, the dl4 seems to be what he is using when he doesn't set up his entire live rig or whatever. You also get models of some of the delays he has been known to use. The EP3 model is not too bad, I really like the memory man model, the analog delay is pretty good, and the tc 2290 is not quite the real thing, but for the cost pretty nice really. It would be great to set it up like EJ post mic and have some powered monitors to keep the signal true, but it is true bypass if you set it up that way and I don't notice too much of a change in tone.

7. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

He used to use an Echoplex live, in addition to an EH Memory Man. I just saw him on Fri. night, and he only had the Memory Man. Basically any good analog delay will do. He also uses some digital rack mount effects that are added after the sound from his amps is miced.

Jeff

8. Azon

Azon Member

That's rather odd. I just saw him last night (sat) and there was not a Memory Man anywhere. He uses an old rackmount MXR delay, a Lexicon, and a Line6 Echo Pro. All three are run through a Allen & Heath 14.4.2 Mix Wizard, and then sent out to a pair of JBL Eons. I knew the production crew for the show, so I got to walk the stage and see Eric's Gear close up.

Az

9. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I saw the Memory Man on his pedalboard plain as day Fri. night. They also called it out by name during the soundcheck.

All that rack stuff is post-mic.

10. 37Hauser

37Hauser Member

Not a pedal. but I have a Chandler Stereo Digital Echo that really sounds great. They pop up on ebay from time to time. Very warm and analog sounding ala EJ

11. guitarhurricane

guitarhurricane Member

The memory man is on a seperate pedal board that sits right in front of the rack. According to guitar player, the rack has a mxr flanger doubler, a lexicon mpx 500, line 6 echo pro, a korg sdd 3000, and a tc 2290. The seperate pedal board has footswitches for the different delays. I am fairly certain the mxr is only for the flange on high landrons. I saw only 3 things in the rack too, though. The korg and the tc may be front of house gear.

The korg sdd 3000 seems like a great delay unit, but they are going for super escalated prices. The chandler delay should be just about as good, just not nearly as programable.

12. jcs

jcs Member

he had a memory man at the kc show on wednesday..

btw, anyone think his marshall was a little flat sounding this tour?

i though it was a bit but probably turned too much to be dynamic..

the fender twins sounded great though:dude

13. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

+1!

14. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

yeah, i would have to agree...i was standing at the front of the stage and was only hearing the amps and the Marshall was compressed to the point of a hint of mushiness...i thought the Fiesta slab-board had a lot to do with it because when he swapped for his EJ at the encore, it was a more focused tone....

15. Azon

Azon Member

Well there was nothing in front of the rack, and no MM on the pedalboard. The rack only had the MXR delay(not a flanger/doubler) a Lexicon, and the Line6. There was no 2290. He does have another Lexicon out front, but it's for vocals.

The MXR is a delay unit. He played High Landrons, and did it without any flanging.

Eric uses the mixers faders to bring in more or less delay. There were no footswitches on the floor.

Who knows, he could have switched some things up that day.

Also, the pictures on his website are outdated. He's changed around his pedalboard. His Fuzz Face is now gray, not red. Still has the rubberband though!

Az

16. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I have to completely disagree with any assertion that an AD-900 or 999 would get you EJ delay tone. Killer delay’s (I have an AD-900), but add that extremely dark tone to a smooth, rounded OD tone ala EJ, it’s going to sound like mush.

I suggest on a budget:

Either the Digitech Digidelay suggetsted here or my favorite the Echo Park set to the Tape setting. The Echo Park sounds a lot better than the DL4. It uses parallel processing instead of running your entire signal through the modeling. And it has updated software where even the Digital setting is nice and warm, but still clear.

Without a budget:

Fulltone Tube Tape Echo, finally played through one, it was amazing. Tape delay sounds nothing like analog delay. I’d say that the TTE has more in common with a digital tone than an analog tone. Much clearer than you might expect, but the tone control allows for a perfect warmer tone if that’s what you need.