• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

what's the best fuzz pedal for under $200

dnegreiro

I'm looking to experiment with some fuzz pedals, which do you think I should try. I like the fuzzes used by silversun pickups and MGMT. I like things that sound different. Don't know much about fuzzes. Opinions?

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
how different do you want to sound? a vexter fuzz factory is in your price range and can get insane.

Strat58

Hi the Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face from MXR (with buffer) and Dunlop great Fuzz pedals for low price.
Peace Strat58

malabarmusic

Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Exceptional tone and surprisingly versatile between the mini-knobs and internal trimpots. $159 at GC with 30-day return option.

- DB

Passenger84

Silver Supporting Member
For a 'different' sounding fuzz, the Lovepedal Karl might work. My fav fuzz right now is the Hartman germanium fuzz.

charmboy

Several in that price range, but my favorites (which are fuzz faces) would have to be the Dunlop JH-F1 or the Analogman standard SunFace... but if I were in your situation I'd spend the extra $35 and get the NKT275 Sunface by Analogman. It's one of the best fuzzes out there...

You can get several different types of Big Muff varieties in that price range as well. And, if you're handy with a soldering iron, head over to Build Your Own Clone and/or General Guitar Gadgets, and you could get yourself 3 or 4 different kits (fuzz faces, muffs, tonebender mkII) for that price and figure out which you like best!

ninjaaron

Monsterpiece fuzz pedals are all $110, they sound awesome, and there are a lot of models:

Classic - pretty much a Germ Fuzz Face Clone
PNP - SiGe hibrid based on the Fuzz Face (but still different)
NPN - Silicon Fuzz, also based on Fuzz Face, more transparent
MKII - ToneBender Clone
AD 2000 - 'biker fuzz'

The Fuzz Face style pedals (and maybe the others, I don't know as much about them) all have a bias knob that allows you to change the character of the fuzz, going from really fuzzed out, to a much more transparent distortion type sound. I think it does this by regulating the power supply... not really sure.

If you are interested, the builder hangs out on HCFX under the moniker duderanimous, and that is the main way to contact him. There is a huge thread (2,063 posts) all about these pedals. The folks there will give you the low-down, and Richard (the builder) will answere any questions you have, he is a really cool guy.

txbluzmn

I wouldn't go spending $300 or more on a Fuzz unless you knew for sure it was "the one" you wanted, but having said that, the best fuzz you can get IMHO is a Analogman Sunface and it will cost you $235 for the NKT-275 version.

Fuzzes aren't like distortion pedals where you either like the sound or you don't. They are more picky about what you have plugged into them and what you have them plugged into. Don't plug an Ibanez RG-550 into a fuzz and then to a Gorilla amp and expect anything good to come of it.

Also, there are a lot of manufacturers out there making cheap "fuzzes" that if you tried the wrong few would totally turn you off to fuzzes altogether when in fact the right fuzz can become the cornerstone of your whole sound.

Just my two cents... Happy hunting!

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
The Hoof by Earthquaker Devices is an awesome fuzz for well under $200. It is in the Big Muff vein, but it is pretty versatile.

drod2045

Silver Supporting Member
Vexter Fuzz Factory. You can almost anything out of it. The oscillations are awesome too

AnthonyL

Gold Supporting Member
Jetter GSB

Lovepedal 200lbs

MJM London Fuzz

Fulltone '70

The key, IMO, with a Fuzz is to have the amp pretty loud...

shngn7

Dunlop JH-F1 (my personal favorite silicon fuzz) or the MXR Classic 108 which is basically the same thing as the JH-F1 but with a switchable buffer.

dnegreiro

has anyone ever used a "death by audio" fuzz? they're completely over the top and strange. i've never heard of anyone using one for anything. The sound clips on the website are not all that useful.

Mojambo

has anyone ever used a "death by audio" fuzz? they're completely over the top and strange. i've never heard of anyone using one for anything. The sound clips on the website are not all that useful.
Apparently The Edge bought a bunch of Death By Audio pedals recently. Check youtube for some demos...good stuff

drunkenguitar

hack
Silver Supporting Member
Big Muff: Blackout Effectors Musket.

Fuzz Face: MJM London Fuzz.

Pure High Gain Insanity: D.B.A Fuzz War.

All within your price range.

thetangmang

If you're interested in trying out a Fuzz Head I have one for sale in my sig.

For crazy sounds, though, the Catalinbread V8 is worth a look.

Snail

Actually, the Dano Cool Cat fuzz has beat out my other fuzzes (Lovepedal Karl, Skreddy Lunar Module, and some others...), amazingly, and at a fraction of the price. Hard to believe, but true.

Trending Topics