• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What's the best guitar tool?

DC1

I need something to throw in the case for changing strings and quickie trussrod tweaks and general guitar/amp fixit chores when not at home.

Who makes the best guitar tool?

TIA

dc

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
I'd like to know what everyone's found to be good in multi-purpose guitar tools also.

I currently carry around a bunch of screwdrivers, cutters, needle-nose pliers, mag light etc and would like to streamline if possible.

I've seen a few things on-line but it's difficult to gauge quality from a pic and not much is sold locally here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Voodoo Blues

I have a Planetwaves thing that had a string winder, wire cutters and a built in tuner. Not sure how good it works, I got it as a gift and I've never used it but in theory it should be great. Use a rubber band to keep an allen tool and a small screw driver on it and you should be set.

I'm sure if you look on musiciansfriend there are more options.

KBN

To actually answer the question now...

I haven't found a dedicated guitar tool that I really like. I keep a little plastic tool compartment in my accessories bag and just keep the individual tools I need. I keep a string winder, needlenose w/ clippers, allen wrenches (I keep two for each size needed. I have a way of misplacing them), and screwdrivers. I also keep a Leatherman as an emergency backup. They have bottle openers.

dancehall

:roll

I was gonna say Yngwie Malmsteen.
yeah that's a better punchline, Mayer's actually really cool and has a sense of humor about himself. I was just playing on the attitude some people have about him. No offense Mayer fans!

acwild

I have a Planetwaves thing that had a string winder, wire cutters and a built in tuner. Not sure how good it works, I got it as a gift and I've never used it but in theory it should be great. Use a rubber band to keep an allen tool and a small screw driver on it and you should be set.

I'm sure if you look on musiciansfriend there are more options.
I have the model that has a string winder, cutter, and pin puller. It has made string changes much faster and seems like it'll last.
Other than that, I use allen keys and a Leatherman Juice. There's a holder for allen keys that keeps them behind the headstock.

kludge

The droid you're looking for
It's actually a banjo tool, but it'll work...

(I bought this t-shirt for the banjo player in one of my bands)

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
This thing is pretty handy
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Wrenches/1/ESP_Multi_Spanner.html

I also have a leatherman.

For gigs I bring a small tool box loaded with all kinds of tools and guitar stuff. You can never be too prepared. I use locking tuners so a string winder is uneccesary

Socket set
Allen keys
Wire cutter
Wire strippers
5 in 1 screwdriver
4 in 1 mini precisicion screwdriver (eyeglass sizes)
Velcro
Gaffer tape
Electrical tape
Extra strings, tubes, picks, straps, fuses etc.
Batteries
Flashlight
3 prong adapters
Multi meter
Radio shack outlet tester

I don't think yer gonna finda a small multi tool with all of that

StompBoxBlues

Is it friday?

This is turning into a pretty funny thread. Just thought to mention that I have seen a tool in the back of Gutiar Player (NO...not Mayer) in the ads section, maybe even more than one, that professes to be everything a guitarist needs all-in-one.

Personally, like you say, sometimes these things are on the flimsy side (ever had a "knockoff" Leatherman? I got something approximating it, and the handle bent like softe wax on the first nut I tried to unscrew...useless.)

I gave up trying to "be prepared" for absolutely ANY situation...but I do take spare strings, a screwdriver with removable shaft (so two types of phillips, two of "normal"), plastic peg turner, needlenose, and extra batteries. Also one extra 12AX7 preamp tube. Oh yeah... a wiping cloth. BUT THAT's where I draw the line. In any band I've been in, they all think I'm way overprepared, but I KNOW guys here are taking along 50 times more...I just can't prove it.

But the WORST...someone in the band needs a battery, or string, so you dig in your stash, and produce it...I swear, they NEVER say thank you, never replace it, and never even look appreciative. Not only that, it is often the very folks that make fun of you for being so prepared...

Boy... I surprised myself with that tirade:mad::rolleyes:

DC1

I would say a screwdriver and something to cut the strings

.. but the chainsaw was a lot of laughts :rotflmao .
Yeah, I think Fogarty is still twirling those during his solos. Impressive for a one-armed man, I must say!

:banana

dc

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Yeah, I think Fogarty is still twirling those during his solos. Impressive for a one-armed man, I must say!

:banana

dc
Yep. They used to call him "Fearless". Now they call him "Lefty".

Trending Topics