What's the best guitar you ever played?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slider, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Mustake

Mustake Member

A Robin Avalon...not sure what year it was, but it was a new model. If I would have had the cash at the time I would own it. I've played others since then, all very nice guitars but none of them had he feel that "one" had.

2. dgood

dgood Member

My '99 R0 with Timbuckers

3. damo7v

damo7v Member

in terms of playability and not necessarily tone, and at the risk of alienating myself from the vintage snobs :moon, i'd have to nominate my ibanez jem7vwh. it arrived with a beautiful set-up from rich harris. easiest guitar i ever played.

[​IMG]

since then i've moved away from the diddly-diddly-weee-weeeee with-a-side-of-whammy stuff, and am looking for a CS strat to become my favourite. i guess you could say i'm beginning to favour tone over effortless playability once more.

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

My Suhr Classic T is the winner hands down

5. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Several come to mind that I did not have a chance to compare directly so I'll list them:

late 60's Guild Starfire III - played, felt and sounded (both acousticly and electricly) alive.
    1955 Tele that I owned for a while.
    1953 ES175 (a friends)
    Guild Artist award I played in a shop once.

My curent CS 63 tele (under 7lbs, 9.5 radius and jumbos - KILLER tele that is as good as the 55, maybe better) and my current Martin J-41 special acoustic.

6. Thomas D

Thomas D Member

Very similar experience, except in my case the instructor had brought his latest acquisition - an older blonde ES-175. I played it for the full hour and then some. This was back in about 1982, and I've played a few really nice guitars since, but nothing quite as special as that one. I shudder to think of what the current market price would be.

7. oxtone

oxtone Member

1. My '64 Strat, that I got in 1972 for $75.00. No longer own...:rolleyes:

2. My '81 Walnut "The STRAT", which I've customized with medium-jumbo frets, Vintage Vibe SP-90's, Earvana Nut, Wilkinson
    Vintage Trem, Sperzels.

3. Tyler Studio Elite - one I got to borrow from a friend for a weekend gig . Probably the most balanced guitar I've ever played. It also had the most comfortable neck and frets I've ever played.

4. Anderson Cobra - recently played a new Blue Quilted one at Willie's Guitars in St. Paul. It's set up so perfectly, it practically plays itself!

8. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

1959 slab board strat, neck fit like a glove. the pups werent anything to write home about though.

my '62 reissue with JM Rolphs that i have now sounds pretty damn good.:)

9. celestialpivot

celestialpivot Supporting Member

Tom Ribbecke guitar
    thinline awesome.
    Sam Koontz jazz guitar

10. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Best acoustic: My old custom-built David Wren jumbo cutaway. David used to build for Jean Larrivee, but surpassed his mentor. We worked on the design and wood selection for awhile, and the result was outstanding! Runner-up is Bob Wallace's '57 Martin D-18; total cannon. New stuff? Anything from Bill Collings or William "Grit" Laskin.
    Best electric: (In no order) A Pensa-Suhr John built while he was building for Knopfler. Everything I've ever played from Gene Baker. Faracaster's Gustavsson. A McNaught Singlecut I couldn't afford at the time. A LP Heritage 80 Elite quilttop with real PAFs I used to have. Haven't played a Thorn yet.-Eric

11. 73171

73171 Member

1) My '76 Les Paul Custom (fingerboard trimmed to a perfect radius and re-fretted by Terry McInturff) ....

2) Many years ago I owned one of the best archtops Gibson has ever made...an early sixties Johnny Smith.

3) a new James Goodall acoustic at a local guitar shop (Harry's in Raleigh...great place!) no, I don't own it..I can't afford it!

12. Bryan102552

Bryan102552 Member

A 1952 Les Paul ..... the one with the trapeze tailpiece and no "real" bridge, owned by a guy that I bought a '77 LP K.M. from (that's another story). That '52 LP was amazing, and not for sale (obviously). Mojo out the ya-ya!!!

As far as guitars that I own, the best playing by far is my '91 LP Studio with ebony fretboard, super slim neck, Duncan JB and Jazz pups (both coil-tapped thru push/pull "tone pots"), and bypassed tone circuit. It's OK to laugh if you've never played it ...... it's probably THE guitar I would never let go of.

13. WKG

WKG Supporting Member

The best guitar I have ever played would be my 05 Fly Mojo. :RoCkIn

:D

14. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller

1952 Tele all original....played it 3 yrs ago when I worked at a guitar store...was absolutley amazing

15. Ogre

Ogre Member

Acoustic: Eddy Arnolds 1930s Martin D-28 herringbone that belonged to a bluegrass pal up in Irving, Texas.
    Electric: My 1969 Gretsch Country Gentleman- tone to die for.
    Runner-up: 1954 Strat #1004

16. Deja's Blues

Deja's Blues Member

I've owned over 50 Stratocasters in my life and I have to say, the best one I ever owned, or should I say, the one I liked the most was the 1st year production 1987 New "American Standard" (Olympic white w/rosewood board) These guitars were actually hand-built and the attention to detail was Flawless... It had a 9.5 radius, 22 Medium-jumbo frets, and weighed in around 7 3/4 to 8 lbs, and was balanced perfectly.... The guitar had a wonderful warm tone, and the neck was perfect...

I, by accident, put a bad Ding in the upper-horn, and it bothered me so much, I couldn't bare to look at it, and let it go.... HUGE MISTAKE!!

Other noteable Stratocasters that I've owned:

-1997 VooDoo-Caster, (Olympic White w/Maple-cap neck) - AWESOME!! Look at when they're selling for on ebay right now... I saw one go for $2,800!!

-1997 '62 American Vintage resissue in Fiesta Red.

-1999 '62 American Vintage resissue in Candy Apple Red.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  17. armanHammer

armanHammer Member

I'm happy to say, my Japanese '57 strat.

18. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

the best guitar i played in the last year was a 60s Les Paul Customs Shop.

19. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

For me, it's this one:

[​IMG]

This specific PRS Modern Eagle is the single most amazing instrument I've ever played. I find myself playing music that I didn't even know I was capable of. :AOK

20. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

I can't tell you. I'm trying to buy it, and the owner might read this page. :nono

Best,
    Cowboy