What's the best HALL reverb pedal on the market?

Joe Manganese

Boss RV-500. Fantastic plate and hall algorithms. It also should immediately get “Best-in-Class” award, for a pedal-based reverb, due to fact you can put reverb in parallel (with a built-in digital delay, or another reverb) AND you can assign full effect ducking parameters to either reverbs/delays. It is the only reverb in pedal-format, to my knowledge, that has these capabilities. Also, there is the 32-bit/ 96Khz processing and A/D D/A converters.
I had the rv500 and sold it quite quickly. Plastic sounds. A toy with tons of parameters and not a single decent preset, boss expecting users to find one. Got an h9, different worlds. Kept the great Neunaber and for ambient the bigsky. An hardwire rv7 which i keep spare is ditching an rv500 twice on Sundays

Gibsonchild

Gumpy Old Man
Is there any particular version of the Neunaber Wet that’s “better” than the others? I realize that’s a matter of subjectivity, but I’m curious if there’s a particular version that the majority of users seem to prefer?

Tung-Sol Tube

Have you had a chance to compare the RV-7 to the Golden at the same time?
I'm thinking about replacing my Golden with something simpler, but I'm not sure if there's anything comparable sound-wise to the Hall 224 mode.
Not at the same time, unfortunately but I do have a good frame of reference. The RV-7 hall is fantastic, but it doesn’t have as much decay on tap or modulation. The modulated mode on the RV-7 is not the typical Lexicon modulated reverb, it’s more like a fancy “flerb”.

The RV-7 reverbs have roots from the Lexicon MPX1, which in turn has algos from the PCM80. These are smoother and less “grainy” than the 224’s (224 is still classic though!).

Is there any particular version of the Neunaber Wet that’s “better” than the others? I realize that’s a matter of subjectivity, but I’m curious if there’s a particular version that the majority of users seem to prefer?
I think the V1 variations are quite popular (especially the 1.1.1 modulation knob and stock were versions), as well as the V3 (on Immerse MkII and Illumine). The “Wet Reboot” (V2) is only available on the Immerse MKI and Expanse through the software so I think it’s a bit more esoteric.

They each have their pros and cons, but they all sound very good and aren’t dramatically different—more like different shades of the same color. Different stereo imaging, predelay, etc.

jujube

Hey guys!

I'm a heavy reverb user that currently owns a TC Electronic Trinity 2.

I've played with it a lot, experimenting with all the modes and also a couple of toneprints, and I've always found myself liking the hall reverbs more than any others.
To me, an hall reverb sounds more realistic than a plate, which always sounded too thin for me, and a spring reverb is not fat and lush enough for what I like.

Apart from the sporadic weird reverbs, I use an hall reverb 90% of the time, so I decided to upgrade my reverb pedal and focus my search on the ones with the best hall reverb sounds.

What do you think are the best hall algorithms at the moment?

Thanks!
I use Eventide Space with my own Hall preset or Lexicon PCM 81. PCM 81 is perfect and smooth right out of the box for reverbs.

Jr Deluxe

This question can't be answered until you ask what is the best guitar and best amp. Then you need to ask what is the best overdrive pedal. In fact without knowing the best delay, modulation, ring mod, and synth pedal, knowing what is the best hall reverb is a waste of time.

Deuterium

Plastic sounds. A toy with tons of parameters and not a single decent preset, boss expecting users to find one.

Here are some representative audio examples —

Check out “Big Plate” at around 14:10 time stamp. Then “Haunted Hall” at 16:55

Last edited:

triviani

Silver Supporting Member
I had the rv500 and sold it quite quickly. Plastic sounds. A toy with tons of parameters and not a single decent preset, boss expecting users to find one. Got an h9, different worlds. Kept the great Neunaber and for ambient the bigsky. An hardwire rv7 which i keep spare is ditching an rv500 twice on Sundays

I kinda agree, sold the RV500 a week after receiving it.

Deuterium

It certainly isn’t for everyone, and particularly not for guitarists who prefer to have simpler reverb controls that are WYSIWYG. However, if you come from rack-based reverbs, the quality and depth of the Boss RV-500 reverbs are, well, more comparable with the powerful hardware rack reverbs. The converters and DSP processing are also at a much higher level than almost all other pedal reverbs, with the only others in the same league being Source Audio, Strymon, UAFX, and Empress. Coincidentally, like Roland/Boss, those others just listed do NOT use the ubiquitous but inferior Spin FV-1 chip.

Last edited:

Joe Manganese

Here are some representative audio examples —

Check out “Big Plate” at around 14:10 time stamp. Then “Haunted Hall” at 16:55

Those are native presets. Unusable.
Good only for ambient demo, or some kind of music played at 45 bpm.
When it comes to let the dry signal in front of the reverb, and the reverb never run over the dry, then you see what a valid algo can do.
I believe that when reverb theory was explained, the programmer from Boss was at the bathroom.

Try a lexicon reverb or a neunaber, or an h9.
For ambient, nothing come.close to a bigsky, nothing.

AStrangeDay

I really enjoy the Hall setting in the Eventide Space and in the Source Audio Collider and between those two, My favourite Is the One in the Collider

Deuterium

Those are native presets. Unusable.
Good only for ambient demo, or some kind of music played at 45 bpm.
When it comes to let the dry signal in front of the reverb, and the reverb never run over the dry, then you see what a valid algo can do.
I believe that when reverb theory was explained, the programmer from Boss was at the bathroom.

Try a lexicon reverb or a neunaber, or an h9.
For ambient, nothing come.close to a bigsky, nothing.

Hello Joe,

You’ll get no argument from me when you are talking about a hardware rack-based Lexicon PCM 7X/8X/9X. However, with all due respect, you are just wrong when it comes to your bashing of the RV-500. It is almost as if you never had a chance to learn its capabilities. There is full analog dry through capability with the RV-500. It also has ability to run two reverbs in parallel (or series).

One doesn’t even need to dive deep into the user manual to confirm this. It is right on the main features description from website:

The RV-500 features 32-bit/96 kHz AD/DA, exceeding all industry standards for pedal-based effects. All internal processing is 32-bit floating point and runs at a 96 kHz sampling rate as well, delivering pristine sonic quality that goes beyond the highest-level digital processors used in top pro studios. If you wish, you can run your analog dry tone straight through so it’s completely untouched with digital processing. You’re also able to select true-bypass or buffered-bypass operation to suit the needs of your setup.

It is also clearly highlighted in this Boss video @ 00:49 time stamp:

Joe Manganese

Hello Joe,

You’ll get no argument from me when you are talking about a hardware rack-based Lexicon PCM 7X/8X/9X. However, with all due respect, you are just wrong when it comes to your bashing of the RV-500. It is almost as if you never had a chance to learn its capabilities. There is full analog dry through capability with the RV-500. It also has ability to run two reverbs in parallel (or series).

One doesn’t even need to dive deep into the user manual to confirm this. It is right on the main features description from website:

It is also clearly highlighted in this Boss video @ 00:49 time stamp:

I am astonished. Building good hardware is not enough , it's the software that does the difference. Brian Neunaber could teach something to other builders, with it's simple hardware.
I spent enough time with the rv500, to understand its capabilities. Boss did not deliver a fully programmed reverb unit: instead they delivered arguable algorithms with tons of parameters. It's just like if you entered a restaurant and instead of bringing a good dish, they brought you a bunch of ingredients.
In software this is exactly what happens when programmers cannot come themselves to good results, so they dump the task on the end users shoulders.
I have been a software developers for many many years, been there done that.

Then you pick up a good unit like lexicons or eventide or even empress and you immediately know that the starting point is already excellent.
So far i have returned:
Empress (hardware failure, no backups, terrible user interface but great sounds, one of the best)
Ventris (too many bugs and no special sounds to my ears)
UAFX golden (no presets, power supply issues, wet dry path issue)
Rv500

Omi79

I am astonished. Building good hardware is not enough , it's the software that does the difference. Brian Neunaber could teach something to other builders, with it's simple hardware.
I spent enough time with the rv500, to understand its capabilities. Boss did not deliver a fully programmed reverb unit: instead they delivered arguable algorithms with tons of parameters. It's just like if you entered a restaurant and instead of bringing a good dish, they brought you a bunch of ingredients.
In software this is exactly what happens when programmers cannot come themselves to good results, so they dump the task on the end users shoulders.
I have been a software developers for many many years, been there done that.

Then you pick up a good unit like lexicons or eventide or even empress and you immediately know that the starting point is already excellent.
So far i have returned:
Empress (hardware failure, no backups, terrible user interface but great sounds, one of the best)
Ventris (too many bugs and no special sounds to my ears)
UAFX golden (no presets, power supply issues, wet dry path issue)
Rv500
So what stayed?

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
This thread was started before the UA Golden got released. I had said Mercury 7, Neunaber, and Draume but since the thread is active again I’m going to adjust my answer to reflect the times because I only have one hall reverb pedal now:

UA Golden

Trending Topics

Top Bottom